• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Youth vs experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
So far almost all the players we've been seriously linked with are quite young, 22 or younger. Several older players (Skrtel, Lucas, Toure?) might leave this summer. Do you think it creates a problem for next season given that our squad is already one of the youngest in the league and lacks natural leaders and cool heads (or does it)? Should we target signing some experienced players as well, even knowing they would cost more and move past their peak sooner?

...not if Gerrard's coming back.

But yeah we definitely lack leaders in the squad and to a lesser extent experience - I am less concerned about players age than their mental strength in this regard. I mean maybe Matip, despite his tender age, is a great leader?

We need leaders but more than anything. Starting from the back.

FSG seem to be sticking with their youth model rather than breaking the bank for experience. It's exciting to be linked with young talents, but then I shudder at being looked at as Arsenal-lite or another Spurs. It deeply concerns me that we don't have enough winners and leaders in the team too. In Basel, we were crying out loud for someone to rise up and grab the lads by the scruff of the collar to the promised finishing line.

...not if Gerrard's coming back.

But yeah we definitely lack leaders in the squad and to a lesser extent experience - I am less concerned about players age than their mental strength in this regard. I mean maybe Matip, despite his tender age, is a great leader?

We need leaders but more than anything. Starting from the back.

I think Matip does have leadership qualities and he's not too young, turning 25 in August. Actually come to think about it, I'm not worried about the back 4 all that much, if we sign Jonas Hector for LB (it seems he's the 1st choice target at this point), plus Matip, Lovren, Clyne and a young, but very confident goalkeeper in Karius.

FSG seem to be sticking with their youth model rather than breaking the bank for experience. It's exciting to be linked with young talents, but then I shudder at being looked at as Arsenal-lite or another Spurs. It deeply concerns me that we don't have enough winners and leaders in the team too. In Basel, we were crying out loud for someone to rise up and grab the lads by the scruff of the collar to the promised finishing line.
Now that you mention Spurs I actually believe they have a player in Dele Alli - despite a young age - that's capable of driving a team forward.

Yes he lacks experience but when he's got that too he'd be well out of reach money-wise anyways. That's the type of players we should be looking at imo and we have to sign them before they become 'too good'.

Now that you mention Spurs I actually believe they have a player in Dele Alli - despite a young age - that's capable of driving a team forward.

Yes he lacks experience but when he's got that too he'd be well out of reach money-wise anyways. That's the type of players we should be looking at imo and we have to sign them before they become 'too good'.

Still early days, but yeah, I think Gerrard took up the captaincy at 21 which was also pretty young.

I wonder if it's a Klopp thing to buy younger players, train them, father them, instill the mentality he wants and create leaders rather than buy leader?

Going back to a post after the UEFA final, where people talked about the long term plan and taking the time to build the team with a solid base rather than splurging tens of millions on players who cause problems in the dressing room. It just means however we have to be a little more patient.

We will need experience at some point to take us over the top but I suppose it depends how close Klopp and the powers that be think we are to winning things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom