• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Burnley (H) - Sat 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Right, I am moving into 'goldfish' mode and forgetting about the shit show from yesterday.

We have a week to prepare for our bounce back. I hope part of this involves assessing the flaws in our tactics, but I actually have no faith in that and think we will be back to inverted full backs who have been quite detrimental to our play this season. I expect Gomez to cover for suspended Konate, but maybe Quansah will get the call up as Gomez probably needs a rest.

Alisson

Trent
Quansah
Virgil
Robbo

Endo (Hallelujah)
Jones
Szobo

Diaz
Jota
Nunez

If Bradley is back in training, I really think he needs to come back. We had a beautiful 4 weeks of forgetting about our inversion system that we had to change mid game in almost every match prior.

I'm already dreading trent at right back. We've truly been spoiled recently by being reminded of what we used to do at right back.

A week to prepare and continue our title hunt. I wont go in to the "flaws in our tactics" given that we've lost 2 of the last 34 league games. But:

Macca shouldnt be dropped. He's been our best player for the last few games.
If Dom is out:

Alisson
Trent Quansah Virgil Robbo

Macca Endo Jones

Jota Nunez Diaz

I have a feeling Salah is back on the bench for this one. Perfect boost going forward.
If Trent still isnt fully fit then Bradley starts. Rumor was that Trent was supposed to be on the bench yesterday and Bradley starting.

Ideally we'll see; Ali Bradley Quansah Virgil Robbo Endo Szobo Mac Diaz Nunez Jota

But if Bradley/Szobo aren't available, then Gomez and Jones in.

I think we should use this game to get our players back into shape.
I like @Brizzle's line up

Sub Jones, get Thiago in after 60 mins.
Who else?
Salah maybe?

If Bradley is back then it's a no-brainer, the players who've just returned after a long stint out/away can all win their place back in the team as far as I'm concerned.

------------------Ali----------------
Bradley--Quansah-VVD---Gomez
----------------Macca-------------
--------Szobo---------Jones------
--Diaz---------Jota--------Nunez

Trent, Salah, Endo and Robbo all on the bench. If Szobo doesn't make it then Endo and Trent can scrap it out. No way should Gomez be dropped for Robbo.

Our strongest midfield imo is:

----------ENDO

SZOBO---------MACCA

If that midfield starts against City, we'll win. Trent can continue at RB.

I'd be keen to protect Gomez, either by putting Robo on the left, or playing him at CB so he isn't running up and down wings. He's become vital to success this season with the cover he provides.

I agree at a base level, i just don't think jones has done anything wrong to deserve being pushed out.
He hasn't, but someone has to be sacrificed and Endo is our only real DM and he runs his legs off for the team. I think that's a well balanced midfield.

I agree at a base level, i just don't think jones has done anything wrong to deserve being pushed out.
Jones hasn't really transferred his form in the cups over to the league, especially in the big games. Went missing yesterday for most the game, little to shout about in the reverse game at Anfield and was terrible at City too.

Off the ball work is great but he needs to be doing a lot more on it.

Last edited:
He hasn't, but someone has to be sacrificed and Endo is our only real DM and he runs his legs off for the team. I think that's a well balanced midfield.
It's an exceptionally balanced midfield. We've just not seen it in the flesh yet to know if it is.

On paper, it's our strongest

I hope part of this involves assessing the flaws in our tactics, but I actually have no faith in that and think we will be back to inverted full backs who have been quite detrimental to our play this season.
I don't like that tactic either but ... where are we in the PL at this moment?

Right, I am moving into 'goldfish' mode and forgetting about the shit show from yesterday.

We have a week to prepare for our bounce back. I hope part of this involves assessing the flaws in our tactics, but I actually have no faith in that and think we will be back to inverted full backs who have been quite detrimental to our play this season. I expect Gomez to cover for suspended Konate, but maybe Quansah will get the call up as Gomez probably needs a rest.

Alisson

Trent
Quansah
Virgil
Robbo

Endo (Hallelujah)
Jones
Szobo

Diaz
Jota
Nunez

If Bradley is back in training, I really think he needs to come back. We had a beautiful 4 weeks of forgetting about our inversion system that we had to change mid game in almost every match prior.
No way is Endo starting over Mac ! Especially at home to Burnley. Otherwise that's the team (unless Mo. is back).

I'd be keen to protect Gomez, either by putting Robo on the left, or playing him at CB so he isn't running up and down wings. He's become vital to success this season with the cover he provides.
Konate is only missing one match and you can't wrap a player in cotton wool by playing him out of position to protect him (whilst weakening our line-up). We protect players by resting them whenever possible (by subbing or not starting them).

Hasn't Macca been one of our best players in every match since he returned from injury?
Him and Bradley have been taking it in turns lately for MOTM and runner up.

But Endo was also looking like one of our best players before he left, he bossed it in there against Newcastle and Utd, Burnley too. West Ham in the cup.

Yeah i'd be surprised if endo is just plonked in to the starting xi

Yeah i'd be surprised if endo is just plonked in to the starting xi
Why? It's not as if he hasn't been playing.

Plus he's back at AXA today so more than enough training sessions/recovery time to start.

I don't like that tactic either but ... where are we in the PL at this moment?

We are there because in countless games we moved Trent to midfield. Trent has been on fire in that CM role, mostly when we have moved someone else to RB.

If we hadn’t been making those changes we’d be 3rd or 4th.

No way is Endo starting over Mac ! Especially at home to Burnley. Otherwise that's the team (unless Mo. is back).

For me the best midfield would be Endo Jones & Macca. But he also needs rest and rotation, against Burnley that should be fine.

We are there because in countless games we moved Trent to midfield. Trent has been on fire in that CM role, mostly when we have moved someone else to RB.

If we hadn’t been making those changes we’d be 3rd or 4th.
Exactly my point. We don't like Trent playing the inverted FB but that's what's led to us leading the PL with a great chance of taking the title - not when he's moved to CM per se though because that's a handful of times at most.
Which after last season's collapse would likely be the greatest achievement in PL history.

Exactly my point. We don't like Trent playing the inverted FB but that's what's led to us leading the PL with a great chance of taking the title.
Which after last season's collapse would likely be the greatest achievement in PL history.

What led us to leading the PL was making changes in-game to move Trent from inverted RB to CM.

It isn’t a radical suggestion to say we should try starting games like this instead of trying the same thing over & over and expecting different results

What led us to leading the PL was making changes in-game to move Trent from inverted RB to CM.

It isn’t a radical suggestion to say we should try starting games like this instead of trying the same thing over & over and expecting different results
I disagree. Though this may be a case of my memory messing with me, but he's rarely moved to CM with someone else at RB.
Just Konate or the RCB covering him.

I disagree. Though this may be a case of my memory messing with me, but he's rarely moved to CM with someone else at RB.

It’s happened about 5 times in the league. When i get time i can bring the receipts.

Fulham was one. Newcastle away another. Palace game too i think. Off the top of my head. All games we had to change in order to get a winner.

This line that you & @Hansern are pushing most is looking at two things (1. Trent starting at RB and 2. LFC top of the league) and assuming that correlation equals causation, without actually watching how we are changing our tactic mid game frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom