• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Your iconic Virgil moment (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge Jules

6CM Addict
Was chatting to a Red friend about this yesterday. His nomination was the derby winner in Virgil's very first game which, he said, made him sit up and take notice that "we really could have a player here". My choice surprised him but I stand by it - it was when we played Salzburg at their place in the CL, Haaland tried to run Virgil in the first few minutes and got outpaced and outmuscled, with Virgil giving him a look which said "Don't be silly, sunshine".

What about you?

He won me over on his debut, as well. I thought we'd overpaid, but he instantly made me realise I was wrong.

I can't really think of many standout moments, because it's just been a long series of outstanding, awesome performances.

When he outpaced Traore was impressive. And that header to himself against Brighton the other day. He did something outrageous against Southampton earlier on in the season as well, knocking a looping ball calmly over his shoulder.

Too many to remember/mention

So many to choose from, think I'll go for the Tottenham game last season, the 2 against 1 where he out-witted Sissoko in the dying minutes. Pace, intelligence, reading of the game, awareness of the opponent's weaknesses, and, as always, cool as fuck. I don't think anyone else in the division could have done that, and it all looked so effortless.

I would definitely fail that Trump test as I can barely remember the ones you guys are talking about and my memory is sketchy at best, but it was one of his first home games, I forget who we were playing, but my seat is halfway between the halfway line and kop end so it's a good perspective for seeing relative pace.

When we bought him apart from when he played against us I'd only seen him on TV, I thought he looked a bit slow if anything, but this match, one of his first home games, I'm going to say it was West Ham and I'm going to guess it was Antonio, I just remember seeing him move about twice as fast while looking slower than him. His legs moving half as many times and overtaking whoever he was up against with ease, as if a different species. Me and my mate looking at each other like what the fuck is going on? Hearing other people around just laugh. We're used to it now but it was quite weird at first.

So many to choose from, think I'll go for the Tottenham game last season, the 2 against 1 where he out-witted Sissoko in the dying minutes. Pace, intelligence, reading of the game, awareness of the opponent's weaknesses, and, as always, cool as fuck. I don't think anyone else in the division could have done that, and it all looked so effortless.
This is the one for me too.
It proved to me that not only was his ability to play the game top drawer but also his ability to read it.
Realising that the biggest threat on goal was Sissoko passing to Son and so took that option away from Sissoko before forcing him to shoot with his weak left foot.

Good shout. That was one of the finest examples of individual defending in a pressure situation that I think I've ever seen.

His ball to Mane Bayern away.

Or even recently against I think Burnley, when he let the ball hit the back of his head and the striker was still running thinking the ball was looping over him :D

Sissoko :D :D

Yeah that 1 on 1 is a good shout. no other defender couldv'e done that.

Good shout. That was one of the finest examples of individual defending in a pressure situation that I think I've ever seen.
But DB said it wasn't very good, fairly simple and very risky; in fact, I think he described it as crap defending, as Virgil never got between the ball & the goal.

And if DB says that, it must be true ;)

And, yes, I have just started three consecutive sentences with a conjunction

Apart from the sissoko one, and the traore one, and the Derby header and every other bloody thing he does, my absolute favourite is his inch perfect cross in the Derby just onto the cross bar for Pickford to fumble and origi to pick up the pieces.

I always have a chuckle at this one: Flamengo defender when he realizes it's his job to mark Van Dijk on a corner:

EMZnYaFXsAEg2jB.jpg

The fact that no-one dribbled past him for like a year was an amazing stat. I wonder how that makes you feel coming out onto the pitch against him

The goal against Utd, not because it was sensational or difficult, but because it was so easy for him. Maguire was hyped as the best defender, more expensive than Virgil, he made a point of it. He expects to win, he demands it of himself, that shit is contagious.

images

Hes a fucking boss

The look he gave United fans.

Pure and utter contempt.. like "you think Blockhead is better than ME just because Rashford knocked me off balance ONCE"

Van-Dijk-3.jpg
The goal against Utd, not because it was sensational or difficult, but because it was so easy for him. Maguire was hyped as the best defender, more expensive than Virgil, he made a point of it. He expects to win, he demands it of himself, that shit is contagious.

images

Hes a fucking boss
This is what I was talking about. Pure boss.

It was playing on my mind what game he gave that stare against when he scored...thought it was Soton at Anfield.

But DB said it wasn't very good, fairly simple and very risky; in fact, I think he described it as crap defending, as Virgil never got between the ball & the goal.

And if DB says that, it must be true ;)

And, yes, I have just started three consecutive sentences with a conjunction

I don’t think I said it was crap, just not outstanding and pretty standard for a good defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom