• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Boat Race

They've got the heaviest crew in the history of the race haven't they?

Yeah, just checked the odds. 1/3 as opposed to 3/1 for Cambs.

Might have a cheeky dabble on Cambridge.

[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=32409.msg833396#msg833396 date=1238269009]
Oxford are favourites again HC, have been for a good few years now.
[/quote]

Most of the time perhaps, but not consistently, and after this year the pendulum will swing back towards Cambridge, who have a younger up-and-coming crew and have still won more races overall.

Can you tell whom I support?

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=32409.msg833438#msg833438 date=1238275263]
[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=32409.msg833396#msg833396 date=1238269009]
Oxford are favourites again HC, have been for a good few years now.
[/quote]

Most of the time perhaps, but not consistently, and after this year the pendulum will swing back towards Cambridge, who have a younger up-and-coming crew and have still won more races overall.

Can you tell whom I support?
[/quote]

Kent?

Cambridge suffered from the clash of oars.  I doubt whether they'd have won anyway, but you never know.

It's way past time they had neutral umpires, instead of past Oxbridge rowing Blues.  For quite a number of years now one or other crew (sometimes both) has done more than enough to warrant a disqualification, but no umpire is going to (a) disqualify the boat from his own old university or (b) risk accusations of bias by disqualifying the other boat.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=32409.msg833651#msg833651 date=1238339829]
Cambridge suffered from the clash of oars. I doubt whether they'd have won anyway, but you never know.

It's way past time they had neutral umpires, instead of past Oxbridge rowing Blues. For quite a number of years now one or other crew (sometimes both) has done more than enough to warrant a disqualification, but no umpire is going to (a) disqualify the boat from his own old university or (b) risk accusations of bias by disqualifying the other boat.
[/quote]

Yer, the clash obviously didn't help Cambridge, but the way Oxford rowed for the next 5 minutes after the clash, I think the clash is more or less by the by.

I fancied Cambridge up until that clash. Afterwards I think the cox (downbigging or whatever her name is) made an error in not upping the rate. Oxford were consistently rating higher, which up until the clash hadn't made a difference as cambridge's strokes were longer and stronger. You could tell though that confidence was lost and required more strokes to compensate for the loss of power being laid down.

Just before the clash of oars (which I think was filthy tactics from oxford btw) Oxford's odds on betfair were 2.5

Back
Top Bottom