• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Burnley pre-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
If I were Klopp, I would seriously consider surprising everyone with a switch to 4-2-3-1 (or 4-2-1-3) for this game. We have an advantage of having a whole week of training before this game (unlike Burnely who had to play midweek), so it makes sense to use it for an added advantage of a tactical surprise. Leaving the surprise factor aside, there are 2 reasons why I think inverting the midfield triangle against Burnley would make sense:
  1. We could use some additional creativity to break down a well-drilled and compact 4-4-2 type defense, which won't allow Trent and Robbo the kind of freedom Arsenal did with their "diamond." One potential weakness of a 4-4-2 is that their 2-man midfield could be vulnerable if we make them worry about an extra attacker, someone like Ox or Shaqiri (or perhaps Firmino at #10 and Ox or Shaqiri on the flank).
  2. Having 2 CMs in front on the defensive line, rather than sometimes laterally-challenged Fabinho on his own, will help us get to more second balls resulting from the punts to the strikers, thus limiting the primary way Burnley can threaten us. Having a partner alongside him could also allow Fabinho more license to get forward with the ball, creating another headache for Burnley's midfield.
I would also consider starting Milner at RB for this game – I think his presence on the pitch could be useful in a physical game and he's just as capable as Trent at providing assists.

----------------Adrian----------------
----------Matip------Van Dijk------
Milner-------------------------Robbo
----------Fabinho----Hendo-------
Salah--------Oxlade-------Mane--
-----------------Firmino---------------

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Trent, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi

Last edited:
If I were Klopp, I would seriously consider surprising everyone with a switch to 4-2-3-1 (or 4-2-1-3) for this game. We have an advantage of having a whole week of training before this game (unlike Burnely who had to play midweek), so it makes sense to use it for an added advantage of a tactical surprise. Leaving the surprise factor aside, there are 2 reasons why I think inverting the midfield triangle against Burnley would make sense:
  1. We could use some additional creativity to break down a well-drilled and compact 4-4-2 type defense, which won't allow Trent and Robbo the kind of freedom Arsenal did with their "diamond." One potential weakness of a 4-4-2 is that their 2-man midfield could be vulnerable if we make them worry about an extra attacker, someone like Ox or Shaqiri (or perhaps Firmino at #10 and Ox or Shaqiri on the flank).
  2. Having 2 CMs in front on the defensive line, rather than sometimes laterally-challenged Fabinho on his own, will help us get to more second balls resulting from the punts to the strikers, thus limiting the primary way Burnley can threaten us. Having a partner alongside him could also allow Fabinho more license to get forward with the ball, creating another headache for Burnley's midfield.
I would also consider starting Milner at RB for this game – I think his presence on the pitch could be useful in a physical game and he's just as capable as Trent at providing assists.

----------------Adrian----------------
----------Matip------Van Dijk------
Milner-------------------------Robbo
----------Fabinho----Hendo-------
Salah--------Oxlade-------Mane--
-----------------Firmino---------------

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Trent, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi
The starting line up requires Trent, I think what we will find is that if we go up in the game early and they start getting a little rough then we take Ox out and put Milner on to deal with cuntish football. Probably 2nd half these changes are required. Also if we play Trent ...and he gets a slight little tiny niggle...a niggle enough to keep him out of the internationals...not a bad thing in its own right.

No chance Milner playing RB if Trent's fit...he's 1 of our main providers.

Adrian Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson Fabinho Hendo Ox Salah Mane Firmino

I've said all summer we'll use a 4-2-3-1 formation quite a bit at the start of the season, I still stand by that.

As such this game would be perfect for it, allows us to rest one or two of the regular forwards, & uses the position we have tonnes of cover in to do so.

I said earlier this week that Lallana or Chamberlain could start cos we need someone to break the lines against these (something we singularly failed to do against Arsenal properly, partly due to how narrow they set up to force us to use the full backs, which was actually effective at times & a top class side could probably replicate to better effect, but I digress), & in a formation with 3 behind 1 forward both of those players make a lot of sense.

Why are we resting players before an international week. dumb line up by op. Given the rationale used, it's more like milner comes in for ox in the midfield.

For all his defensive faults, taa is instrumental to our attacking play.

Quite similar to Rurik but;

Adrian
TAA Matip Virgil Robbo
Henderson Fabinho Ox
Salah Firmino Mane

4-2-3-1 might be a good option against Burnley's 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

Given Courtney Sweetman-Kirk's form I'd say let's mix things up a bit an d stick her up top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom