• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Berhalter and Gio Reyna's mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansern

Thinks he owns the place
Gregg Berhalter: Mother of Gio Reyna confirms she reported USMNT head coach for kicking his wife in 1991

Berhalter will not take charge of the USA's training camp in California later in January after he admitted kicking his wife of 25 years during an argument as a teenager; Danielle Reyna revealed she reported the incident to US Soccer on December 11.

The mother of USA midfielder Gio Reyna has confirmed she reported head coach Gregg Berhalter for kicking his wife over 30 years ago.
Berhalter will not take charge of the USA's training camp in California later this month amid an ongoing US Soccer investigation after he admitted kicking his wife of 25 years during an argument as a teenager.
The governing body instigated the probe after Berhalter, who took his side to the World Cup in Qatar, revealed he had been the subject of a threat to expose the incident involving his then girlfriend Rosalind in 1991 during the tournament.
On Tuesday Berhalter posted a statement of his own on social media saying an "individual contacted U.S. Soccer" during the 2022 World Cup saying "they had information about me that would 'take me down'".
Berhalter says that in 1991 he kicked his now wife Rosalind outside a bar following an argument.
"There are zero excuses for my actions that night; it was a shameful moment and one that I regret to this day." Berhalter wrote. "At that time, I immediately apologised to Rosalind, but understandably, she wanted nothing to do with me."

The two reconciled after the fight and have been married for 25 years with four children.

Danielle Reyna, the wife of former USA captain Claudio and a former roommate and soccer teammate of Berhalter's wife Rosalind, revealed she reported the incident to US Soccer on December 11.
Her son Gio did not start a match for USA at the World Cup in Qatar, with Berhalter saying in early December that an unnamed player was sent home early from the USA camp for "not meeting expectations on and off the field."

But in a statement, she said: "To set the record straight, I did call (U.S. Soccer sporting director) Earnie Stewart on December 11, just after the news broke that Gregg had made negative statements about my son Gio at a leadership conference."
She continued: "As part of that conversation, I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age.
"Without going into detail, [Berhalter's statement] from [Tuesday] significantly minimizes the abuse on the night in question. Rosalind Berhalter was my roommate, teammate and best friend, and I supported her through the trauma that followed. It took a long time for me to forgive and accept Gregg afterward, but I worked hard to give him grace, and ultimately made both of them and their kids a huge part of my family's life. I would have wanted and expected him to give the same grace to Gio. This is why the current situation is so very hurtful and hard."
But Danielle Reyna denied blackmailing Berhalter with the information of the incident, and insists she did not ask for him to be fired.
"But I want to be very clear that I did not ask for Gregg to be fired, I did not make any threats, and I don't know anything about any blackmail attempts, nor have I ever had any discussions about anyone else on Gregg's staff-I don't know any of the other coaches."

Gio Reyna's father Claudio also said in a statement: "I support my wife, Danielle, and her statement. I too was upset by Gregg's comments about Gio after the U.S. was out of the World Cup, and I also appealed to Earnie Stewart on December 11 asking him to prevent any additional comments."
Commenting on the widened investigation, US Soccer said in a statement on Tuesday: "Through this process, US Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behaviour towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organisation.
"We take such behaviour seriously and have expanded our investigation to include those allegations.
"We appreciate Gregg and Rosalind coming forward to speak openly about this incident. Consistent with our commitment to transparency, we will share the results of the investigation publicly when it is complete.
"US Soccer condemns violence of any kind and takes such allegations very seriously."
Anthony Hudson, who served as an assistant coach during the World Cup in Qatar, will take charge of a training camp this month.

If I was Gio Reyna I would probably be to embarrassed to ever play football again.

It's all a bit.. Her son acted a cunt at the World Cup camp, got criticised and sent home, so his Mum reports an incident she had kept under wraps for 30 years to condemn the manager in retaliation. Berhalter was a prick for doing what he did, but he was also a kid and has since repented and married the same woman, if she then brings about stories of sustained abuse it's a different story, but that doesn't seem the case.

It's all a bit Konchesky, with added sauce and a slightly less thick mum.

Last edited:
Gregg Berhalter: Mother of Gio Reyna confirms she reported USMNT head coach for kicking his wife in 1991

Berhalter will not take charge of the USA's training camp in California later in January after he admitted kicking his wife of 25 years during an argument as a teenager; Danielle Reyna revealed she reported the incident to US Soccer on December 11.

The mother of USA midfielder Gio Reyna has confirmed she reported head coach Gregg Berhalter for kicking his wife over 30 years ago.
Berhalter will not take charge of the USA's training camp in California later this month amid an ongoing US Soccer investigation after he admitted kicking his wife of 25 years during an argument as a teenager.
The governing body instigated the probe after Berhalter, who took his side to the World Cup in Qatar, revealed he had been the subject of a threat to expose the incident involving his then girlfriend Rosalind in 1991 during the tournament.
On Tuesday Berhalter posted a statement of his own on social media saying an "individual contacted U.S. Soccer" during the 2022 World Cup saying "they had information about me that would 'take me down'".
Berhalter says that in 1991 he kicked his now wife Rosalind outside a bar following an argument.
"There are zero excuses for my actions that night; it was a shameful moment and one that I regret to this day." Berhalter wrote. "At that time, I immediately apologised to Rosalind, but understandably, she wanted nothing to do with me."

The two reconciled after the fight and have been married for 25 years with four children.

Danielle Reyna, the wife of former USA captain Claudio and a former roommate and soccer teammate of Berhalter's wife Rosalind, revealed she reported the incident to US Soccer on December 11.
Her son Gio did not start a match for USA at the World Cup in Qatar, with Berhalter saying in early December that an unnamed player was sent home early from the USA camp for "not meeting expectations on and off the field."

But in a statement, she said: "To set the record straight, I did call (U.S. Soccer sporting director) Earnie Stewart on December 11, just after the news broke that Gregg had made negative statements about my son Gio at a leadership conference."
She continued: "As part of that conversation, I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age.
"Without going into detail, [Berhalter's statement] from [Tuesday] significantly minimizes the abuse on the night in question. Rosalind Berhalter was my roommate, teammate and best friend, and I supported her through the trauma that followed. It took a long time for me to forgive and accept Gregg afterward, but I worked hard to give him grace, and ultimately made both of them and their kids a huge part of my family's life. I would have wanted and expected him to give the same grace to Gio. This is why the current situation is so very hurtful and hard."
But Danielle Reyna denied blackmailing Berhalter with the information of the incident, and insists she did not ask for him to be fired.
"But I want to be very clear that I did not ask for Gregg to be fired, I did not make any threats, and I don't know anything about any blackmail attempts, nor have I ever had any discussions about anyone else on Gregg's staff-I don't know any of the other coaches."

Gio Reyna's father Claudio also said in a statement: "I support my wife, Danielle, and her statement. I too was upset by Gregg's comments about Gio after the U.S. was out of the World Cup, and I also appealed to Earnie Stewart on December 11 asking him to prevent any additional comments."
Commenting on the widened investigation, US Soccer said in a statement on Tuesday: "Through this process, US Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behaviour towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organisation.
"We take such behaviour seriously and have expanded our investigation to include those allegations.
"We appreciate Gregg and Rosalind coming forward to speak openly about this incident. Consistent with our commitment to transparency, we will share the results of the investigation publicly when it is complete.
"US Soccer condemns violence of any kind and takes such allegations very seriously."
Anthony Hudson, who served as an assistant coach during the World Cup in Qatar, will take charge of a training camp this month.

If I was Gio Reyna I would probably be to embarrassed to ever play football again.

Sign him up.

Americans are fucking nuts. Too frightened of their own shadows to stand up to anything nowadays.

Americans are fucking nuts. Too frightened of their own shadows to stand up to anything nowadays.

I cant believe that they even took action from it when it happened 30 years ago, but maybe you have to look into it.
His mum sounds fucking nuts though.
Dortmund should sign Rabiot just to have these two mums fight it off in the stands.

Am I the only one who opened this thread expecting some serious Milf action?

Well, I guess she could be in an episode of "My first Sex teacher".

Gregg-Berhalter-USMNT-Gio-Reyna-Danielle-Reyna.jpg

As a big fan of the Reyna family this really sours things. What kind of entitlement does a set of parents have to feel to be this vindictive about their 20 year old sons playing time?

Never been a fan of Berhalters coaching style but this is way beyond the pale. Unfortunately, I think it taints him enough that US soccer will probably not renew. And not so much because of the incident 30 years ago, but for the fact that one of the best American players for the next decade is irreparably at odds with him.

A choice between the two would be pretty clear in my mind if I was a US soccer official.

Why single Americans out, Froggy? Are any other Western societies any better? These are the depths to which the excesses of wokeness have driven things..

Why single Americans out, Froggy? Are any other Western societies any better? These are the depths to which the excesses of wokeness have driven things..
They are the worst by a long way methinks. And responsible for exporting their woke paranoia and prejudices around the world. I'd be frightened to fart over there - probably get accused of assault, defacing public property, it'll be in contravention of local bylaws, polluting the atmosphere (but you'd OK if you were in Indiana and not Texas) and something to do with minors as well (setting a bad example).

Oh look, elite sports parents. Of course they never stop.

One time when I was 15 doing auditions for seating for an elite orchestra, one of the parents of one of the "rival" violists pulled me aside and told me a good way to calm down was to have a stiff drink before playing. From conversations after, with the other violists, she had done this to all those she thought would be a threat to her kid.

The person who got first chair over her precious kid was the only one who took her up on the offer.

I've heard them all.

In my experience, of all the strings, cellists are the most interesting. Bassists are the best to get high with. Violists are the most relaxed. And second violinists are the easiest to fuck.

Why don't violists get hemorrhoids? Because all the assholes are in the first violin section.

Oh look, elite sports parents. Of course they never stop.

One time when I was 15 doing auditions for seating for an elite orchestra, one of the parents of one of the "rival" violists pulled me aside and told me a good way to calm down was to have a stiff drink before playing. From conversations after, with the other violists, she had done this to all those she thought would be a threat to her kid.

The person who got first chair over her precious kid was the only one who took her up on the offer.

I know, but this is even beyond the norm for crazy parents. This was a Family they’ve been friends with for 30 years, grew up together. The two wives were teammates in college. The fact that it’s on front pages across sports news even in this country tells you how rare it is. As it should be.

I see these crazy overprotective parents everywhere here in the USA, but surely in the world of professional sports this must be counterproductive? They are making their son look bad and probably hurting his career. Any manager would think long and hard before taking a risk working with him now.

My understanding of it is that he WASN'T actually sent home from the WC, but it was considered, due to his 'poor reaction' to being told that his playing time would be very limited (he's a bit of a sicknote already, even at 20).

Mam 'only' did what she did when the coach all but named her son as a problem child, when outlining the above incident as an example of how to handle young, volatile players in tough situations, in a meeting / conference with all of the big shots in US football. She didn't do it when he got limited playing time - She did it when he was publicly called out by his manager.

Not that this makes it any better, of course... Just what I heard yesterday when somebody was breaking down the situation over here.

Oh, and yes... They've all been mates for 30+ years now. Flippin' mental stuff.

My understanding of it is that he WASN'T actually sent home from the WC, but it was considered, due to his 'poor reaction' to being told that his playing time would be very limited (he's a bit of a sicknote already, even at 20).

Mam 'only' did what she did when the coach all but named her son as a problem child, when outlining the above incident as an example of how to handle young, volatile players in tough situations, in a meeting / conference with all of the big shots in US football. She didn't do it when he got limited playing time - She did it when he was publicly called out by his manager.

Not that this makes it any better, of course... Just what I heard yesterday when somebody was breaking down the situation over here.

They voted on sending him home.

Voted.. it doesn't get more amateur than that.

The plot twist will be it was Claudio who sent the blackmail threat.

I think you’re right on that @Whaddapie.

If he was my kid and threw a tantrum like that, he would have know that the only person who deserved a tongue lashing was him.

This is what I am hearing also. The issue had died down until the coach bought it up publicly again when there was no need to. This put the heat back on Reyna again and then his family reacted. As Whaddapie said, it does not make things any better.

This is what I am hearing also. The issue had died down until the coach bought it up publicly again when there was no need to. This put the heat back on Reyna again and then his family reacted. As Whaddapie said, it does not make things any better.

Still 30 years ago...I mean come on. Grasping at straws here

Still 30 years ago...I mean come on. Grasping at straws here

The issue I meant was Gio Reyna not getting minutes in the world cup. That issue had died down until the coach once again started about the issue.

Of course, no excuse for his Mam brining up a 30 year old issue to get revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom