• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xavi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roopy

Very Active
"I have Shankly's 'Football isn't a matter of life and death, it is more important' above my bed. I read it every time I go to sleep.

That phrase sums it up. Football is a passion for me, a way of living. Football is everything for me and gave me everything."

I'm grateful to football. I've worked hard, but I was also lucky. I can dedicate my life to my passion. I'm aware I'm privileged."

- Xavi. :cool:

"I have Shankly's 'Football isn't a matter of life and death, it is more important' above my bed. I read it every time I go to sleep.

That phrase sums it up. Football is a passion for me, a way of living. Football is everything for me and gave me everything."

I'm grateful to football. I've worked hard, but I was also lucky. I can dedicate my life to my passion. I'm aware I'm privileged."

- Xavi. :cool:

:) Legend!

At LFC now his role is going to be crucial, so Rodgers doesn't just need to decide who'll play it in the first XI, but also who will under-study it in the ressies. That will require the ressies to be treated much more as a bona fide team rather than the strange revolving door that it's become. It needs someone playing in that role week in, week out (or fortnight in, fortnight out, knowing the shambles of a fixture list there is), and the shape and discipline has to be maintained all the time. I've no doubts Borrell can do that brilliantly, but the attitude to the reserve team has to be changed.

At LFC now his role is going to be crucial, so Rodgers doesn't just need to decide who'll play it in the first XI, but also who will under-study it in the ressies. That will require the ressies to be treated much more as a bona fide team rather than the strange revolving door that it's become. It needs someone playing in that role week in, week out (or fortnight in, fortnight out, knowing the shambles of a fixture list there is), and the shape and discipline has to be maintained all the time. I've no doubts Borrell can do that brilliantly, but the attitude to the reserve team has to be changed.
I think you've posted in the wrong thread?

He might be a legend but isn't it a bit daft to hang an joke quote above your bed..

and worse, not realize that Shankly never meant it?

He might be a legend but isn't it a bit daft to hang an joke quote above your bed..

and worse, not realize that Shankly never meant it?
Disagree - Shankly was a motivator an orator, simple one liners still penetrate the soul regardless of how it was meant. Read some of the Shankly quotes before a Sunday game and let me know how you feel.

Disagree - Shankly was a motivator an orator, simple one liners still penetrate the soul regardless of how it was meant. Read some of the Shankly quotes before a Sunday game and let me know how you feel.

I was around throughout the Shankly era, and Hyena is right. Shanks was certainly a motivator, one of the best there's ever been, but he was also (a) fond of putting on a performance for the media and (b) far too sensible to actually believe what he said in that quote.

He didn't mean it, but that gets lost over time and all that is left is an iconic quote that emotes

Ultimately, joke or not, that quote inspired

You are all assuming he did not mean it, and in that you are then also assuming when it came to football shanks thought logically - he didn't , he was totally consumed by the game

regards

Vlad's right. When I was growing up I don't recall anyone saying that line was a joke. It was only after tragic events in the 80s that I started to hear people say he didn't mean it.

Fair enough if it wasn't a joke.

TBH don't care either way

Vlad's right. When I was growing up I don't recall anyone saying that line was a joke. It was only after tragic events in the 80s that I started to hear people say he didn't mean it.

Agree with this entirely.

It was only after life and death became a tragic part of football that people claimed he didn't take that quote seriously.

I was pretty young as Shanks finished his management time but my father was adamant that, at the time, he meant every word. Whether he'd have felt the same way after events such as Hillsborough is no doubt unlikely but, at the time, he offered no such caveats.

I respect the contrary views and the posters who've expressed them, but there is absolutely no way on this planet that Shanks meant that quote. Read his book and you'll see that behind the public facade his attitude to such things was far more down-to-earth. He ends the whole book with a quote from his Mum saying that, as long as you've got your health and strength, every day is a holiday - THOSE, gentlemen, were his true priorities. There was also at least one instance that I can remember when he gave one of his typical fire-breathing interviews on TV and then, when the interviewer and cameraman had gone, said to (I think it was) Ronnie Moran: "That'll make a good show for 'em". Shanks was a powerful combination of orator and actor. If you want to get a true idea of the man, don't confuse the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom