• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ben White

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
It seems we're taking the task of replacing Lovren seriously – Klopp is not Guardiola and doesn't want to just plug the hole at CB with a combination of midfielders and full-backs. From a squad-building perspective it's also important to find another quality partner for VVD since Matip is approaching 30. So far we've been linked to 2 roughly £40M-rated CBs in Ben White and Ozan Kabak and a cheaper option in Aissa Mandi and it does sound like our interest is serious.

Ben White is particularly interesting – he is one of the best English CB prospects in years and someone who looks like he could actually be what John Stones was supposed to represent: a modern ball-playing CB and a defensive leader. Landing someone like him could set us up at this position for years and perhaps despite our financial uncertainty the club will consider such a purchase essential. However there is going to be fierce competition for him this season and as the month-old article below points out, there is one aspect of his game that gives our scouts pause. (As an aside, this is exactly the potential flaw people in the know see in Mandi, who is otherwise a well-rounded CB).

Anyway, now that our first signing of the season is done, addressing the CB and the wing-forward positions becomes the priority. I don't think anything will happen with Thiago unless Gini leaves.

======================
[...] And with Lovren’s time seemingly up, Leeds loanee White – an ever-present in the Championship for Marcelo Bielsa’s side since his season-long loan move last summer – has been identified as a strong option for Jurgen Klopp’s side. White has become an integral part of Bielsa’s defence at Leeds since arriving from the south coast, sparking reports that the two Premier League heavyweights were weighing up moves for the centre-back.

And while Brighton boss Graham Potter has stated that White’s future remains with the Seagulls, explaining they have no interest in selling him, The Athletic claimed back in February that scouts from Liverpool have watched the 22-year-old closely in recent weeks and are strongly considering a summer approach for his services. Those claims have since been substantiated by Football Insider, who claim Liverpool’s scouts have been ‘blown away’ by the form of the Leeds loanee and have been seriously impressed by his development since his switch to Elland Road.

Their scouting network – who all report in to sporting director Michael Edwards – are particularly impressed with White’s reading of the game, authority on the ball, his ability to carry the play forward and his tackling ability and acknowledge he has been a big part of Leeds’ success this season. However, the Liverpool talent spotters have identified a major flaw in White‘s physique which could yet prevent a deal from going through.

As per the report, one area of White’s game that he has not faired well in his aerial duals and Liverpool have expressed concerns that his 6ft frame might just not be quite big enough. They fear by central defensive standards, and in comparison to Virgil van Dijk, Joel Matip and Lovren, who are all 6ft 3in or taller, White is far from a colossal figure.

Even Van Dijk’s No 1 preferrred option Joe Gomez, stands at 6ft 2in and has a better success rate at defensive headers and clearances than White. Whether that is enough to dissuade Liverpool from making a move remains to be seen, but there’s little doubt Leeds would welcome the chance to make White’s move permanent.

White is contracted to Brighton until summer 2022 so would, in theory, be in no hurry to cash in on the defender, though much will depend on whether the player signs the reported contract extension the Seagulls are preparing for the defender at the end of the season. Leeds, of course, would have strong designs on signing White permanently were they to secure promotion to the Premier League and their prospects could be aided after the club’s owner, Italian Andrea Radrizzani, confirmed for the first time that QSI were considering an investment into United.

Last edited:
If Ben White is up for fighting for the 2nd spot with Gomez and Matip then bring him on.

I've met him and he's the same height as me. 5'11". Plus, there's a video of him talking with Gary Neville and he says something like "I was a centre half all these years and I'm under 6 foot. How good must I have been!?"

I've met him and he's the same height as me. 5'11". Plus, there's a video of him talking with Gary Neville and he says something like "I was a centre half all these years and I'm under 6 foot. How good must I have been!?"

So you’re a shortarse then? Thats what you’re saying? :)

Either way, no doubt about White’s ability but I would like the CB’s to be more dominant than that. Kabak is 1.86 but he is quite dominant in the air because of his build and jumping ability.

Either way, no doubt about White’s ability but I would like the CB’s to be more dominant than that. Kabak is 1.86 but he is quite dominant in the air because of his build and jumping ability.

Haha for a centre back, yeah. Oddly enough, I played there too.

Obviously, a taller centre back has a greater chance of being dominant in the air. But sometimes you can get shorter defenders who still dominate despite their lack of stature.

It seems we're taking the task of replacing Lovren seriously – Klopp is not Guardiola and doesn't want to just plug the hole at CB with a combination of midfielders and full-backs. From a squad-building perspective it's also important to find another quality partner for VVD since Matip is approaching 30. So far we've been linked to 2 roughly £40M-rated CBs in Ben White and Ozan Kabak and a cheaper option in Aissa Mandi and it does sound like our interest is serious.

Ben White is particularly interesting – he is one of the best English CB prospects in years and someone who looks like he could actually be what John Stones was supposed to represent: a modern ball-playing CB and a defensive leader. Landing someone like him could set us up at this position for years and perhaps despite our financial uncertainty the club will consider such a purchase essential. However there is going to be fierce competition for him this season and as the month-old article below points out, there is one aspect of his game that gives our scouts pause. (As an aside, this is exactly the potential flaw people in the know see in Mandi, who is otherwise a well-rounded CB).

Anyway, now that our first signing of the season is done, addressing the CB and the wing-forward positions becomes the priority. I don't think anything will happen with Thiago unless Gini leaves.

======================
[...] And with Lovren’s time seemingly up, Leeds loanee White – an ever-present in the Championship for Marcelo Bielsa’s side since his season-long loan move last summer – has been identified as a strong option for Jurgen Klopp’s side. White has become an integral part of Bielsa’s defence at Leeds since arriving from the south coast, sparking reports that the two Premier League heavyweights were weighing up moves for the centre-back.

And while Brighton boss Graham Potter has stated that White’s future remains with the Seagulls, explaining they have no interest in selling him, The Athletic claimed back in February that scouts from Liverpool have watched the 22-year-old closely in recent weeks and are strongly considering a summer approach for his services. Those claims have since been substantiated by Football Insider, who claim Liverpool’s scouts have been ‘blown away’ by the form of the Leeds loanee and have been seriously impressed by his development since his switch to Elland Road.

Their scouting network – who all report in to sporting director Michael Edwards – are particularly impressed with White’s reading of the game, authority on the ball, his ability to carry the play forward and his tackling ability and acknowledge he has been a big part of Leeds’ success this season. However, the Liverpool talent spotters have identified a major flaw in White‘s physique which could yet prevent a deal from going through.

As per the report, one area of White’s game that he has not faired well in his aerial duals and Liverpool have expressed concerns that his 6ft frame might just not be quite big enough. They fear by central defensive standards, and in comparison to Virgil van Dijk, Joel Matip and Lovren, who are all 6ft 3in or taller, White is far from a colossal figure.

Even Van Dijk’s No 1 preferrred option Joe Gomez, stands at 6ft 2in and has a better success rate at defensive headers and clearances than White. Whether that is enough to dissuade Liverpool from making a move remains to be seen, but there’s little doubt Leeds would welcome the chance to make White’s move permanent.

White is contracted to Brighton until summer 2022 so would, in theory, be in no hurry to cash in on the defender, though much will depend on whether the player signs the reported contract extension the Seagulls are preparing for the defender at the end of the season. Leeds, of course, would have strong designs on signing White permanently were they to secure promotion to the Premier League and their prospects could be aided after the club’s owner, Italian Andrea Radrizzani, confirmed for the first time that QSI were considering an investment into United.

Last CB signed from Brighton? Good karma.

Leeds United rebuffed in advances for Liverpool and Manchester United target Ben White

LEEDS UNITED have seen two big-money bids for Ben White rejected by Brighton including an improved offer of £22m, according to reports.

By Lee Sobot
Sunday, 9th August 2020, 6:32 pm

Newly-promoted Leeds were unsuccessful with an initial £18.5m bid for their former Brighton loanee defender with an improved £22m bid also rejected, per Sky Sports.
During a highly impressive season-long loan spell, White played every single minute of United’s 46 league games during the 2019-20 Championship campaign as Marcelo Bielsa’s Whites romped to promotion and finished ten points clear of second-placed West Brom, sealing promotion back to the Premier League after a 16-year absence.

But White’s performances have put him on the radar of a host of Premier League big guns with champions Liverpool among those closely monitoring the 22-year-old centre-back’s progress. Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are also among the clubs tracking White’s progress and reports have suggested that Chelsea have now identified the centre-back as a possible option to help improve their defence. White’s contract at Brighton runs until June 2022 with the defender having signed a one-year extension to his deal last summer before heading to Leeds for his season-long loan spell. White has since rejected two new contract offers, according to Sky.

=====================

So far the offers for him were well below the £40M I've seen quoted somewhere, so if Brighton were prepared to accept something around £25-30M, that would make this transfer a lot more doable. But if he indeed becomes the subject of a bidding war between Chelsea, Man City, United, Spurs and us the price could rise very quickly...

Have to take differences between leagues into account though. Matip was utterly dominant in the air in the Bundesliga due to his height, but took literally 2 years to get used to the physicality here. Championship is a better preparation in that sense. Don't know, that might well be a deal-breaker for White at LFC. It's such a nice feeling not to worry about your CBs losing aerial battles like, ever.

Last edited:
We have a habit of going back in for players we missed out on plus the acquisition of Kostas instead of Lewis could mean that Lloyd Kelly as a home grown centre back is a target.

Bournemouth relegation leaves them vulnerable although they have sold Nathan Ake.

4th choice centre back doesn't sound too significant but the injury records of Matip and Gomez suggest otherwise

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Are we looking for a 4th choice CB instead of getting someone possibly better than Gomez and Matip, and push one of them into the 4th choice role?

Are we looking for a 4th choice CB instead of getting someone possibly better than Gomez and Matip, and push one of them into the 4th choice role?
Better than those two would have to be around £50m so I would suggest we are only looking for a 4th choice and one with potential at that, not just a filler.

We have a habit of going back in for players we missed out on plus the acquisition of Kostas instead of Lewis could mean that Lloyd Kelly as a home grown centre back is a target.

Bournemouth relegation leaves them vulnerable although they have sold Nathan Ake.

4th choice centre back doesn't sound too significant but the injury records of Matip and Gomez suggest otherwise

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Lloyd Kelly would have been a good option on paper. A left back who can play as a CB as well. Problem is, he's not that tall.

I only saw White play twice last season but on both occasions he impressed. As mentioned, he's not great in the air but his positional sense is excellent as is his distribution; he set both wide men free on several occasions with pin-point long range passing. Alan Hansen couldn't head a ball and he was our best ever CB so I'm not too bothered about the aerial deficiency. Obviously I'm not going to suggest he'd be a good signing based on just 2 appearances but he definitely is Premier League quality.

It was only a few months ago that Gomez was being hailed as the new Bobby Moore. Then he had a spell where he made a few errors and suddenly he was hopeless. VDV clearly likes playing with him, and there's good competition between him and Matip, so presumably any new CB would probably be fourth choice. Ben White, at his stage in his career, after making the impact he's made, is not going to settle for bench warming, and FSG presumably are not going to countenance paying anywhere near his likely asking price. So we're surely oot.

Last edited:
If he’s so good why didn’t Brighton play him?
From what I've gathered it's multiple reasons.
Partly because he doesn't want to sign a new contract with Brighton.
Potter being happy with the defenders he's got and willing to use the money generated from selling White to strengthen in other areas.
Also, there's talk about White not feeling appreciated at Brighton since he's basically been out on loan to different teams since he joined Brighton.

If he’s so good why didn’t Brighton play him?
Tall CB's who are very strong in the air seem integral to the way Brighton play. They have 4 main CB's Dunk. Duffy, Webster (who are all 6'4" OR 6'5") and then there's Dan Burn who is about 6'7".

Potter has nearly always (this season) started with 3 of them and the team relies on them heavily at both ends of the pitch. I think they contributed over 20% of Brighton's goals this season and I'm guessing quite a few assists too via knock-downs from set pieces.

It was only a few months ago that Gomez was being hailed as the new Bobby Moore. Then he had a spell where he made a few errors and suddenly he was hopeless. VDV clearly likes playing with him, and there's good competition between him and Matip, so presumably any new CB would probably be fourth choice. Ben White, at his stage in his career, after making the impact he's made, is not going to settle for bench warming, and FSG presumably are not going to countenance paying anywhere near his likely asking price. So we're surely oot.

I think if you're Ben White you're going to back yourself to win the competition with Gomez and Matip and play regularly. He's talented enough to think this way.

Gomez is a great CB, but he absolutely can’t make those passes. I think he could compete with Gomez depending on the competition, or fit very well in a back 3.

We be good option as Matip ages, and could slot in well, if god forbid, VVD gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom