• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Your 21/22 season expectations

Prefix for Poll Threads

Expectations for this season

• Pace setters

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Close challengers

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • 4th at best

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Totally off the pace (5th and below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • CB - we're still not sure - at least as fans - whether we're going to get VDV and Gomez back a) on time and b) the same as they were before. Konate, we all have high hopes for but he remains an unknown quantity as yet.

• RB - we have zero cover for TAA. If he gets injured for any length of time, we're fucked.

• LB - Robertson was (finally) showing the toll of having to play constantly last season. Hopefully Tsimikas can step up and prove he's not a total waste of money but again, question mark.

• CM - As things stand, we're looking pretty light in this area. Gini is gone, Hendo and Milner can't really play a couple times a week any more, Jones is still learning on the job and Ox / Keita.

• FW - We are light in this area also and last season out of the "front 3" we were almost solely reliant on Salah for long periods. Was it a blip or something more to be concerned about? Hopefully a blip but at least in Firmino's case, it's was the continuation of a downward trend. He still has great games but less regularly. Mane needs a strong start to the season.
It may be that we sign a couple of players that all prove to be smash hits, VDV comes back like a boss, everyone stays super fit and Mane makes us forget all about last season... but as things stand... lots of question marks.

So basically your issue with the squad is ... exactly what I said above, but expanded upon, and players returning from injuries where you are looking at potentially worst case scenarios however one has to look at historical data and generally that is encouraging even if there are exceptions.

We have some great cover in the squad too that won't really weaken the team to any great extent (Firmino for Jota, Gomez or Konate for Matip, Jones or Millie for Hendo and so on) with, as I mentioned, some notable exceptions that you have highlighted and I hope we address this transfer window but if we don't then I think 3rd/4th is what we're looking at.

Also depends on whether we get 2019-2020 season Mane refereeing decisions, or 2020-2021 season Mane refereeing decisions.
That again depends on Mane's form though. When he's on form he mostly goes down when there is an actual foul, last season he was going down when someone blew on him and this also affected the referees' decisions when it came to penalties/free kicks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom