• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arsenal: Is That You ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themn

Very Well-Known
So, the Arse are celebrating 125 years of blah blah who cares, but, they've decided to have 3 bronze statues of legendary figures in their history dotted about the place.

The trio:

Herbert Chapman
Tony Adams
Thierry Henry

Anybody else (who may give half a shit) think the choices and number of choices a bit odd ?

Henry's not even retired yet has he?

I remember reading (I think) we have a Billy Liddell plaque somewhere. Is that true, and if so where?

I think Henry is fair enough if I'm honest, given he was so phenomenal and it's just a matter of time before he goes down as one of their greatest players ever, if he's not already. No point waiting around for nostalgia to kick in.

They're probably getting started on a RVP statue as he's carrying that club at the moment. It's worse than when Gerrard used to carry us under Ged.

[quote author=themn link=topic=47875.msg1441312#msg1441312 date=1323547246]
So, the Arse are celebrating 125 years of blah blah who cares, but, they've decided to have 3 bronze statues of legendary figures in their history dotted about the place.

The trio:

Herbert Chapman
Tony Adams
Thierry Henry

Anybody else (who may give half a shit) think the choices and number of choices a bit odd ?
[/quote]

Was wondering about it myself. without getting into the ins and outs of who deserves a statue for them, I was thinking that Bergkamp might have a better claim than Henry, and Wenger might have a better claim than both of them.

[quote author=Halmeister link=topic=47875.msg1441316#msg1441316 date=1323547654]
I think Henry is fair enough if I'm honest, given he was so phenomenal and it's just a matter of time before he goes down as one of their greatest players ever, if he's not already. No point waiting around for nostalgia to kick in.

They're probably getting started on a RVP statue as he's carrying that club at the moment. It's worse than when Gerrard used to carry us under Ged.
[/quote]

Its definitely not worse.

Steven Gerrard dragged this club kicking and screaming to a champions league and FA cup under rafa. RVP despite all of his goals has achieved ....... nothing?

I can completely understand the henry one. A period of great success came and left with him.

Thinking about us again (sorry to hijack the thread), would/should gerrard have something eventually?

The shanks statue of course
Sir Bob
King Kenny

Seem obvious, but what about your gerrard, liddell's, and even callaghan's?

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47875.msg1441321#msg1441321 date=1323547815]
[quote author=Halmeister link=topic=47875.msg1441316#msg1441316 date=1323547654]

[/quote]

Its definitely not worse.

Steven Gerrard dragged this club kicking and screaming to a champions league and FA cup under rafa. RVP despite all of his goals has achieved ....... nothing?
[/quote]

This Arsenal team is terrible if you take RVP out. The team under Rafa (I was referring to Ged's tenure by the way) at least had other players, in his position that could do a job. Alonso, Hamann, Sissoko sort of.

RVP is the only person who scores their goals. As important as Gerrard was, he wasn't the only one scoring every week.

Henry threatened to leave every summer for years and finally refused to play. My arsenal mate calls him The Snakeman. There's a difference between being a great player and being a club legend.

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=47875.msg1441323#msg1441323 date=1323547864]
I can completely understand the henry one. A period of great success came and left with him.
[/quote]

I don't think this is true.

He is undeniably a great player, but Arsenals success started when Wenger came and in his first season and Anelka and Bergkamp were playing up front (won the double that year).

Kenny and Bob should be recognised...along perhaps with something to commemorate the boot room of Fagan, Moran, Evans, Saunders and Bennett. Love him as I do, Stevie doesn't (yet) warrant anything like that.

Yeah, a thing for the whole boot room would be nice :)

I always thought Ian Callaghan came across as a forgotten man for us? Doubt he cares though.

Re: Re: Arsenal: Is That You ?

[quote author=refugee link=topic=47875.msg1#msg1 date=1323548280]
[quote author=Fabio link=topic=47875.msg1441323#msg1441323 date=1323547864]
[/quote]

I don't think this is true.

He is undeniably a great player, but Arsenals success started when Wenger came and in his first season and Anelka and Bergkamp were playing up front (won the double that year).
[/quote]

True, he joined when arsenal were constantly winning, but he took then to the next level. its stil impressive how quick he broke their scoring record.
Success definitely left with him though

I just think it should have been Chapman and leave it at that, at least for a while.

Feels like they're being a little bit "extra" to me.

As for us, Bob and Kenny deffo.

I'd prefer to leave the Kenny statue till after he retires. I don't think he'd be comfortable with it while he's still in charge.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47875.msg1441406#msg1441406 date=1323552449]
Themn, Dylan, why the fucking fuck did you two cunts leave Shanks out, ya BASTARDING shit heads ??!
[/quote]

What the Shanks who already has a statue ?

That Shanks ?

Thought for a minute you were suggesting he deserved one less than the others would.

In my defence I have had a bottle and a bit of good Chilean red this evening.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47875.msg1441427#msg1441427 date=1323553038]
Nope, Cabernet Sauvignon, "35 South" from Sainsbury's. Nectar, so it is.
[/quote]

A good choice...and of course I accept your apology!

Fucking hell, they went a bit overoard didn't they with all the shite today?

And those statues look like they were made out of chocolate.

[quote author=Halmeister link=topic=47875.msg1441503#msg1441503 date=1323558282]
And those statues look like they were made out of chocolate.
[/quote]

They looked like something in a fairground. Almost as bad as Fulham's statue of Michael Jackson. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom