• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best number 6s in the world (Past and Present)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
They say its the most important position in World Football but I don't think this position gets discussed much. If you had to list top 5 all time CDMs who would they be from the last 20 years?

They say its the most important position in World Football but I don't think this position gets discussed much. If you had to list top 5 all time CDMs who would they be from the last 20 years?
Makelele
Rodri
Kante
Alonso
Busquets

Viera
Keane
Busquets
Casemiro
Kante
De Rossi
Suppose Fernandinho & Rodri would have to be in the mix.
Lucas Leiva of course is in the mix.

Weren't Viera and Keane more of an 8? I never really cared back then for other teams 6sm but I did love our 6s. Hamman was totally underrated. I remember masher being world class. I remember back then people were discussing if Alonso was a CDM or more of a Pirlo/Zidane type, a deep lying playmaker?

Makelele
Mascherano
Possibly would put Fernandinho in there - even though he is an UBER cunt
Kante

Lots ot PL bias there. I guess Busquets could be in the running.
Fabinho for 2 years was the best in the world.

Pirlo is my favorite #6 of all time. Had to be protected by 2 pitbulls (much like Redondo), but there has never been a better midfield conductor. Only Busquets can compare, but I prefer Pirlo’s style.

Lots of good defensive #6 from years past -Deschamps, Conte, Roy Keane, Arsenal’s Gilberto Silva, Yaya Toure, obviously Makelele, Mascher and Kante. Fabinho was close to perfect for a time. I don’t have a firm favorite in this category; every team needs a midfield general, but they are all sort of similar, unlike the attacking ones.

Last edited:
Any order in my lifetime

Busquets
Pirlo
Mascher
Makelele
Keane

Busquets the top for me potentially. Horrible bastard but by fuck he controlled a game

yeah then i saw who posted it
Well, how far do you want to go back? I'm sure @Judge Jules & @Vladsquiff could tell you about legends from the Watson days, when there was no live football and you had to be present at the match.
I said 20 years because a) Its fresher in people's memory & b) Players are generally are far better athletes now then they ever were 20plus years ago. If people want extend the range please do so, but justify it, as football analysis and data was not so strong back then, so a huge element of nostalgia comes in masking some of the many average games a player has had

The mark that Kante made is for me still very underrated. Key in Leicester's title victory, then moved to Chelsea and was key in them winning the title the next season.

He was excellent for both, but Chelsea a league push was expected. A shame vardy and Mahrez got a bulk of the praise for that Leicester win though

The players of yesteryear would get eaten alive in today’s game.

If you took them directly from the past and dropped them into today's game then yes, they might struggle as the game was very different then.

In some ways it would work in the other way too, of course, as today's players wouldn't be used to playing on horrendous pitches and getting kicked all over the place.

However, if the top players from the past followed the same training and fitness programmes as players do today they would be just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom