• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

When in Rome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
So Italy are quite literally and spectacularly exploding. Players kicked out of the squad, players threatening to walk out, the manager threatening to take the squad home, the president saying they should go home, all that coupled with their third successive warm up defeat.

Irishers. Youve got a really good chance here havnt you?

Spain obviously SHOULD top the group but youve every chance of progressing given how fucking good your coach is.
Good luck guys, will be ace if you progress.

I dunno the last time they had a scandal like this when the tournament came around it galvanised the group and they won the world cup, i dont see them winning the european champioship but i think this will be a spectacular French style implosion or they will take on a siege mentality and play above themselves and go deep into the competition

Isnt Croatia in there aswell? They're a very good team and will progress along with Spain.

Beating Italy was probably our best chance of springing a surprise.
Take them out of the equation and Croatia will know that if they beat us in the opening game will see them progress.
Personally I would prefer to play a cocky Italy, thinking all they have to do is show up to beat us.
The way thinks are going their will be a seige mentality within the squad and they will be well up for the fight.
I would be delighted if we go into the last group game, which is against Italy, with still some sort of chance, any sort of chance, of progressing.

Best case scenario for Ireland is winning the opener against Croatia while Spain destroy a fragile Italy sending them into free fall

I think the Irish are a lot better AS A TEAM than people are giving them credit for.
Greece won this tournament in 2004 playing unnatractive combative football. They came out of a group including Spain and Portugal.
I think the Irish will last longer than Hodge podge's Engerland.

I think we will struggle to score goals Oncey.
Unless Keane has one of those runs when he sores a few quarter chances, or opposition defences are unsettled by our set pieces I can't see too many goals.
That said three draws might be enough to see us qualify and after that I fancy us in the peno shoot outs

I think Ireland will do OK, nothing more. Same as England. Difference is people expect England to do well. Really not sure why that is. Anyway, I think Carroll will be a monster in this tournament

The Irish do have a good team, but I think its one thing doing it the quals and then one thing performing in the tournament itself.

The Irish will struggle to score goals. I reckon they'll open with a 0-0 against Croatia, but Croatia will outscore them in the other games.

Anyway, thank goodness for the Euros. I am really looking forward to all the games
It fills that footy void and will hopefully be a little less divisive than normal fotball matters on here.
I mean, we are all from different countries right.
What can possibly go wrong?

I dont think ANYONE expects England to do well.

Yep, I've been saying it for ages, this Irish side will surprise. And I think that's regardless of what and how Italy are going.

He'll go for a draw against Croatia, no doubt. The key is not to lose in your opening game otherwise you're just about fucked. Get a draw, keep the confidence high, and move on.

We'll lost to Spain which is fine. So you go at Italy. They're the ones Trap will want to beat, and significantly the ones he'll think we can beat. They play into our hands, they don't come at teams, they don't have great pace, and they don't launch counter attacks, we'll do them with a set piece or something.

And for those of you who haven't seen much of Ireland, here's the spoilers: we're very very organized and structured which to the neutral would be horrendous to watch. Our only imagination and flair come from Duff and McGeady on the flanks, that's it. They're allowed to play, nobody else is. The two in the middle, Andrews and Whelan are really limited but they work well together and they shield the back 4 brilliantly.

Our best player is still Dunne. Ignore the flagging Premier League form, he's an utter colossus in an Irish shirt.

We are dull to watch though, you have been warned.

I think the Irish are a lot better AS A TEAM than people are giving them credit for.
Greece won this tournament in 2004 playing unnatractive combative football. They came out of a group including Spain and Portugal.
I think the Irish will last longer than Hodge podge's Engerland.

Too right. I fancy us to get to the semis at least, seriously.
We have a great record under trap. It won't be pretty but it Will be very effective. So long as we take the few chances we get we'll be laughing.

Hope so. My only grievance is that Paul Green might play. This would sadden me deeply.

We have a great record under trap. It won't be pretty but it Will be very effective. So long as we take the few chances we get we'll be laughing.

Ha ha! You are utterly deluded if you think Ireland are getting out of the groups.

Love the way Ireland get underrated. Italy haven't beaten us in a competItive game in 22 years. We're lightweights on paper but anything can happen - and Trap is a good results manager

I think Ireland will do OK, nothing more. Same as England. Difference is people expect England to do well. Really not sure why that is. Anyway, I think Carroll will be a monster in this tournament

If Uncle Woy plays him as anything other than a last gasp desperate sub.

I was disappointed that he didn't get a run out yesterday. Seems to me with Welbeck & Defoe getting the nod yesterday that he is looking for a similar style of play to when Rooney starts rather than something different with Carroll.

And I thought England supporters were deluded !

The key is not to lose in your opening game otherwise you're just about fucked. Get a draw, keep the confidence high, and move on.

Sorry but the key to getting through the group stages is to beat the weaker teams in your group not draw against them and hope to beat the stronger teams - regardless of the order in which you play them. This 'don't lose the opening game' which people roll out is bullshit. There are plenty of examples of teams losing their opening game and then going on to win the tournament.

Whatever the chaos in the Italian squad at the moment they are still a better team than Croatia (who are not a poor team by any stretch of the imagination). Ireland need to beat Croatia, and maybe Italy too, to advance IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom