• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Undroppable" players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
It's been discussed before but so has every other topic on this board.

I don't like the term "undroppable" I think form should be the only indicator. Well, that's how I go about it on "Football manager"and it works.

It's quite obvious who they are, but what exactly does a "fringe" player have to do to displace a senior member of the first team?

I might be wrong but last time I saw a player overtake an undroppable player's spot was when Gerrard took Redknapp's place in the team. If I remember it correctly Redknapp had a long injury lay off.
Is that the only way?

I mean what if Pacheco started scoring for fun during Cole's suspension, would that have been sufficient enough or would the gaffer look to replace another player in the line up?

You can argue that Arbeloa took Finnan's place or that Alonso took Hamann's but Rafa made it quite clear before they joined that they were going to be first choice.

Skrtel vs Agger vs Kyrgiakos (Kyrgiakos hasn't put a foot wrong since he joined but he's still considered 4th choice, is it his hair?)

Kuyt vs Maxi (Sure, Kuyt is first choice but we can't disregard Maxi. I mean he's an Argentine international FFS)

Babel vs Jovanovic ( This spot should really be up for grabs)

That's why I didn't mention Gerrard. But wasn't Redknapp the captain when Gerrard took over?

Your Captain is always undroppable.

The only other players are the truly world-class ones, and then those bought for a massive fee, and the manager feels he has to include to justify such an outlay.

I would say the best player we improved upon in recent years was Dudek for Reina.

At the time I wasn't convinced we needed a keeper at all, but there's no complaints now.

[quote author=Modokay link=topic=41824.msg1172065#msg1172065 date=1284143582]
It's been discussed before but so has every other topic on this board.

I don't like the term "undroppable" I think form should be the only indicator. Well, that's how I go about it on "Football manager"and it works.

It's quite obvious who they are, but what exactly does a "fringe" player have to do to displace a senior member of the first team?

I might be wrong but last time I saw a player overtake an undroppable player's spot was when Gerrard took Redknapp's place in the team. If I remember it correctly Redknapp had a long injury lay off.
Is that the only way?

I mean what if Pacheco started scoring for fun during Cole's suspension, would that have been sufficient enough or would the gaffer look to replace another player in the line up?

You can argue that Arbeloa took Finnan's place or that Alonso took Hamann's but Rafa made it quite clear before they joined that they were going to be first choice.

Skrtel vs Agger vs Kyrgiakos (Kyrgiakos hasn't put a foot wrong since he joined but he's still considered 4th choice, is it his hair?)

Kuyt vs Maxi (Sure, Kuyt is first choice but we can't disregard Maxi. I mean he's an Argentine international FFS)

Babel vs Jovanovic ( This spot should really be up for grabs)

[/quote]

Yeah, there's some valid examples there. I do think Kelly could seriously challenge Magic for the first-choice RB slot, simply because he's a more consistent defender. It's always easier for a manager to make that decision, of course, when they themselves haven't spent £18m on the player that will be dropped in favour of a youth-team graduate.

Although, to be fair to Rafa, he had no compunction in not selecting Keane and Aquilani.

This season, I worry that Poulsen will be undroppable - mainly because he's the only out-and-out DM in our squad. And, of course, because Roy loves him. Ditto Konchesky with the LB slot.

Kuyt and Lucas have definitely lost their undroppability factor though.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=41824.msg1172134#msg1172134 date=1284151204]
I do think Kelly could seriously challenge Magic for the first-choice RB slot, simply because he's a more consistent defender. It's always easier for a manager to make that decision, of course, when they themselves haven't spent £18m on the player that will be dropped in favour of a youth-team graduate.
[/quote]

We should definitely try this. Not only would we be more solid defensively but we would have a tricky, pacey threat on the wing (at last) with a player who can actually go past people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom