• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Contract Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
Everyone knows that Mo has eighteen months left on his contract but so does Virgil and Trent.

I assume we all want Trent to renew and I am surprised that he hasn't been signed up already. Is it him or the club that is delaying a new contract?

I imagine that we are happy for Virgil to extend but the length of contract might be a sticking point as he will be almost 34 at the end of his contract. Will that year out through injury give him an extension on his career or is his return to form this season his peak and we can anticipate a drop off in performances in future seasons.

As for Mo I am guessing that we would also like to offer him an extension but he might have his head turned by offers from elsewhere.

This is definitely the time to start the chat but we are short of a Director of Football to take control. Not good!

That’s very concerning from a Trent perspective.

Need it sorted before we win the league this year.
Virgil prob only has one more year or being a complete boss left in him until he becomes just another very good CB.

Obviously, we are in talks with both Trent and Virgil.

Don't think we need a DOF for that!

That’s very concerning from a Trent perspective.

Need it sorted before we win the league this year.
Virgil prob only has one more year or being a complete boss left in him until he becomes just another very good CB.
I'm not sure that's true. When you look at top CBs who've lasted at the top for well into their mid 30's (and even longer, but not at the very top) then Baresi (38), Maldini (41), Cannavaro (37), Nesta (38), Beckenbauer (38) etc. all come to mind, though obviously the Scudetto etc aren't as physically taxing as the PL.

VvD's style hoiwever is more about control than all out pace and power and at a young age he was in less physically exerting leagues and teams (NL & SPL and only 5 games in 20-21) than the PL so not like for example Millie (38) who is a legend having played his whole career in the PL but not just that but he's still a valuable player. Add to that modern medical and training advances and I can't see a player's longevity being negatively affected.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if VvD had another 3-4 years at the top of his game and went on to late 30's at a level above other most other CBs who played on to such an age, such as Evans (35), Campbell (37), Terry (38), Hyypia (36), Vidic, Rio (37) and Adams (36). Note that Thiago Silva is still playing at Chelsea at 39 and Ramos at Sevilla at 37.

At Liverpool Hansen played here until he was 36, Hughes to 37 and Carra to 35.

VvD is 32 years old now and probably still the best CB in the PL and one of the best in the world. Give him a contract to 35/36 because he'll still be valuable until at least that age.

Virgil showed last year without his pace he’s a more mortal than god.
Yet was still a top CB in PL terms even without his mojo/pace. We ended the season with an 11 game unbeaten streak (since losing at City). Clearly this season (and his pace) is back. That's not going to disappear in 12 months.

Yet was still a top CB in PL terms even without his mojo/pace. We ended the season with an 11 game unbeaten streak (since losing at City). Clearly this season (and his pace) is back. That's not going to disappear in 12 months.
No but at 34 in 18 months time it might.

Side note but this is one of the many reasons I’ll always advocate for us getting retrospectively awarded the league titles City have robbed us of should their charges stick.
It’ll be a travesty if Allison and VVD go down as winning 1 maybe 2 titles when they retire when it should be 3 a piece already chasing four.

He’s so big I worry his knee cartilages might be gone earlier than other players, but in terms of style of play he can definitely play for at least another 5 years. If he slows down, fine, we just make sure we have really quick players around him. His presence in the box is so valuable.

I wonder if we'll drag Virgil's out whilst we find replacements because I don't think there is anyway we can truly keep him as a starter in two seasons time, although on reduced wages he would obviously by then be the best back up CB in the league. It would be a bit of a disaster if we put all of our efforts into renewing him versus longer term succession.

I think we extend Salah and Virgil on shorter deals and then get Trent to sign a long term contract.

I would have no qualms with Trent getting a mega contract.. maybe we'd also finally relieve him of the RB ball & chain too

If we sign someone like Frimpong this summer (rumored release clause of 34 mill), then maybe that could happen.

Thiago going in the summer frees up a fair wedge
Hendo, Fabs, Milner, Ox, Kieta, Bobby freed up a serious wedge, as the replacements are on much smaller contracts. We have more than necessary wiggle room already.

With Jurgen going I guess there is no way that Matip gets that contract extension that Klopp wanted him to get.
I wonder if his leaving will have an affect on the other three signing new contracts.
They will at least probably wait until they see who the new guy is which means they will have one year left on their current deals.
Far from ideal.

I'm confident Trent signs on - future club captain and all that. Mo and Van Dijk will both be interesting - dependent on new managers wishes I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom