• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Champions League & Europa League draws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... so we ended up improving our finishing position in both seasons we were in the Europa League in the past 10 years. Go Europa!

It looks like in general, that it doesn't affect the better teams like us, City, Everton, Spurs, and it massively affects the teams that are in on a once off like Newcastle and Portsmouth. It's probably arguable that those teams were on a good streak the season before anyway, and would probably have done worse with or without Europe.

I'd prefer us to be in Europe, and to win as many games as possible. If we do well in Europe, I think we'll do well in the league too.

Wait... so we ended up improving our finishing position in both seasons we were in the Europa League in the past 10 years. Go Europa!
So last season we should have opted out of the CL and entered the EL instead. That guaranteed single position bump would have meant something. This year it means we will finish 5th int he league, but will qualify for the CL the season after.

Yes, very much this.

I get the whole 'we exist to win cups' thing. The European seedings are important too.

More important is getting back into the CL through the league or actually challenging.

That's our bread & butter, not playing 76 gazillion games in far flung Eastern European potato fields to just get to the semi's of a competition. Early exit & concentrate on the league & maybe a nice domestic cup run to get the younger players plenty of real game time should they be needed.

Whilst we are in it I'd like to see the kids played.

With the size of our club, and the size of our squad, it would be quite frankly embarrassing if we were unable to handle playing in Europe as well as playing well in the league, I don't think that's the case anyway thankfully, and the chart above suggests it isn't either. For me, I want to play in this competition, I want to go far in this competition, and I want to win this competition, this isn't some ideological stance, it's just realising that you can't have ambitions of being a Champions League regular if you're scared of the Europa League.

This hoping we'll go out in the group phase is big time bollocks, it's disgusting in fact, Think about what it means, it means those people are hoping we'll lose matches. What twat supports Liverpool and yet wants us to lose ?

Just add that to the fact that we have a large, excellent, squad and we want all of our players to be getting games, being match-fit for when they are required in the PL and hopefully improving their form too. To say nothing of improving our now ridiculously low coefficient and our standing in Europe. Going out at the group stage will obviously increase our attractiveness to quality players won't it.

This hoping we'll go out in the group phase is big time bollocks, it's disgusting in fact, Think about what it means, it means those people are hoping we'll lose matches. What twat supports Liverpool and yet wants us to lose ?

A few names springs to mind

Pot 1 confirmed. Some real heavyweights in there. Chance to avenge the defeat to Basel in last season CL?

Actually wasn't too keen on CL draw, as we're not in it.. just seen the 'confirmation' on BBC sports.

Ergh, really didn't want a long journey. I'd rather harder games in Western Europe.

Edit: Kazan is in the middle of fucking Russia, for fucks sake.

There badge always reminds me of us too.
200px-FC_Rubin_Kazan.png

Rubin Kazan
Liverpool
Bordeaux
TBC

Pot Four: Partizan Belgrade, Asteras Tripolis, Belenenses, Rosenborg, Qarabag, Molde, Dinamo Minsk, Groningen, Sion, FC Midtylland, Skenderbeu Korce, Qabala.

And Sion completes the group. If it wasn't for that cunting 2,300mile journey to Kazan, it would be a great group.

I see we have home Premiership games five out of the six times after we play in the Europa League group games with the exception being the away match against Everton.
That should be a small advantage.

Look, I never watch a match wanting us to get beat. Conversely I don't want us in the Europa League.

I know those two things are exclusive to each other, so it's completely illogical.

Being in the Europa is different to the CL. It seems to take more out of teams. The travelling always seems more intense, perhaps the lack of top teams doesn't get the players pumped? Who knows, but playing Thursday & Sunday seems to be more of an issue than Saturday & wed in the CL.

Regardless though, our side is only arguably equipped to get in the top 4. Not being in Europe could give us chance to consolidate that & do even better.

The CL is worth tired legs & perhaps dropping a few leave points, even if you don't win it progression is massively financially rewarding & adds stature to the club I just don't think the Europa League is unless you win it outright, & even then it pales in comparison to its bigger sibling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom