1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Video technology used for sending off in U20 World Cup (Argentina v England)

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Frogfish, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eo-referees-send-Argentina-player-20s-WC.html

Red card for me.

I want the right decision. No matter if it takes a couple of mins 4 or 5 times a game to get that decision (Sky would love the extra 10 mins a game - imagine the extra advertising revenue they could get in over a full season).

If Liverpool were to lose to an offside goal from Chelsea we'd be (rightly) indignant but Chelsea would pocket the 3 pts and that could be a title decider. Make your own mind up if you'd want to lose a title like that.

Or maybe a Cup FInal. And no, it statistically impossible for it to even out over a season, for either side, the samples are just too low. Of course it goes without saying the cup won't even out.

However the introduction of Sin Bins would make it easier for refs. If they were undecided in that it was a clearly a straight Red Card offence (50-50 say - an offence but how severe ?) then they could have the option of 15 mins in the Bin or a Red card.

2. momoWASboss

momoWASboss Well-Known Member

It will come in at some point. Most likely in the next two seasons. I'm all for it. Retrospective diving is all well and good but imagine losing 1-0 to a penalty that was won by a dive. The retrospective ban won't change the result.

On another note, Argentina do have boss kits.

3. FoxForceFive

FoxForceFive Administrator Administrator

I doubt all most decisions would take more than a minute to decide. As long as it wasn't a constant break-up of play then I'm all for it.

Used two or three times a match it would probably waste less time than the ruling rounds feigning injury & moaning over decisions we have now anyway.

eecheerow likes this.
  4. Gerry_A_Trick

Gerry_A_Trick Very Well-Known Member

That decision above is debatable. As will some others even after decisions are made by video, but there's no reason not to make it easier to make the right ones at the time. Next step will be retrospective action, whether a ref has seen it or not. Those combined should help make it a cleaner game.

5. Markeh

Markeh Very Well-Known Member

Would have given a yellow for that only because it is totally plausible that the Argentine player was trying to throw the English players arm off himself and the follow through hit the English players face.

Not sure it was a straight violent elbow to the face at all that would count as violent conduct.

ibromurph likes this.
  6. Frogfish

If you are throwing your ELBOW back and not a straight arm, then it's more than plausible it's a deliberate effort to strike the player behind and not just fend him off.

7. Markeh

Markeh Very Well-Known Member

He grabs the England players wrist though and throws it off, it's not possible to do that with a straight arm. You know, the reason we have an elbow...

ibromurph likes this.
  8. ibromurph

ibromurph Well-Known Member

100% agree. He grabs the wrist and throws it off. Accidentally elbows him on the follow through.

9. Frogfish

Well no one knows if it was accidental or not - except the player concerned. One thing is clear though, the video ref and match ref. agree with my interpretation :D

10. ibromurph

ibromurph Well-Known Member

I guess that makes all 3 of you wrong then! :p

Frogfish and Markeh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.