• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carra to Stevie: 'Twice as good as 2009'

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstrung_pigeon

Well-Known
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...od-2009-Liverpool-major-title-contenders.html

Beating United at Old Trafford was twice as good as 2009... this would be up there with the glory days of Shankly and Paisley

- Liverpool went to Old Trafford and played Manchester United off the park
- When we won 4-1 in March 2009, the scoreline was a little distorted
- The impact of Sunday's win reached the Etihad, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates - Brendan Rodgers' side are soaring with confidence
- Jon Flanagan, Raheem Sterling and Jordan Henderson have come of age
- If Liverpool were to win the league, it would be on a par with Bill Shankly’s FA Cup triumph in 1965 or Bob Paisley’s European Cup success of 1977

By Jamie Carragher

PUBLISHED: 22:16 GMT, 17 March 2014 | UPDATED: 08:42 GMT, 18 March 2014

On my way home from White Hart Lane on Sunday evening, I sent Steven Gerrard a message as I do after most Liverpool games.

Normally I’ll ask him how he felt the match went or for his views on any major talking points but this time, having watched Liverpool dismantle Manchester United, no questions needed answering. So I punched the words ‘Twice as good as 2009’ into my phone.

I know what it is like to go to Old Trafford and win by three goals but I couldn’t tell you how it feels to go there, play United off the park and make them spend the last 10 minutes chasing shadows as Liverpool’s ecstatic fans shout ‘Ole!’ with each tormenting pass.

When we won 4-1 in March 2009, the final score was a little distorted.

Don’t get me wrong, our display was superb but we had to deal with spells of pressure, trailed to a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty and only pulled away in the last 13 minutes with two goals after Nemanja Vidic had been sent off.

I remember the celebrations in the away end being raucous and we were delighted as we walked off the pitch, yet our elation was tempered.

We were still four points behind United, having played a game more. We hoped we would win the title but they still held the upper hand.

Sunday’s performance, however, was completely different. United may be an inferior side to the team they were five years ago but that should not detract one bit from what Liverpool did to them.

The intent was there from the first kick and 6-0 at the final whistle wouldn’t have been flattering.

What’s more, the impact of the result and performance will have been felt across Manchester at the Etihad Stadium, reaching Stamford Bridge and the Emirates Stadium in the process. Nobody will dare underestimate Liverpool now.

Manuel Pellegrini, Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger will have looked at the two games Liverpool have just faced, away trips to United and Southampton, and probably expected them to return with, at best, four points.

That they have come through them with six unanswered goals, maximum points and confidence soaring will be causing Pellegrini, Mourinho and Wenger concern. The more they get into this race, the more impressive Liverpool look.

Full credit to Brendan Rodgers, who is handling the situation supremely well. What you get with Brendan is exactly what you see.

In his interviews and in the technical area, he never gets over-excited, always remaining in control.

That’s what you want from a manager — focus and composure, a clear plan and unshakeable belief in his methods.

He is a coach who thinks progressively, coaxing improvement from his players with encouragement and giving them opportunities.

We get told constantly about the problems with the British game.

How players can’t play the right way or retain possession, yet here is a British manager defying the critics and showing it is possible for young players to play with style and great technique.

He has been repaid with consistent performances and increasingly impressive results and you only have to see how Jon Flanagan, Raheem Sterling and Jordan Henderson have come of age during this campaign, maturing from boys to men.

Sterling must now be a certainty to make the World Cup squad. He knows how to use his explosive pace and he has an end product to go with his skill. Flanagan, meanwhile, is putting himself into contention to be on the plane.

England are well stocked for full backs but if something were to happen to Glen Johnson or Kyle Walker, Flanagan should be the first port of call. He is more than just someone who can make a tackle and he is versatile, uses the ball well and is growing in confidence.

What I like most about Brendan is that he is brave. Some managers won’t tackle issues but Brendan is proactive. Within weeks of getting the Liverpool job, he sent Andy Carroll, the British record transfer fee, out on loan to West Ham. The popular Pepe Reina, similarly, was loaned to Napoli.

His handling of Luis Suarez, most impressively, was strong. Even when Luis was trying to force through a move to Arsenal, Brendan wasn’t afraid to discipline him, making him train on his own after he had overstepped the mark with comments he made in the media.

Brendan has the trust of his players and they respond positively to how he treats them. He is honest and wants to help them improve. He places a big emphasis on having respect and the camaraderie between coaching staff and squad is evident.

Liverpool, certainly, have the momentum with them and the biggest compliment you can give Brendan is that he has manoeuvred the club into a position to challenge for the title so quickly; Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez, for instance, took four seasons to get there.

If Liverpool were to do it, the achievement would be on a par with Bill Shankly’s FA Cup triumph in 1965 or Bob Paisley’s European Cup success of 1977. Even though Liverpool have won 18 titles, this would feel like a first, such is the hunger and desire to get there.

Will they do it? They definitely have the right weapons. Liverpool look strong whereas you can question their rivals: will Chelsea pay for the lack of a top-class striker? Is Manchester City’s defence strong enough? Do Arsenal have the players to produce when it matters?

There will be more twists and turns and Liverpool are going to have to prepare themselves for something not going their way over the next nine games. How they handle a tense situation will be the real test.

I am certain, though, that the two Anfield games against Chelsea and City will determine the outcome of the title race.

The best atmosphere I ever played in was in 2005, in the Champions League semi-final, when we beat Chelsea 1-0, a night when the stadium literally shook. Should Liverpool repeat that score on April 27 the atmosphere, like Sunday’s performance at Old Trafford, will be on another level.

The 4-1win was against a much, much, better team, so I don't really agree about that.

He's right in what it meant. I remember us all singing 'we're gonna win the league' in 2009 and not believing it for a minute. We have a much better chance now.

All of this praise, positivity and euphoria simply serves to make me feel that something shitty is waiting around the corner to give us a collective punch in the face.

He's right in what it meant. I remember us all singing 'we're gonna win the league' in 2009 and not believing it for a minute. We have a much better chance now.

That is about attitude and reaction. I don't see what that has to do with the result or the performances. If we play as well against City or Chelski then that is a huge achievement. Saying that it was more impressive to beat Moyes' team than a very disciplined team boasting Ronaldo and co strikes me as on a par with Carra's many other woozy-headed remarks, which are always well-intended but are often lacking in logic.

All of this praise, positivity and euphoria simply serves to make me feel that something shitty is waiting around the corner to give us a collective punch in the face.

This is how I've been feeling. My head says we're actually good but my instinct tells me we're bound to fuck it up somehow. That said, if I look back to when we were last in with a shout with the league under Benitez we were very cautious in our approach to the point where we all became overly frustrated in that and we shot ourselves in the foot with our negative approach to games. It feels different under Rodgers - he has instilled some belief, confidence and calmness in the team and also approaches each game trying to win it. It's kind of that "fuck it just go for it" approach i.e having a set of balls that makes me think "you just never know" even though my self defence mechanisms are saying "no, not going to happen"

It's a defence mechanism which has become ingrained in us over the years, that's how hard it's been to be a Liverpool fan recently, even when it's blindly obvious we're fantastic, it's so hard to stay confident.

It's no good going from being cautious to being cavalier. You need balance during the run in. I think we can do that.

Defo. Yesterday I was talking to a Geordie and a Sheff Weds fan who were going on and on about how ace we are and how much they want us to win the league because of the footy style, how we're the best team to watch, and coz they like BR and stuff. And I'm all like, I think we're a bit shaky and the squad ain't strong enough and they're all like WTF you're well the best in the league.

It's no good going from being cautious to being cavalier. You need balance during the run in. I think we can do that.

I think Rodgers has done that the last couple of games.

It's not simply a coincidence that we've gotten a couple of clean sheets. We're still breaking as quickly, & in numbers, but we're leaving a man back in midfield more often & we're playing less 'Come & get me' balls across the back four than we were too, choosing instead to play them across the line further up the pitch, which still exposes them, but not as much, & at less risk to our goal.

I see as more going from cautious to confident. It's not Kevin Keegan stuff.

Well I think there's a difference between confidence and 'fuck it just go for it'. I'd say the latter was Keegan's approach. Rodgers knows what he's doing, that's the difference, it's confidence based on intelligence, not hope.

Defo. Yesterday I was talking to a Geordie and a Sheff Weds fan who were going on and on about how ace we are and how much they want us to win the league because of the footy style, how we're the best team to watch, and coz they like BR and stuff. And I'm all like, I think we're a bit shaky and the squad ain't strong enough and they're all like WTF you're well the best in the league.
Yeah I'm a bit like that - I find it a little weird when other fans big up how Liverpool have been this season. I've got a mate who is a die hard Leeds fan. He called me after the game telling me brilliant Liverpool are and how he really wants us to win the league. I honestly didn't know what to say.

The run-in certainly feels unique. I've been sceptical of the 'oh, they're not in Europe' argument' for most of the season - I don't think it HAS made that much difference (it would have done if we'd been in Europe before so that psychologically these players would have consciously felt so much fresher this time around, whereas we still seemed to need to rest some for cup games and we looked incredibly heavy-legged in the second halves of the autumn games) - but I think it does matter for the run-in. A big difference is that every title run-in I recall saw us practically on our knees as the last few games arrived. There had to be so much done to conserve energy as we tried to be clinical and clever (and we were masters of the pass back to the keeper). This team does now look so full of energy they can play really intensely right to the end. The other factor, perversely, is naivete - again, if you look back at, say, Hansen's autobiography, he talks about the fear of what could be lost as the run-in began weighing on him so heavily he'd barely be able to sleep from week to week. Most of this team don't really know what they could lose, in a tangible sense, they just try to keep winning, and that adds positivity to their freshness. City are the favourites and Chelsea have the cynical nous to make a fight of it, but the momentum is with us.

it might be just me, but somehow I felt the much criticized defenders looked more confident and relaxed on the ball than the much (deserved) appraised attackers in our team... The defence were not stressed at all, and just kept the ball rolling, while both Sturridge and Suarez looked like rushing things when they had more time. I trust them to be back to normal next weekend!!!

it might be just me, but somehow I felt the much criticized defenders looked more confident and relaxed on the ball than the much (deserved) appraised attackers in our team... The defence were not stressed at all, and just kept the ball rolling, while both Sturridge and Suarez looked like rushing things when they had more time. I trust them to be back to normal next weekend!!!

Yes, I also like the fact that both CBs now sometimes, when the time seems right, bring the ball out of defence themselves. Both of them have always been able to do this, but have seemed discouraged. It's so nice to see after a bit too much faffing about passing sideways before a Mignolet hoof.

Lets win this puppy.

And then dress it in this!

3uhahe6y.jpg

In part that is due to the incredible work rate of the midfield. Watched the game last night again and our pressing and positioning was absolutely fantastic, we never gave them a chance to get going, particularly after the second goal. Henderson was amazingly athletic in this stage of the match, he seemed to cover three players at the same time incredible!!

Tony Barrett
Last updated at 12:01AM, March 18 2014
With nine matches to play in the Barclays Premier League, Liverpool trail Chelsea by four points with a game in hand and home games against the leaders and Manchester City to come. What has turned the team into title contenders again?

The blossoming of Brendan Rodgers
Away to Manchester United and Southampton, Rodgers played a midfield diamond that allowed Liverpool to penetrate with the ball and remain compact without it. Earlier in the season he switched from 3-5-2 to 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 to 4-4-2. The tactical flexibility of the manager is allowing Liverpool to maximise their options despite having only a limited number of players he feels able to rely on. Opponents may have a good idea of who will be in Liverpool’s line-up before they play them, but not how they will line up.

Rodgers’s growing self-belief was also apparent in other ways at Old Trafford on Sunday and was emphasised by the crisis of confidence that continues to dog David Moyes. Where the United manager dithered over substitutions, Rodgers was first to make a change, putting on Philippe Coutinho for Raheem Sterling, and bypassing the opportunity to make a negative one — introducing Lucas at the expense of an attacker for example — he demonstrated the positivity fuelling Liverpool’s title challenge.

Keeping it clean
One month ago, Rodgers so despaired of Liverpool’s defending, he claimed the kind of mistakes that had leaked three goals in a 4-3 win over Swansea City could not be eradicated through coaching. The same back four that struggled that day last month has since kept consecutive clean sheets at St Mary’s and Old Trafford, with Jon Flanagan of the opinion that, contrary to his manager’s assertion, training-ground drills have made a difference.

“The back four have had a bit of criticism this season, but we’ve been doing a lot of work to try to keep things tight,” Flanagan said. “That’s two clean sheets in a row now and hopefully we can keep many more between now and the end of the season.” Sunday was the first time since August that Liverpool kept clean sheets against successive Premier League opponents. Should that trend continue, their chances of winning the title will improve considerably.

The power of Anfield Road
As Chris Foy, the referee, knows to his cost, José Mourinho has a way with words, even when he claims to have taken the fifth amendment, but a statement he made a decade ago could be giving him cause for concern. “I felt the power of Anfield Road, it was magnificent,” he said after Chelsea had been knocked out of the Champions League semi-finals by Liverpool. “I felt it didn’t interfere with my players, but maybe it interfered with other people and maybe it interfered with the result.”

Liverpool have failed to take maximum points in only two out of 14 games at Anfield this season and average three goals per home match. That record suggests the power of Anfield Road has returned and also indicates that Liverpool will have a big say in the title race, whether they end up winning it or not, with home games to come against Manchester City and Chelsea.

Forward planning
Between them, Luis Suárez and Daniel Sturridge have scored 43 goals this season. The only Premier League teams with a higher overall total are Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United. For all the tributes that rightly came City’s way earlier in the campaign, statistics indicate that Liverpool, who have scored five more league goals, have a superior attack and their total of 76 is more than 43 previous English champions registered over an entire season.

Diego Maradona was an interested onlooker at Old Trafford and spontaneously applauded the irrepressible Suárez on several occasions. The likelihood is that the Argentina legend saw a little of himself in the Uruguayan, who is blessed with individual brilliance and an insatiable appetite. Suárez’s desperation to score was evident against United even at 2-0 and Nemanja Vidic’s dismissal making the game safe. He got his goal — his 25th of the season — and in doing so provided another reminder that Liverpool boast the league’s most outstanding performer, one who may be capable of inspiring them to title glory just as Maradona did at Napoli.

Happy days are here again
If a graph were to be drawn depicting Liverpool’s sense of contentment in recent years, early October 2010 (Hicks and Gillett were in their final days as owners, Roy Hodgson was manager, Blackpool were winning at Anfield) would probably be the low point. Since those dark days, Liverpool have slowly but surely become a club at peace with themselves, on and off the pitch.

It may be stretching things to claim that their happiness chart peaked at Old Trafford — there was a League Cup win in February 2012 and several results have prompted euphoria this season — but Sunday’s events demonstrated again that, from boardroom to boot room, Liverpool have rediscovered the sense of togetherness that gives them a chance of being successful.

Rodgers’s impact, obviously, has been crucial, but so too was the role played by Kenny Dalglish in reuniting a club that was fractured in October 2010.

3-5-2 was a fucking shambles.
I hope we never ever do it again.

Rory Smith
Published at 12:01AM, March 18 2014
It is the tighest title race in years, but who will come out on top? Rory Smith surveys the final fixtures for the four main contenders and gives his verdict on who will be crowned champions

CHELSEA
Arsenal (H), Crystal Palace (A), Stoke City (H), Swansea City (A), Sunderland (H), Liverpool (A), Norwich City (H), Cardiff City (A).
• For all José Mourinho’s protestations that “every fixture is difficult”, Chelsea’s remaining games are easier than anyone else’s. Only the visit of Arsenal and the trip to Liverpool look daunting.

LIVERPOOL
Cardiff (A), Sunderland (H), Tottenham Hotspur (H), West Ham United (A), Manchester City (H), Norwich (A), Chelsea (H), Palace (A), Newcastle United (H).
• The Premier League’s form side will take solace in their most difficult remaining games being at Anfield. If they are to win their first title since 1990, they will need to beat Spurs, Manchester City and Chelsea at home.

ARSENAL
Chelsea (A), Swansea (H), Manchester City (H), Everton (A), West Ham (H), Hull City (A), Newcastle (H), West Bromwich Albion (H), Norwich (A).
•  Arsène Wenger’s side have as many points as Liverpool, but the impression is they lack the momentum of Brendan Rodgers’s team. Trips to Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park, and the visit of Manchester City may prove their undoing.

MANCHESTER CITY
Fulham (H), Manchester United (A), Arsenal (A), Southampton (H), Liverpool (A), Sunderland (H), West Brom (H), Palace (A), Everton (A), Aston Villa (H), West Ham (H).
• Everyone’s favourites for the title have games in hand, but not easy ones: two journeys to Merseyside — including their bogey team Everton — plus Arsenal and a Manchester derby. Their scope for dropping points is greater than Chelsea’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom