• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What would Fergie do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan

Active
If roles were reversed, history suggests Ferguson’s handling of the Suarez-Evra thing would be exactly the same as Kenny’s.

Certainly in his time at Utd, Ferguson has always thrown a protective blanket over his players whenever they’re under attack from outside, regardless of their subsequent guilt or innocence. Cantona, Schmeichel, Robson, Giggs, Evans, Blackmore, Rooney and even Evra himself are just some of those he has steadfastly defended in the full glare of publicity. He only ever publicly deals with a player when that player directly challenges him or undermines his authority – Beckham, Stam, Ince, and van Nistelrooy spring to mind.

Perhaps this is why United have such a winning mentality…their manager has led the players to believe they are untouchable and that’s the attitude they take out onto the pitch. Some call it a siege or bunker mentality.

Kenny was brought up under Jock Stein and Bob Paisley and their approach was exactly the same. Protect the player in public, deal with matters arising internally. Ferguson is from similar stock.

Kenny and Ferguson both accept that such public displays of loyalty to their players will from time to time damage their own reputations. Both consider this a price worth paying in the interests of the club because for them, nothing and nobody is more important. Both will always ‘take one for the team’.

On this latest issue, Kenny and Ferguson have dealt with their respective players in an almost identical fashion. Both have defended their man and neither will countenance the other side of the argument. The one big difference is, Ferguson has attacked the other man, Kenny has not.

We don’t know how Kenny and the club are handling this internally. Perhaps a decision has already been taken that Suarez will have to go in the summer? Perhaps he has actually been disciplined. I like the fact that we do our business quietly, it’s how we used to go about things. Maybe that’s what Suarez was referring to yesterday when he said all is not what it seems?

Kenny knows that a public reprimand for Suarez now risks alienating arguably his best player at a time the club desperately needs him. It would be true to form if Kenny puts club before self in choosing to deal with this matter when the time suits.

Both have defended their man and neither will countenance the other side of the argument. The one big difference is, Ferguson has attacked the other man, Kenny has not.

Good stuff Lefty. I'm not sure what we do about the above, but I'll be damned angry if the club, amongst other things, don't defend the integrity of a man who has given far more of himself to this club than anyone had a right to expect. To see him vilified like this is agonising.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=48658.msg1481642#msg1481642 date=1329054649]
Both have defended their man and neither will countenance the other side of the argument. The one big difference is, Ferguson has attacked the other man, Kenny has not.

Good stuff Lefty. I'm not sure what we do about the above, but I'll be damned angry if the club, amongst other things, don't defend the integrity of a man who has given far more of himself to this club than anyone had a right to expect. To see him vilified like this is agonising.
[/quote]

That's my worry Macca...that the new owners act in what they consider the interests of their 'brand' even if that's to the detriment of the club. The owners could show an understanding of the club by publicly supporting Kenny but I don't expect them to do so.

So Luis has spoken to Kenny and apologised. As I said, Kenny has dealt with this internally.

Fab post and thinking about when cantona assaulted the palace fan did fergy say he was a disgrace and should never play for utd again? what a hypocritical twat he is..

[quote author=Shadey link=topic=48658.msg1481663#msg1481663 date=1329056700]
Fab post and thinking about when cantona assaulted the palace fan did fergy say he was a disgrace and should never play for utd again? what a hypocritical twat he is..
[/quote]

No, I think the fan he kicked got banned for using racist language didn't he?

[quote author=Richey link=topic=48658.msg1481680#msg1481680 date=1329057698]
[quote author=Shadey link=topic=48658.msg1481663#msg1481663 date=1329056700]
[/quote]

No, I think the fan he kicked got banned for using racist language didn't he?
[/quote] Probably right

I think had the shoe been on the other foot yesterday, Ginsoak would have done what he normally does and just refused to speak to the media. In fact, there probably would have been a blanket ban in place as soon as there was even a whiff of negative press right from the start.

Personally I think it was obvious they were gonna try and stir shit up, so I think Kenny should have just fucked 'em off

Yes. It's naive to think there was a 'right' way to talk to Shreeves. Every angle was covered. Refusing to speak would have generated its own negative publicity, but not as much.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=48658.msg1481791#msg1481791 date=1329066800]
Yes. It's naive to think there was a 'right' way to talk to Shreeves. Every angle was covered. Refusing to speak would have generated its own negative publicity, but not as much.
[/quote]

That would be the ideal, but media management is seemingly beyond our club at the moment.

Ayre is gone, this whole fucking mess has sealed it.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=48658.msg1481791#msg1481791 date=1329066800]
[/quote]

Shreeves was like an interrogator when talking to Dalglish and an arse licker when talking to Ferguson.... "So, Sir Alex..." yawns.

Shreeves has been pumped up with his own inflated Opinion of himself since the soccer am days with Lovejoy treating him like some football guru. Shreeves has had nothing but contempt of me for ages and Saturday further confirmed to me that he is wort of it.

I tell you what, id fcuking love to have been Geoff Shreeves.

So Kenny, what sort of formation was that?
So Kenny, why so fucking negative?
So Kenny, what did you do to alter the course of a match you were clearly losing in every aspect?
So Kenny, why - even when you had 5 across midfield - was Paul Scholes allowed the freedom to dictate the entire match?
So Kenny, when you said Downing is a better player than you thought - how fucking bad did you think he was going to be?
So Kenny, after spending over 100M - why is your club still 7th?

Shreeves let him off lightly.

Re: Re: What would Fergie do?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=48658.msg1#msg1 date=1329086530]

So Kenny, what did you do to alter the course of a match you were clearly losing in every aspect?
So Kenny, why - even when you had 5 across midfield - was Paul Scholes allowed the freedom to dictate the entire match?
So Kenny, when you said Downing is a better player than you thought - how fucking bad did you think he was going to be?

[/quote]

Yeah but they're valid questions, unlike his handshake ones.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=48658.msg1482022#msg1482022 date=1329086530]

[/quote]

WTF are you on about. Isnt that that the complete point. Not handshakes. Its the team selection stupid!

406541_318617451523364_100001253363132_985432_168055685_n.jpg

[quote author=jono@home link=topic=48658.msg1482085#msg1482085 date=1329098321]
406541_318617451523364_100001253363132_985432_168055685_n.jpg

[/quote]

QFT

That picture forgets to include the united players who didn't shake Viera's hand in 2005.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=48658.msg1482022#msg1482022 date=1329086530]

[/quote]

Oh I agree with all of that.

But Shreeves went for the other line. The Sky sensationalist bollocks line. Because its betters suits their "Super Sunday", "Grand Slam Sunday" bullshit hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom