• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Was Beckham overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The galactico era - at least whilst he was there - wasn't very successful at all considering all the investment. Think Beckham won one title whilst he was there and I think it was more down to Barca losing than Real winning it that year.

Or do you mean subsequent success?
Just relaying what I was told. Maybe “success” is the wrong way to express it but what they said was all the other players upped their game because of his influence in training, and that was something they really weren’t expecting.

However, he was also relatively slow, thick as fucking pig shit and a massive fanny.

That was his overbearing characteristic. Couple of quotes from interviews:-

"You get a lot of attention from the press, David. How do you cope with that?"
"Its not just the press, its the media too"

When describing Zidane:
"He's got that certain 'je ne sais quoi', but I don't really know what it is"

And then there was the time that he came off the pitch at the end of an England game and boasted, on air, to a worldwide audience (that included FIFA officials) about how he deliberately got a yellow so he could time his suspension

In his prime,on the right for Man Utd , I’d say underrated.
Terrific energy and running.
Not quick , but didn’t need to be with that World class right foot delivery. More influential than Giggs (Overrated)during that era.
Can’t think of too many who matched him in that area for consistency and quality in the EPL.
He became overrated when he fancied himself as a midfield general (or quarterback), prancing around hitting Hollywood passes.
So the answer is No & Yes.

This is one of the few occasions I've seen Dantes actually make a good point. It's just a shame he is defending the woke virtue signaller, David Beckham.

He runs a business in America's most Trumpian state, demonstrating the virtue of capitalism, and by now he is probably having to launder all kinds of Colombian pesos through Miami. What's not to like about the guy?

Beckham only played 265 games for United with 63 goals. Good player, great right foot. But was deffo over hyped. Real United legends play 500+. He was never in the category where you can say on his day he was unstoppable, or best on the planet just a top quality midfield player. We had plenty of them and so did they. Wasn't as good as Scholes as Scholes did all his talking on the field..Beckham did 40% yap off the field.

I dont think anyone hyped him up to be termed as overrated during his time. To this day, he is to me the best and most consistent crosser of a ball i have ever seen. Also in my view he became one of the best free kick takers of his generation.

I cant remember Liverpool's score from this weekend, let alone an England match from 25 odd years ago. His free kick at the end was a decisive goal, right? Or am I misremembering that?

My key memory was one of contempt for the fawning emanating from the press & fanboys

Yeah they were losing 2-1 and needed a point or something.

I think he is a clever man who was an excellent footballer He was clever enough to look after himself and exploit his skills to the max and he did have a long and successful career. Even post football career he still has been successful although he does not come accross well in front of a camera. There are too many examples of superb footballers and other athletes of world class with limited intellect who failed after reaching the age of 35.

Firstly, it's Piers Morgan that's overrated. He's never won a twitter argument with Gary Lineker and is your typical armchair fan but has a platform.. nauseating.

Secondly, Beckham was solid. He was/is smart marketed himself well.
But even the most gorgeous intelligent footballer couldn't market themselves unless they have something on the pitch.
He was a leader, brilliant crosses of the ball and amazing at free kicks.
Not enough to involve him in the bestest ever convos and unfair to compare to Trent etc... But a top quality player.

Plus he has his whole petulant kid, death threats story to scoring penalty v Argentina etc.

On the flip side, anyone think Thomas Muller is underrated? The guys stats is incredible for a MF. 18 assists this season in the league and he is 32 and is slow as a snail

Excellent. Can we now make this a catchall thread for anyone we think may be overrated (Ronaldo) or underrated (Igor Biscan) and really piss Rosco off?

I don't think you can really overrate anyone getting mad stats for Bayern. No one has come close to them in that league since Klopp won with Dortmund, and that was ten years ago. Beckham did leave united and end up winning player of the year for Real Madrid. Anyone saying he wouldn't have got a game at Arsenal is a fucking nob.

I know what!!!!

Lets’s do a Best XI of overrated players and a Best XI of underrated players.

That’ll kick things off.

Becks over Robben and Figo ? Haha

Some of you must be very young back then. I’d take Robben and Figo over Beckham all day anytime in any era, everyday and forevermore. They’re miles ahead of Beckham in terms of skills.

But if you’re talking bout good looks, marketability and commercial value, Becks obviously’s ahead.

These retrospective rethinks of a player are waste of time.

Beckham was a knob but was a great player in his era and that’s all you can ask for.

He lacked pace even noticeably during back then when top teams preferred to play solid 4 in midfield the fact that never got in the way to consistently contributing in games says a lot.

His main asset to be able deliver a ball is still lauded so that says a lot about his standing now.

Excellent. Can we now make this a catchall thread for anyone we think may be overrated (Ronaldo) or underrated (Igor Biscan) and really piss Rosco off?

Ross pretends to hate catch-all threads yet spends all of his time in the GC mega threads that are catch-alls for almost every general interest subject. Its a tough place for him right now.

Ross pretends to hate catch-all threads yet spends all of his time in the GC mega threads that are catch-alls for almost every general interest subject. Its a tough place for him right now.

WORDLE is keeping him busy half the time - so his output has thankfully reduced.

He barely has time to log in as Dantes anymore.

I don't think Beckham was overrated. He was a top player, played for top teams and won pretty much everything worth winning at club level.

Was he up there with the greatest players ever? Would he get into an all time best 11? No, probably not, but I don't see many people arguing that he would.

Really weird to start comparing Robben, Figo and Beckham just because they happened to play in fairly the same part of the field.
Very different skillsets.

Ross is dantes?

Wow and i thought the world has gone mad. 6CM’s way much madder.

einhorn-is-finkle-4vgyrs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom