• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anfield - Too many tourists ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ace_of_Hearts said:
I don't give a flying toss if that post was made by you or anyone else. It just offended me so I felt it necessary to give my two pence on it. Ryan and VQ did but I don't see you childishly calling them 'being fixated on you' and shooting down all valid points they've made ??
Ah, the thing is Ace, apart from by original reply to AA very good post, the others have largely been somewhat flippant and not meant to be taken too seriously.

Let me re-state my position, which falls generally between the two camps.
Anfields original post was well thought out and realistic, however it has degenerated the way all these ooter threads do, into a cyber civil war.

As I said earlier on, I welcome people to my City, I will go out of the way to make visitors feel wanted and appreciated. The same , more so, applies to those from outside the city visiting Anfiled,
I was conceived here, born here, educated here, married a girl from here, brought my children up here, never felt the want or the need to move away from here, this is MY City.
The same applies to the football club.
I know fans from other cultures, and other countries in different hemispheres can and do have strong emotional ties to the club, and in some cases have been eloquently and almost movingly written about here, by Ryan , Rosco and others.
A great many of these fans are indeed better fans than some of the more casual home city supporters.
My problem is, and it has again happened in this thread, how disrespectful some people are to the the home City Liverpool fans , seemingly for having the audacity to have the club in their City, even suggesting that because we don't have to get up at 3am, or travel thousands of miles we are not of the same caliber as those in from Kuala Lumpur to New York.
Some even saying that if it was not for the income generated by these fans Liverpool would not be able to compete financially, others that if they did not go to the match there would not be full houses, as the home "fans" can't be bothered going (even though they all live around the corner). I am not about to get on my knees and than everyone for buying a replica kit, not when I could have brought a small island with the money I have spent over forty years of match-going support.
Some cheeky bastard even said that because he walks down Lord Street pissed on his way back to his hotel at 2.00am now and again he appreciates the City more than scousers.
Liverpool does need the income generated by overseas fans, just as every other successful European team does. If none of us had it the same status quo would still exist. In fact if it were not for the financial clout of the overseas fan phenomena United might not be the biggest club in the world.....your peers have a lot to answer for !!
So, as I said, welcome to one and all, I appreciate your support, and your commitment, and your shared fond memories.
However regardless of how many times you were jiggled on dads knee, or how much you remember about your first game, or how ever it was you fell in love with Liverpool, some of us have it in our blood, we may not be better supporters, but in some things in life there is a natural and inescapable reality. Liverpool FC is not some digital plaything that it matters not where it floats around , so everyone can own a piece, it is brick mortar steel and dreams and resides in Liverpool.

regards

Vlads Quiff said:
Ace_of_Hearts said:
I don't give a flying toss if that post was made by you or anyone else. It just offended me so I felt it necessary to give my two pence on it. Ryan and VQ did but I don't see you childishly calling them 'being fixated on you' and shooting down all valid points they've made ??
Ah, the thing is Ace, apart from by original reply to AA very good post, the others have largely been somewhat flippant and not meant to be taken too seriously.

Anfields original post was well thought out and realistic, however it has degenerated the way all these ooter threads do, into a cyber civil war.

As I said earlier on, I welcome people to my City, I will go out of the way to make visitors feel wanted and appreciated. The same , more so, applies to those from outside the city visiting Anfiled,
I was conceived here, born here, educated here, married a girl from here, brought my children up here, never felt the want or the need to move away from here, this is MY City.
I know fans from other cultures, and other countries in different hemispheres can and do have strong emotional ties to the club, and in some cases have been eloquently and almost movingly written about here, by Ryan , Rosco and others.
A great many of these fans are indeed better fans than some of the more casual home city supporters.
My problem is, and it has again happened in this thread, how disrespectful some people are to the the home City Liverpool fans , seemingly for having the audacity to have the club in their City, even suggesting that because we don't have to get up at 3am, or travel thousands of miles we are not of the same caliber as those in from Kuala Lumpur to New York.
Some even saying that if it was not for the income generated by these fans Liverpool would not be able to compete financially, others that if they did not go to the match there would not be full houses, as the home "fans" can't be bothered going (even though they all live around the corner). I am not about to get on my knees and than everyone for buying a replica kit, not when I could have brought a small island with the money I have spent over forty years of match-going support.
Some cheeky bastard even said that because he walks down Lord Street pissed on his way back to his hotel at 2.00am now and again he appreciates the City more than scousers.
Liverpool does need the income generated by overseas fans, just as every other successful European team does. If none of us had it the same status quo would still exist. In fact if it were not for the financial clout of the overseas fan phenomena United might not be the biggest club in the world.....your peers have a lot to answer for !!
So, as I said, welcome to one and all, I appreciate your support, and your commitment, and your shared fond memories.
However regardless of how many times you were jiggled on dads knee, or how much you remember about your first game, or how ever it was you fell in love with Liverpool, some of us have it in our blood, we may not be better supporters, but in some things in life there is a natural and inescapable reality. Liverpool FC is not some digital plaything that it matters not where it floats around , so everyone can own a piece, it is brick mortar steal and dreams and resides in Liverpool.

regards

S'right

In amongst all the emotional stuff about it's "in the blood" it should be taken into consideration that neither Senior Management, Team Managers and obviously the majority of players hail from the city, and haven't done so for decades.

Liverpool's fame and fortune have been largely built by "OOTers". Of course, one of the enduring claims to fame for LFC is the Kop and that undoubtedly is down to the locals. But to claim a special bond that is in some way different to a fan from elsewhere (who has stood on the Kop)is spurious.

I, like many others are not from the city, my first attendance as a boy was in '73, I feel I've played my part (as a tourist :) ), for long enough to be considered a true fan.

By the way, being a port city, especially in the days of pay at the turnstile, support has always been cosmopolitan at LFC.

I don't see how Scousers can be happy with a "bunch of wools" managing and playing for them, and then get all trembly lipped about how a few harmless day-trippers are uneducated in etiquette. Smacks of hypocrisy.

Vlads Quiff said:
Ace_of_Hearts said:

However regardless of how many times you were jiggled on dads knee, or how much you remember about your first game, or how ever it was you fell in love with Liverpool, some of us have it in our blood, we may not be better supporters, but in some things in life there is a natural and inescapable reality. Liverpool FC is not some digital plaything that it matters not where it floats around , so everyone can own a piece, it is brick mortar steel and dreams and resides in Liverpool.

regards

Yes I do get your point.

But that is not the reason why I joined this debate. Just cos I said foreign fans contribute to the income of the club, doesnt mean I completely ignore the contributions of the local fans as well.

You can't just swing the pendulum from one side of the debate to the opposite side, cos we both know that somewhere in between lies the truth of the matter.

Nobody's trying to blow their own trumpet of being the the more worthy fan. In fact we OOTs are merely defending ourselves from accusations of us displaying overzealous 'touristy' traits, which is why some of us go to lengths (even exaggerated, I must admit) to profess our love for the club.

Yes you were born with the blood of Liverpool so maybe you don't feel the need to express your love with bombastic flowery words on a daily basis. But we weren't. Instead of jumping into conclusion and accusing us OOTs of bragging our love for the club, why don't you take a positive stance instead and try looking at a different perspective. If anything else goes by, you should be very proud and honoured instead that people from all over the world are 'worshipping' and taking a special interest in your club and city.

I wish I could say this to everyone - Why can't we all join hands, shake on it and support the same team we both love, instead of segregating and differentiating ourselves by place of origins and way of upbringing ??

Ace_of_Hearts said:
If anything else goes by, you should be very proud and honoured instead that people from all over the world are 'worshipping' and taking a special interest in your club and city.

That is what I said, both in my reply to the original post and in this one.

regards

Vlads Quiff said:
Ace_of_Hearts said:
If anything else goes by, you should be very proud and honoured instead that people from all over the world are 'worshipping' and taking a special interest in your club and city.

That is what I said, both in my reply to the original post and in this one.

regards

I know.

Anyway, :shakeshand:

jexykrodic said:
I, like many others are not from the city, my first attendance as a boy was in '73, I feel I've played my part (as a tourist :) ), for long enough to be considered a true fan.

By the way, being a port city, especially in the days of pay at the turnstile, support has always been cosmopolitan at LFC.

I don't see how Scousers can be happy with a "bunch of wools" managing and playing for them, and then get all trembly lipped about how a few harmless day-trippers are uneducated in etiquette. Smacks of hypocrisy.

I wish people would read what is written instead of picking out what they think is written. I said that it is not a pre-requisite to come from Liverpool to be a fan, and that many of our best fans don't.

By the way, the days of the pay on the turnstile, sadly did not in any way reflect the ports cosmopolitan mix, other than our Irish friends. On the Kop forty years ago I seldom saw and black asian or far eastern Liverpool people.

I assume your last paragraph is referring to another post.

regards

Vlads Quiff said:
jexykrodic said:

I wish people would read what is written instead of picking out what they think is written. I said that it is not a pre-requisite to come from Liverpool to be a fan, and that many of our best fans don't.

By the way, the days of the pay on the turnstile, sadly did not in any way reflect the ports cosmopolitan mix, other than our Irish friends. On the Kop forty years ago I seldom saw and black asian or far eastern Liverpool people.

regards

I did read your post and very lovely it was, even if you both contradicted yourself and displayed arrogance.

Re-reading your last two paragraphs you give us permission to worship at the temple of Anfield but reserve the right to a special bond that can only be the domain of a scouser.

Perhaps cosmopolitan was the wrong word but if you're not from Liverpool you are an OOTer (or tourist or wool) no?

I am very appreciative of the fact that you have welcomed me to your city, but I see that you've avoided the fact that LFC have become famous on the back of people not from the city, this of course is very inconvenient when claiming the moral high ground.

Don't go thinking that people are mis-reading your post, they know only too well that their is a gap between what is written and true feelings (of sufficient numbers for this tired concept to be repeated ad infinitum), LFC which ever way you look at it is an international business with international support.

The stadium is in Liverpool, the support is worldwide and has been for decades.

Quick question lads since we are on the subject of visiting fans

Just got myself two tickets for the PSV game on the 22nd .
Having problems getting somewhere to stay though it seems that the only two hotels available that night are The Liner and The Sir Thomas which are both a bit pricey.
Has anyone here stayed in either of those and what they think ??

jexykrodic said:
Vlads Quiff said:
jexykrodic said:

regards

I did read your post and very lovely it was, even if you both contradicted yourself and displayed arrogance.

Re-reading your last two paragraphs you give us permission to worship at the temple of Anfield but reserve the right to a special bond that can only be the domain of a scouser.

Perhaps cosmopolitan was the wrong word but if you're not from Liverpool you are an OOTer (or tourist or wool) no?

I am very appreciative of the fact that you have welcomed me to your city, but I see that you've avoided the fact that LFC have become famous on the back of people not from the city, this of course is very inconvenient when claiming the moral high ground.

Don't go thinking that people are mis-reading your post, they know only too well that their is a gap between what is written and true feelings (of sufficient numbers for this tired concept to be repeated ad infinitum), LFC which ever way you look at it is an international business with international support.

Sorry, I now realise that I was completely wrong.

*makes mental note to now dislike all foreign twats*

regards

Doesn't it show dedication to the club if a fan is willing to travel 100's or 1000's of miles to see a game and see their team play?

Regardless of where they are from, everyone believes in the same thing and you can bet that Liverpool wouldnt be where they are now if it wasn't for OOTers.

If you're at the game, watch it and don't take pics though FFS.

Niall K said:

Having problems getting somewhere to stay though it seems that the only two hotels available that night are The Liner and The Sir Thomas which are both a bit pricey.

The Liner used to be the Gladstone, which has just undergone a huge and expensive re-furb.
I had some lads from work staying there while the refurb was going on, they really enjoyed it.
The Sir Thomas is where the players had the party after the european cup win.
The Sir Thomas , is probably the one that would be considered a bit more elite.
Where have you tried?

regards

Rouge Penguin said:
Doesn't it show dedication to the club if a fan is willing to travel 100's or 1000's of miles to see a game and see their team play?

Regardless of where they are from, everyone believes in the same thing and you can bet that Liverpool wouldnt be where they are now if it wasn't for OOTers.

Agree on all points

regards

Vlads Quiff said:
Niall K said:

The Liner used to be the Gladstone, which has just undergone a huge and expensive re-furb.
I had some lads from work staying there while the refurb was going on, they really enjoyed it.
Where have you tried?

regards

I tried the likes of the Moate House, The Feathers and Adelphi myself and had no joy.

So I rang a company called Liverpool Hotels and they are the only 2 available according to them.

Rouge Penguin said:

If you're going to fucking moan about how long it takes to get to the match or worse, use "miles travelled" as some kind of badge of honour, support someone closer to where you fucking live.

Vlads Quiff said:
jexykrodic said:
Vlads Quiff said:
jexykrodic said:

regards

Sorry, I now realise that I was completely wrong.

*makes mental note to now dislike all foreign twats*

regards

How foreign would I have to be? Anywhere outside Liverpool, the UK or further afield?

JOKE! :lol:

All I'm pointing out is that this matter is petty but, for whatever reason, continues to be posted at regular intervals.

We are all LFC supporters (regardless of birth place), if someones mode of support at Anfield is in some way irritating then surely it is only a matter of time before they fall in to line with attendance? It is not something to become precious about.

Brendan said:
Rouge Penguin said:

If you're going to fucking moan about how long it takes to get to the match or worse, use "miles travelled" as some kind of badge of honour, support someone closer to where you fucking live.

Its not a moan at all, in fact it doesn't read like one either.

Niall K said:
Vlads Quiff said:
Niall K said:

Where have you tried?

regards

I tried the likes of the Moate House, The Feathers and Adelphi myself and had no joy.

So I rang a company called Liverpool Hotels and they are the only 2 available according to them.

Nial try the following

Holiday Inn express Albert Dock
Premier Travel Lodge Albert Dock
Ibis near Albert dock.
Campanile ditto
Formule 1 (single rooms)
Daulby albert dock
Premier Travel lodge Vernon Street
If you are arriving at the airport there is a Holiday Inn express just opened there (but a bit out of town)
Travel Lodge Sefton street , Brunswick Docks (just up the road from Albert Dock)
There is also an up-market Back Pack hostel Called the International Inn that is very good.
These are all budget hotels, but good, and probably fdon't feature in the Liverpool Hotels data base.
PM me and let me know how you get on

regards

Vlads Quiff said:
Niall K said:
Vlads Quiff said:
Niall K said:

Where have you tried?

regards

Nial try the following

Holiday Inn express Albert Dock
Premier Travel Lodge Albert Dock
Ibis near Albert dock.
Campanile ditto
Formule 1 (single rooms)
Daulby albert dock
Premier Travel lodge Vernon Street
If you are arriving at the airport there is a Holiday Inn express just opened there (but a bit out of town)
Travel Lodge Sefton street , Brunswick Docks (just up the road from Albert Dock)
There is also an up-market Back Pack hostel Called the International Inn that is very good.
These are all budget hotels, but good, and probably fdon't feature in the Liverpool Hotels data base.
PM me and let me know how you get on

regards

Thanks Vlad will do

I dont give a flying fuck what people think when im going to Anfield.
I just enjoy the game and athmosphere. I never had a problem there.

Haven't read the thread since the evening it started, and my, what a thread it has become! Some great posts, some great stories, and a bit of handbags.

I feel perhaps a bit more "cautious" about stating how strongly I feel for the club, because I am a relatively recent convert.

Growing up here in Canada, "soccer" has never been a very popular spectator sport until recently. We lost our local professional team (and indeed our entire national league) when I was just a youngster. I played the game avidly as a child until a freak training injury severed half of one of my fingers completely at the age of 12 (it was stitched back on, all good!). I then spent years with little or no contact with the game, either as a player or a spectator on television.

Finally, it was Euro 2004 when football finally returned to the television set here. I latched onto the chance to delve into the passion of the sport and loved the occasion to skip work and start drinking at 9 AM and continue (while watching tape-delayed games and highlights and what-not) for 12 hours or more. The passion had been reignited. Shortly thereafter I had the fortune to run into an old friend who had an indoor team with an available spot. I jumped at the chance and somehow football quickly became one of the top priorities in my life.

At the time the Premiership was the only league regularly televised here (well, MLS as well, but I don't think I need to justify choosing to be interested more in the English game). I needed a club to support. But who? I am (on one-half of my family) of general British decent (a probably inbred mixture of English, Scottish, and Welsh), but with no particularly close ties to any area as my antecedents immigrated here well over 100 years ago. I knew little about the history of the English game and little about the clubs. I did not wish to be one of the trendies who supported Manchester Utd (without knowing why, I hated them even then) or Arsenal.

Without any real conscious reason, Liverpool was selected. I knew that they had a great history, that they were still a decent side, and that they hadn't won the league in a long time. Beyond that, little was known. Yet, within just a few short weeks they had come to occupy a central place in my heart. Elation resulted from every marvellous cross and every superb goal tucked away. Depression and obscenities followed every poor officiating display and every defeat.

As I researched into the history of the team, I discovered a fact that perhaps had subconsciously led me to Liverpool. A "soccer" camp I attended as a child was put on by Danish international Jan Molby. I don't believe I knew he played for Liverpool at the time, but having him instruct me in the finer points of defense and encourage me, telling me I was very good for my age really stuck with me. Finding out that he was part of the great Liverpool sides of the 1980's completely galvanized my support and gave me something of a personal touchstone with the club.

I rarely miss a game on television, anxiously and eagerly devour any news about matches, injuries, investment, development on the transfer front, etc. I WILL make it Anfield before the new stadium replaces it. Liverpool results completely affect my mood and a tough defeat or a poor performance can ruin an entire weekend or longer.

Yet, I still feel a little self-conscious about having been a supporter for only a little over two short years. Still, my support runs deep and I resent the fact that it is again becoming fashionable to be a Liverpool supporter here, as few of those I have met (or am friends with) share the same passion I do. Perhaps in this way I can identify with the scouser having to contend with so-called OOTers.

Apologies for an overly long post with little substance, but I felt compelled to post it all the same.

Cheers,

Tim

Milner said:
Good post Tim.

Gone quite well this thread.

Aside from 'Ace_Of_Hearts' furiously running around trying to call anyone who bumped into his way a "complete tool", yes it has.

anfieldanfield said:
Do you guys think Glock has ever been to Anfield ?

He's the Ghost of Anfield Past, Present and Future.

His eery moans and groans can be heard at the dead of night throughout the stands.

The boot room was actually a seance parlour where the Liverpool Managers would communicate with him on who to buy and what formation to deploy for the next game.

Ryan said:
Milner said:
Good post Tim.

Gone quite well this thread.

Aside from 'Ace_Of_Hearts' furiously running around trying to call anyone who bumped into his way a "complete tool", yes it has.

What's that supposed to mean ???

I only labelled Sheik a tool and that's in a footballing context. Nothing personal with him whatsoever.

You don't wanna start, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom