• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bellamy Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
Sad, sad, sad.

Burnley assistant manager and former Wales captain Craig Bellamy has said he is bankrupt.
Bellamy's cumulative transfer fees amounted to £45m during a playing career which saw spells at clubs including Liverpool, Manchester City and West Ham.

But the 43-year-old said his financial situation was due to failed investments made on his behalf.
"Everything I have had has been taken from me," Bellamy told the Daily Mail.
"If you get the wrong people advising you it all haemorrhages, it all dwindles.
"It has got to the point where bankruptcy is a relief. It means I can just live again.
"I know some people will probably think I have squandered all my money on drinking or gambling or drugs. I haven't.
"I can go quiet where you won't hear from me but I won't be down the pub. I have never touched drugs since I was a young kid. I don't gamble - I have never gambled.

"It doesn't make any sense to me. But I have gambled on people unfortunately."
Bellamy began his career at Norwich, ended it at home-town club Cardiff and scored 19 goals in 78 appearances for Wales.
After retiring as a player in 2014 he moved into coaching two years later under Neil Warnock at Cardiff, before joining Vincent Kompany at Anderlecht in June 2019, first as under-21s manager, then assistant manager.
Bellamy, who said in 2020 he had been diagnosed with depression, wanted his experience to serve as a warning to younger players.
"Check everything, make sure the people advising you are regulated," Bellamy added.
"If they are not regulated, it's the wild west. Get your stuff audited by independent people, the equivalent of getting a second opinion.
"I was brought up in a generation of footballers where everything was done for you. Every bill. Wherever I was, the club did everything for me. I think that's wrong.
"It makes you too vulnerable. It's good for players to have their own responsibilities because one day the club will not be there.
"You will finish your career and you will still be a young man, and when you finish who's going to pay your stuff then? You are going to have to learn to survive. You are going to have live in the real world."

Its not really been “taken” from him has it, he’s racked in millions from his playing career and its your responsibility where that money goes and who has access to that money.

I’m sorry for him but he only has himself to blame. Its about time footballers started living in the real world.

Could have, and should have put his money into property much like Robby Fowler and Micheal Owen. The returns maybe smaller but it is consistant.
Stocks and shares is way to risks

Plenty of property folk have lost it all in recent years too but yea gobbling up houses to rent without overextending would’ve been safe.

Maybe professional footballers aren’t able to switch their competitiveness off after retiring, they see x and y making millions in whatever schemes and they want to be at it too. The same will to win probably has them ploughing more and more into a bad investment to make it work.

Lots of smart people have lost their shirts trusting the wrong people and investing poorly.

He tried to do the right thing by the sounds of it and got quite unlucky. I felt quite bad for him reading that.

Agree on the first point. But I find it hard to feel bad or sympathy though. There is so much information available out there, it is fairly easy to be financially literate. He could have come up with a diversified investment portfolio with index funds, property, etc.

Second reason I don't feel that bad is that even though he declared bankruptcy, it is not like he is going to be poor. He will easily lead a comfortable life through coaching and other gigs.

We have all these fancy, state of the art training and youth facilities and surely we must be subjecting them to a lecture or two of financial literacy 101, aren't we?

By the sound of it he did invest in property, amongst other things, but mostly development projects. It's quite easy for things like that to go wrong and end up costing more and more.

I actually do feel sorry for him. The danger for footballers is that they have shit loads of money, waste it all and don't make plans for the future. He didn't do that, he just made entirely the wrong plans.

If you read the detail of it then it sounds like he was extremely unlucky as well as making some wrong choices.

By the sound of it he did invest in property, amongst other things, but mostly development projects. It's quite easy for things like that to go wrong and end up costing more and more.

I actually do feel sorry for him. The danger for footballers is that they have shit loads of money, waste it all and don't make plans for the future. He didn't do that, he just made entirely the wrong plans.

If you read the detail of it then it sounds like he was extremely unlucky as well as making some wrong choices.

Can you post the articles with details here. Curious to learn more.

The PFA need to have a look at themselves too. They should be supporting their members. Issuing magazines each month full of adverts for expensive shit isn’t looking after members .

I know from experience how easy it is to lose money and big with players. Loads were told to put as much as possible into their pensions. Then pension liberation came along. When players lost their weekly wage scam merchants came along. Fancy accessing your pension now? Well they said yea. The scam merchant takes the lot but HMRC then say well you accessed your pension outside the rules here’s a tax charge on it. Things have tightened up since but doesn’t help the players I’ve seen this happen to.

Could have, and should have put his money into property much like Robby Fowler and Micheal Owen. The returns maybe smaller but it is consistant.
Stocks and shares is way to risks
That depends on how well-diversified you are. Bellamy could've whacked his money in an index fund and seen a steady return which kept him rich. There's absolutely no need to take risk with your money if you're a millionaire. The kind of dodgy financial ventures he seems to have got involved with are the stuff of broke wannabes desperate to strike it big. I feel for him, but I really can't fathom how he's found himself in this situation.

Bellamy started a charitable foundation in 2008 which was struck off in 2015 for not filing its accounts, leaving a bit of a mess in Sierra Leone where it was operating.
I think what we're seeing here is a bloke who means well but who hasn't done a good job in picking people to support / advise him, but he had a warning shot back in 2015 and didn't really take heed.
Wish him all the best in any event.
He's probably another one like Gazza; needed a proper mate with a bit of common sense to keep him on the straight and narrow. It's really hard for players not to fall in with the wrong crew as the scammers and gangsters are drawn to the glamour of associating with them.

Anyone who doesn’t feel sorry for him is a cunt of a human being imo.

The fact he tried to invest and safe guard his future and got shit advice is very very sad.

People who squander everything in other ways get more sympathy.

Considering the charity work he did as well even with flaws just makes it even sadder. A man who gave back so much and would have had a CL medal if he started the CL final instead of fucking Bolo Zendan.

LOL Bolo Zenden.

That's a name i've not heard for donkey years !

I don't even remember much about him except he was popular to pick on on KT. Was 6CM even borned yet ?

It's a tale as old as time. Celebrity athlete or musical artist doesn't keep an eye on own financials and ends up with nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom