• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Virgil, will Man U do you a favor?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
‘They need to do themselves a favour.
Everton is not easy to beat at home, but 4-0 is a big result.
We have no influence on that. But they are still playing for Champions League football and they need to get a result.’

captain's response.

Reading through Redcafe threads about the City game, and most of them would rather lose on Wednesday and see City win the title. Even though that would mean the EL for Utd.

Imagine not wanting to be in the champions league at the cost of one of your rivals winning a title and not your city rivals. Bunch of bad meffs

You would think why any fan wouldn't like to see a bitter rival win the title, pride would kick in and you would demand a performance at home in a derby.

I remember close to 30 years ago when we played Blackburn last game of the season. Kenny's team needed to win for the league. A defeat would let United in to steal it. It didn't make a difference to Liverpool, but much as I loved Kenny I could not cheer for a Liverpool defeat. I took my wife to the cinema, and came out to the happy news that Liverpool had won, but that United had failed to beat West Ham, giving Blackburn the Title anyway. Only rational explanation of the United fans' attitude is that they are a mentally and morally inferior people.

I remember close to 30 years ago when we played Blackburn last game of the season. Kenny's team needed to win for the league. A defeat would let United in to steal it. It didn't make a difference to Liverpool, but much as I loved Kenny I could not cheer for a Liverpool defeat. I took my wife to the cinema, and came out to the happy news that Liverpool had won, but that United had failed to beat West Ham, giving Blackburn the Title anyway. Only rational explanation of the United fans' attitude is that they are a mentally and morally inferior people.

I remember that afternoon and the cheers after Jamie I think scored and put us 2-1 up and then another cheer followed having learnt about United fucking it up. Still we had to win the game despite knowing what an advantage it was for United.

We stood in the Kop, aged eleven, & began to cheer Blackburn on, we were soon told off by the older heads around us "Doesn't matter what other sides do lads, you ALWAYS support the reds".

Our tiny, misguided voices for that first minute were the only dissenting voices we heard that day, the rest of the crowd were right behind their side. As it should be.

You'd hope the Utd fans have a similar attitude when it comes to the actual game.

We stood in the Kop, aged eleven, & began to cheer Blackburn on, we were soon told off by the older heads around us "Doesn't matter what other sides do lads, you ALWAYS support the reds".

Our tiny, misguided voices for that first minute were the only dissenting voices we heard that day, the rest of the crowd were right behind their side. As it should be.

You'd hope the Utd fans have a similar attitude when it comes to the actual game.

I actually think they'll get caught up as soon as the game starts. Nobody wants to watch a loss to their city rivals.

I actually think they'll get caught up as soon as the game starts. Nobody wants to watch a loss to their city rivals.
Exactly that. It's one thing to say it before the match, quite another to watch your closest rivals & traditional derby opponent & want them to beat your side on your own ground once it actually kicks off.

It was 24 years ago! You had me thinking there for a bit... I remember it well, I actually know I guy in Germany that still supports Blackburn to this day because of that. But yeah, I could not ever support a different team or want us to lose.

I was there that day too on the Kop and believe me yours was not the only voice dissenting, I believe we were seated that time? It does get hazy the memory and I was probably standing just like everyone with a seat does do anyway!

Yes we did support the Reds, or at least I did, But I do remember the odd encouragement issued on the lowdown all of us also wanted Kenny to win...

As for United tonight

They got no fucking chance.

I was there that day too on the Kop and believe me yours was not the only voice dissenting, I believe we were seated that time? It does get hazy the memory and I was probably standing just like everyone with a seat does do anyway!

Yes we did support the Reds, or at least I did, But I do remember the odd encouragement issued on the lowdown all of us also wanted Kenny to win...

As for United tonight

I was in the Kemlyn, at the Kop end. A few fights broke out in the Kop when Shearer scored the first goal and some fans celebrated. From my point of view I went into the ground confused as to what to want, but as soon as the team came out on the pitch I had to support them ... I suspect it will be the same for most mancs tonight

ManUre fan on Talksh!te just now was saying there are loads of match tickets still available, far more than he can ever remember for a Manchester derby.

Doesn't exactly sound like they're rallying behind the flag.

ManUre fan on Talksh!te just now was saying there are loads of match tickets still available, far more than he can ever remember for a Manchester derby.

Doesn't exactly sound like they're rallying behind the flag.

Should be an interesting atmosphere. Personally I can’t wait to watch it. In the pub. With a UTD fan.

Fuck this game. I am in Italy and my local bar (they don't do "pubs" down here) is closed due to some National holiday for marking end of the war. On a sidenote my Italian ain't good enough to understand whose side the locals were into but I guess I will not dig too deep there anyway. However, that leaves me short on alternatives and it look like I have to watch the game with a few other Norwegians where at least one is a United fan. I don't really know these people well and I guess after tonight the relation might be a bit weird.

As for United tonight

It was definitely standing. Spoke to my mate about it last night, we weren't eleven though, think about 13 or so. He has a much better memory than me & said that after they scored there were a few cheers, including from us. We got the talking to by the older fellas around us who always looked after us (including making sure we didn't get knocked over & stood on when the Kop surged forwards!), then the crowd all got behind us properly.

I do remember the end more clearly though, the Blackburn players all being dejected for what seemed like minutes, before finding out that they'd actually won the league. I remember Kenny's name being chanted & him making a point of clapping the home & away fans.

Think your memory might be playing up mate. Kop went all seater in '94 and Blackburn won the title in '95.
Fuck. It definitely is then! We both thought it was still standing then! Should have looked at the date of the Blackburn match, I've got the Kops last stand programme signed by the team in our bedroom so see the date every day!

Can we promise one thing tonight gents. No jinxing or reverse jinxing the Utd city match thread. Just let it play out

Pretty much everything that happened from 1989 till 1999 just blurs into one blob, so exactly what happened and who said what to who and where are jammed together to create a totally unreliable narrative. Picking solid memories with all the right people and things said and done including the location would be like trying to unmake a long island ice tea into half a dozen shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom