• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bristol City keen on Liverpool starlet 'Suso'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Bristol City keen on Liverpool starlet 'Suso'
Monday, June 11, 2012
BRISTOL City boss Derek McInnes is targeting Liverpool wonder-kid Jesús Fernández Sáez.
Better known as Suso, the 18-year-old Spaniard is seen by McInnes as the kind of flair player who can ignite his midfield when the Championship campaign kicks off in August.
Yet to make his first-team debut for the Reds, the highly-rated former Cadiz starlet could be available on a season-long loan.
Although City have yet to formally register their interest in the attacking midfielder, he was one of a number of players discussed when McInnes met with City owner Steve Lansdown at the weekend to discuss transfer targets.
City have not had a truly creative midfield schemer since Brian Tinnion quit playing in 2005 and it is a deficiency McInnes is eager to address in the transfer market this summer.
Given that money for new signings is in short supply at Ashton Gate, the Scot hopes to persuade new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers to make Suso available on a season-long loan.
Signed from Spanish second division side Cadiz shortly after his 16th birthday by Reds boss Rafa Benitez in 2010, Suso is regarded as a potential first-team star of the future at Anfield.
Having acclimatised to English conditions in Liverpool's reserve team during the past two seasons, he is now ready to gain first-team experience elsewhere. And the Championship is considered an ideal learning ground for the talented youngster, who turned down Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid to sign for the Reds.
Full of flair and invention, Suso has been likened to former Liverpool play-maker Javi Alonso. He made his Liverpool debut aged 16 when he came on as a late substitute in a first-team friendly at Borussia Moenchengladbach as Roy Hodgson prepared his team for the 2010-11 season, and he was also involved in Jamie Carragher's testimonial against Everton.
He marked his 17th birthday by signing his first professional contract with the Reds in November 2010 and is expected to train with the first team at Melwood when Liverpool players report back for pre-season training next month.
Although Suso played on the right wing for Liverpool's youth and reserve teams, he is considered most effective when deployed in a central midfield role.
Capable of creating and scoring goals, his range of passing means he can also adopt the anchor role and dictate terms in front of the defence.
Having forged a side that was organised and hard to beat in a bid to stave off relegation in his first season at the club, McInnes would like to embrace a more expansive style when the new campaign kicks off on August 18.
He has plenty of choice when it comes to combative ball-winning midfield players who can break up play, but the squad lacks anyone with the ability to supply the strikers with defence-splitting passes from a central position.
Scotland international Paul Hartley provided the ammunition for Nicky Maynard to score a majority of his 21 goals in the 2009-10 campaign, but he has not been adequately replaced since leaving to join Aberdeen at the end of that season.
McInnes believes Suso could fulfil a role similar to those performed in recent seasons by Henri Lansbury, Aaron Ramsey and Scott Sinclair, who excelled for West Ham United, Cardiff City and Swansea respectively after being recruited on loan from Premier League clubs.

Who the hell is Javi Alonso, and why is this article comparing Suso to him?
Anyway,, I think he has the potential to be a top class first team player at our club. Hope Rodgers chooses the absolute best club that'll help him develop.

Who the hell is Javi Alonso, and why is this article comparing Suso to him?
Anyway,, I think he has the potential to be a top class first team player at our club. Hope Rodgers chooses the absolute best club that'll help him develop.

Personally I think he'd benefit more from playing with us. A loan move wouldn't hurt, but I think he's ready to step it up.

I hate these fucking loan moves, particularly with kids when has it worked.........it almost did with Shelvey , but we fucked that one up?
All that happens is they go on loan and either disappear into obscurity or we get fucked over and have to give them away. We shall have to see how the Joe Cole one works, but he is no kid.

If they look like they are going to be any good, give them a few games and lets see, if they float , great if they sink, sell them.

regards

Totally disagree with that Vlad. I think loans are a really useful part of almost all youngsters' development - for players too good for the reserves and not ready for the first team it's miles better for them to be on loan playing decent professional football than stuck stagnating with barely a kick of football.

I first want to see who we sell and buy before any loans are considered. Suso and Sterling should be getting game time and stepping up. Sterling and Suso can do no worse than Downing and Henderson.

Totally disagree with that Vlad. I think loans are a really useful part of almost all youngsters' development - for players too good for the reserves and not ready for the first team it's miles better for them to be on loan playing decent professional football than stuck stagnating with barely a kick of football.
Give me some examples Mr H, I can't think of any where a kid went off came back and made it to any sort if level in the first team. As I said oblivion or stolen. If they are too good for the reserves they are ready for first team squad, or sell them.

regards

I hate these fucking loan moves, particularly with kids when has it worked.........it almost did with Shelvey , but we fucked that one up?
All that happens is they go on loan and either disappear into obscurity or we get fucked over and have to give them away. We shall have to see how the Joe Cole one works, but he is no kid.

If they look like they are going to be any good, give them a few games and lets see, if they float , great if they sink, sell them.

regards

You're certainly right that, unless a loan move is really chosen very, very, carefully, they can be at best a waste of time and at worst downright disastrous. Spearing was helped at Leicester, and Shelvey at Blackpool, but not many others have done well. I remember when Mellor was loaned out to West Ham and the other forwards refused to pass to him, thus condemning him to the bench after some really awkward appearances. It was outrageous to see such childishness.

The only mild success story at Liverpool in recent years has been Warnock, but why do we have to base our judgement soley on Liverpool's failure in the past?
There are tons of success stories from loans in other teams, whether it be an Eto or a Villa, or to lesser extent players like Sturidge.

If chosen correctly, and if there's good communication between both clubs, it's surely not a bad idea to loan players out under certain circumstances.

What's to say our failure in recent years with loaning players out hasn't got anything to do with those players actually being complete shite?
I can't remember us sending any magnificent talent out on loan. In fact our youth have been bloody average once Gerrard had come through.
We've finally got some talented lads in the reserves and I think they really could do with some game time in professional teams with proper pressure from supporters.

Give me some examples Mr H, I can't think of any where a kid went off came back and made it to any sort if level in the first team. As I said oblivion or stolen. If they are too good for the reserves they are ready for first team squad, or sell them.

regards

imo you're looking at the wrong problem, namely that we just haven't produced enough good youngsters. Who's come through recently? Kelly and Spearing, both of whom went on loan and seemed to benefit from it. I really think you're just being a bit silly with the 'ready or sell em' rhetoric. There is that transitional period for all but the very best players, so I can't see why it's better to have them mostly idle than playing and learning.

Look at the top English youngsters: Welbeck, Sturridge, Wilshere, Hart, Walker. All went on loan and came back better. There's no reason why it should work for other clubs and not us if and when we start producing and loaning out really quality players.

Cleverly did well at Wigan and would probably have been in the Utd team if not for injury this season.

The club no longer develops talent in the reserves to the extent it used to in Paisley's day, partly because the reserve set-up is nowhere near as competitive as it used to be, so loaning out to suitable clubs seems more important as a strategy than it's ever seemed before. The important thing is to only do it when certain assurances are received about where they'll play and how often. Ginsoak seems able to dictate to an extraordinary extent how he wants his loanees deployed. If Rodgers can do the same - and presumably that's a decent enough test of how serious any potential club is about any player - then it ought to do the player a huge amount of good.

I agree with this. Loaning a player out can be a tricky one to get right, but if you find the right deal then it can pay be very useful. Hart, Welbeck, Sturrdge, etc, have all benefitted hugely from loan deals.

I'd love us to team up with local clubs in the area and loan them our younger stars. I have very little faith in the reserve set-up in this country and would much rather see them getting football at a Championship level.

I think it'd be a good move for him. The championship is a competitive league. Some of our current squad have spent time there in recent years. Shelvey, Carroll, Enrique, Adam....Ultimately if Suso is good enough he'll come back to us and make it here, I suppose another thing is if Rodgers sees that Suso has the potential to make it and sees Bristol City as a good fit for Suso to play in a team that may play similar football to what Rodgers has in store for us, much like wenger does when he loans out his future stars (ie, wilshere and ramsey to name a few).

I think Vlad makes a good point when he suggests - if I understand him correctly - that there's something a little wrong anyway if a promising young player isn't already knocking on the door, Owen-style, here and now. The problem these days is that many young players get over-hyped long before they really DO start knocking on the door, and that shows once they go out on loan and perform like the unfinished articles they still are. In that sense, more often than not, loaning most players is a speedier way of getting them bought by another club, which in itself is a good policy to have. Loaning seriously promising players demands much more of a special, tailored, strategy, and the opportunities for doing that are usually very few.

Didn't Martin Kelly go out on loan, didn't seem to do him any harm?

Yes, Huddersfield, with Terry Mac reporting back to the club. Again, that shows what good can come from a well-chosen move with reliable guidance and communication throughout. I won't pretend I have a clue how Bristol City play these days, so I can't say how helpful it might be for Suso, but he's a clever player whose game relies on playing alongside similarly clever, quick-thinking players, and I'd be surprised if Bristol have those. I'd have thought a more or less guaranteed place in the teams for the Europa League matches would help him more at this stage.

I think Vlad makes a good point when he suggests - if I understand him correctly - that there's something a little wrong anyway if a promising young player isn't already knocking on the door, Owen-style, here and now. The problem these days is that many young players get over-hyped long before they really DO start knocking on the door, and that shows once they go out on loan and perform like the unfinished articles they still are. In that sense, more often than not, loaning most players is a speedier way of getting them bought by another club, which in itself is a good policy to have. Loaning seriously promising players demands much more of a special, tailored, strategy, and the opportunities for doing that are usually very few.
He does make a good point and in the main that is what I was getting at. I was being more specific and only talking about Liverpool too, 23Carra has found one, but as Macca points out better controlled than most.
Thank you Mr Macca btw

regards

BRENDAN Rodgers holds the key to Bristol City's hopes of landing Spanish teenager Jesus Fernandez Saez from Liverpool.

As revealed in The Post last Monday, the 18-year-old midfielder known as Suso, pictured, is being targeted by Robins boss Derek McInnes.

Although City's manager sounded out the player's agent last month regarding the possibility of taking Suso on a season-long loan, further progress has been impossible given recent events at Anfield.

If City felt confident Kenny Dalglish would sanction a deal, all bets were off when the Scot was sacked last month and replaced by former Swansea manager Rodgers.

Suso's agent has yet to speak to Rodgers regarding the midfielder's future and it now appears likely any decision will be delayed until after Liverpool's players report back for pre-season training in mid-July.

Yet to make a first-team appearance in a competitive match for the Reds, the Spaniard would almost certainly have been made available on loan had Dalglish kept his job. But Rodgers needs time to familiarise himself with the players he has inherited and his intentions regarding Suso remain unclear.

McInnes is also having to be patient in his pursuit of Coventry City defender Richard Keogh.

City had an initial bid, believed to be around the £250,000 mark, rejected by the Sky Blues last month, while Cardiff offered significantly more and were also turned down.

Although McInnes has indicated his continued interest, he will await the outcome of negotiations between Keogh and Coventry officials regarding a contract extension before making an improved offer.

Keogh has a year left on his contract at the Ricoh Arena and, if he refuses to agree a new deal, the cash-strapped Sky Blues may be forced to sell in order to help balance the books. But nothing will happen until Keogh returns from the Maldives, where he is on honeymoon.

McInnes is away on holiday with his family, but will continue his efforts to recruit new players from his Florida base. He has already signed Jody Morris and Stephen Pearson to bolster his midfield and is also in the market for a centre-half, left-back, goalkeeper and a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom