• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Poll 90th minute Free Kick - goal wins the league - who you got?

Prefix for Poll Threads

90th Min Free kick

• Steven Gerrard

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • John Arne Riise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suarez

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • TAA

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Coutinho

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Fowler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molby

• Gary Mac

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Danny Murphy

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Another

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Is Gerrard the only answer here?

I’ll have a soft spot for Murphy after his winner at OT.

Anyone else?
Hamman?
Berger?
Redknapp?

Any older players?

Dug up the stats on FK goals scored by us, and here they are:

Gerrard - 10
Suarez - 8
Coutinho - 5
Trent - 4
Murphy - 4
Gary Mac - 3
Aurelio - 3

Gerrard scored a few, but he also missed a ton. Always thought Gerrard was good at hitting those closer to the box because he could hit them low and hard, through the wall, which is what you need closer to the box. When the dead ball was a bit further away, I always thought Gerrard was a bit hit and miss. He had the power always of course, but never had the wicked bend that the great free kick artists have.

Of the lot, Suarez was easily the best free kick taker I've ever seen for Liverpool. He could go over, under, around and through the wall, from any distance. Simply outrageous technique from a variety of angles and distances coupled with power and bend. 8 goals in just 3 years is testament to that, when Gerrard had 10 in his entire career.

Coutinho struggled to shoot in the beginning of his career, and used to be lampooned for that, but in his final couple of years, he really became a deadly shooter, and there were a few amazing FKs he scored.

Trent, whilst obviously a talented striker of the ball, I find very one-dimensional. He tries to always go over the wall. That sort of technique requires the dead ball always a certain distance away and at a particular angle. He needs to work on his craft, and try and start hitting it around the ball and through the wall, and get more whip while striking the ball low. Can't expect to only get free kicks at your preferred angle 30 yards away. Almost everything he takes these days goes flying up above the crossbar.

Coutinho in his last two seasons his fk was a real weapon. If we were going to get that version then I'll have Coutinho over the others on offer.

Depends on the position really, if it's a bit further back and long way out Riise for some kind of a hail Mary attempt at goal is not a bad shout.

Last edited:
Mish: good post as per and I particularly agree about Trent. When he scores in open play he's shown he can keep it low very effectively.

If who ever takes the free kick will score then Alisson.
If it's a set play Trent
If it's a straight shot on goal, we'll who has the most goals from taking free kicks.
Luis Garcia has scored some crucial goals in his time.
For the future Ward-prowse

Last edited:
Dug up the stats on FK goals scored by us, and here they are:

Gerrard - 10
Suarez - 8
Coutinho - 5
Trent - 4
Murphy - 4
Gary Mac - 3
Aurelio - 3

Gerrard scored a few, but he also missed a ton. Always thought Gerrard was good at hitting those closer to the box because he could hit them low and hard, through the wall, which is what you need closer to the box. When the dead ball was a bit further away, I always thought Gerrard was a bit hit and miss. He had the power always of course, but never had the wicked bend that the great free kick artists have.

Of the lot, Suarez was easily the best free kick taker I've ever seen for Liverpool. He could go over, under, around and through the wall, from any distance. Simply outrageous technique from a variety of angles and distances coupled with power and bend. 8 goals in just 3 years is testament to that, when Gerrard had 10 in his entire career.

Coutinho struggled to shoot in the beginning of his career, and used to be lampooned for that, but in his final couple of years, he really became a deadly shooter, and there were a few amazing FKs he scored.

Trent, whilst obviously a talented striker of the ball, I find very one-dimensional. He tries to always go over the wall. That sort of technique requires the dead ball always a certain distance away and at a particular angle. He needs to work on his craft, and try and start hitting it around the ball and through the wall, and get more whip while striking the ball low. Can't expect to only get free kicks at your preferred angle 30 yards away. Almost everything he takes these days goes flying up above the crossbar.
When I think Stevie free kicks I always think of Villa away opening game of the season, top bin for a 2-1 win and the piledriver vs Newcastle.

I put Coutinho but this is a real tough choice.

Don't think there's much in it between him Trent Suarez or Stevie......Rest don't get much
of a look in for me.

I mean...Gerrard scored 10, in how many appearances for us? When he was nigh on guaranteed to take every set piece

Suarez or aurelio for me.

Didn't realise Suarez scored so many.

Gerrard got better at them in his later years, and there was a period Coutinho seemed to bury the majority of the ones he stepped up to take.

Depends on the distance:

Edge of the box - Suarez.
A few yards out - Gerrard.
Long distance - Riise.

I mean...Gerrard scored 10, in how many appearances for us? When he was nigh on guaranteed to take every set piece

Suarez or aurelio for me.
Thing is, Suarez and Aurelio took the set pieces with Gerrard on the pitch.

Thing is, Suarez and Aurelio took the set pieces with Gerrard on the pitch.

Aurelio barely did, only when it favoured a left footer, or it was miles out.

Suarez took them when they were right next to the box. Gerrard was on everything else

Aurelio barely did, only when it favoured a left footer, or it was miles out.

Suarez took them when they were right next to the box. Gerrard was on everything else
Berger used to rake them, as did Murphy and Hamann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom