• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

BF 4 Eva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio

Former mod, consistent c***
Honorary Member
Referee Mike Dean made Chelsea VAR error to protect his ‘mate’ Anthony Taylor

GettyImages-1240887468-scaled-e1692913455638-1024x683.jpg

By The Athletic Staff
Aug 24, 2023

Former Premier League referee Mike Dean has admitted he failed to correct a mistake in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur last season to avoid his friend Anthony Taylor getting extra “grief”.
Dean, 55, was the VAR official at Stamford Bridge last August when Cristian Romero pulled Marc Cucurella’s hair before a Spurs corner that was turned in by Harry Kane to level the match. Both managers — Chelsea’s Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte of Spurs — were also booked after referee Taylor did not penalise Rodrigo Bentancur for a challenge on Kai Havertz.
Dean has now admitted he made a “really bad call” in not sending Taylor to review his decision before Kane’s stoppage-time equaliser.
Speaking on the Up Front podcast with Simon Jordan, Dean said: “I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view.
“It’s one of them where if I had my time again, what would I do? I’d send Anthony (Taylor) to the screen. I think I knew if I did send him to the screen … he’s cautioned both managers, he’s had a hell of a game, it’s been such a tough game end to end.
“I said to Anthony afterwards: ‘I just didn’t want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game’.
“I didn’t want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn’t want to send him up because I didn’t want any more grief than he already had.”
Dean was taken off VAR duty for two months and has since retired from the game. He said his decision not to tell Taylor to look at the Cucurella incident had an significant impact on him.
‘That was a major error,” he told the podcast. “If they don’t score from the corner it is not as big an issue. But I knew full well then I would be stood down the week after. I asked to take a bit of time off because it wasn’t for me.
“I used to get in the car on a Friday and was dreading Saturday. I was thinking, ‘I hope nothing happens’. I used to be petrified sitting in the chair.”
Dean had said in a column for the Daily Mail last year that he did not send Taylor to the screen because he did not believe what Romero did constituted violent conduct.
He wrote in August 2022: “In the few seconds I had to study Romero pulling Cucurella’s hair, I didn’t deem it a violent act. I’ve since studied the footage, spoken to other referees and, upon reflection, I should have asked Taylor to visit his pitch-side monitor to take a look for himself. The on-field referee always has the final say.
“It goes to show that no matter how experienced you are, and I’ve spent more than two decades as a Premier League official, you are always learning. It’s disappointing for me.”
PGMOL did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Athletic.

I couldnt believe it when I read it in all honesty. "Because he's a mate". Fucking hell.

The key thing for me from this article was the bit about what an ordeal it had been for Taylor already with the grief he was getting from the players and managers of the two teams. Doesn't justify what Dean did, but it's a valid point and it needs to be sorted. If clubs are consistently haranguing the refs then they need to be punished for it. It's not always because the ref is shite, it's usually to try to sway the game and that shit needs to stop. And I include Klopp v Tierney in that.

The key thing for me from this article was the bit about what an ordeal it had been for Taylor already with the grief he was getting from the players and managers of the two teams. Doesn't justify what Dean did, but it's a valid point and it needs to be sorted. If clubs are consistently haranguing the refs then they need to be punished for it. It's not always because the ref is shite, it's usually to try to sway the game and that shit needs to stop. And I include Klopp v Tierney in that.
It has been addressed.

No more than 1 coach in the technical area
If you abuse the 4th official, you get booked pronto.

Should add, if your kids say "Dad, I wanna be a ref", hold them down and phone the Chicago Bulls to run a train on their ass. They'll be there in minutes. If they can't make it, I can. Mostly.

The PL can force the Refs to be more accountable and transparent.
I think it's about time referees are asked to do Q&As after games and they're paid way more as a result. Games should now be audited, and ref who continually miss the grade a relegated from the game.

Get older retired referees or foreign officials to do VAR then they won't be mates with anyone out on the pitch and can be more objective with the decision making. Also mike dean and the rest of them should know that fans can more easily accept a decision if it's a correct one. Whether the referee on the pitch gets it right or not doesn't bother me if they get it right in the end with or without VAR.

Get older retired referees or foreign officials to do VAR then they won't be mates with anyone out on the pitch and can be more objective with the decision making. Also mike dean and the rest of them should know that fans can more easily accept a decision if it's a correct one. Whether the referee on the pitch gets it right or not doesn't bother me if they get it right in the end with or without VAR.
I had a similar thought the other day as our refs are so shit.

Part of the TV package money should be filtered into a referee pot where we employ the best of the best referees from around the world.

Officials have a tough job.

But while officials in every other sport come in for criticism of their performance, football is the only one I see where officials (justifiably) have their ethics and integrity questioned.

Why this is I have no idea.

"How dare he accuse himself of impropriety. We completely refute statements about our VAR referees, made by VAR referees"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom