• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Corruption question: Have we ever..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddapie

I'm currently engaged with a (currently) mate who follows city (and has done for 25+ years, in fairness) about their blatant cheating and why that should render their success meaningless, as it's been more inevitable than impressive, when you don't have to play by the same rules as everybody else...

Anyway, his only retort is the old 'You're cheating too - Everybody is. We're just the only team to get caught' line. Coming from a brilliant lawyer, this shite frustrates me beyond words.

My question is this: We've never been accused of any kind of cheating or corruption, have we? Even back in the 70s and 80s, when we ruled the world..? I'm 99% certain that there's no financial skeletons in our closet, but just want to make sure that I'm not forgetting anything...

I think you'd be super naive if you think any top tier club is not involved in dodgy business.

The issue is where you draw the line, from the challenge around approaches of players, contact with young players families etc.
What is loopholes v just brazenly taking the piss

don't lose your friendship over footy mate - just not worth it but your mate is wrong.
city have clearly done some very dodgy stuff - and if it wasn't for the ineptitude and lack of testicular fortitude of UEFA, they'd have been fucked two years ago already ... we'll see the exact same with the PL, not because they're innocent, but because the guilt would be really bad as it's clear they're not the first to play the games (hi Chelsea!) ... Can't see the PL Juventus'ing them.

We have been busted for some minor stuff, the City log ins, tapping up VVD but I'd say that is run of the mill.

I also reckon doping is widespread, but who knows?

We have been caught in the past and without question we are doing dodgy shit too just not to their scale or with their blatant disregard for the rules.

Pretty much every club in the world will have used agents to get around football laws at some stage, that's par for the course. it saying it's right, but that falls under "everyone does it", although some do it. ore than others. In truth, that will mostly be short-cutting to get somewhere that could have been done by legit means anyway, although there are more serious cases of bungs being paid a la George Graham / Harry Redknapp (allegedly).
We failed FFP a few years back and were investigated by UEFA but no sanctions - I expect because we didn't go out of our way to break the rules, it was more of a "shit happens" failing, and I imagine we showed a commitment to abiding by the rules that stood us in good stead.
So squeaky clean? No.
Guilty of widespread and intentional breach of the rules? No.
A City fan accusing Liverpool of cheating is like Lance Armstrong calling someone out for (literally) cutting a corner.

I echo the final sentence above. Also, the onus is on your mate to back up his claim.

Agreed, mate. He has been thus challenged, believe me. He just keeps coming back with 'well, it's a shite rule anyway...'.

And, yes, I know about the recent VVD nonsense and the logging into city's computer, but I was more talking about financial misdeeds, like those cunts. I must have blocked out our failing FFP back then - I'll have to go and research it.

Agreed, mate. He has been thus challenged, believe me. He just keeps coming back with 'well, it's a shite rule anyway...'.

And, yes, I know about the recent VVD nonsense and the logging into city's computer, but I was more talking about financial misdeeds, like those cunts. I must have blocked out our failing FFP back then - I'll have to go and research it.

Or you could just leave it and just have a small laugh at your mate.

They are cheats, plain and simple, nothing they 'achieve' means anything.
Far cry from us giving a brown envelope to George Graham to push along them signing Jimmy Carter.

This thread gives me an idea: a top 10 corrupt clubs of all time. Not sure I have enough knowledge to rank them myself, but here are a few candidates:

Juventus
Man City
Chelsea
Barca (allegedly buying refs and tapping up players)
Real Madrid (fascist bastards)
United (pressuring refs)
RB Leipzig (pretending they are not part of a conglomerate sponsored by Red Bull)
Spartak Moscow (stole best players from USSR clubs and rigged tons of games)

Any others I forgot? Who should be the top 3?

Last edited:
ALLEGEDLY we once played a match to a draw with Bristol City after we'd won the league that kept them in the top flight. I think Bob Paisley was in charge.

Last edited:
This thread gives me an idea: a top 10 corrupt clubs of all time. Not sure I have enough knowledge to rank them myself, but here are a few candidates:

Juventus
Man City
Chelsea
United (pressuring refs)
RB Leipzig (pretending they are not part of a conglomerate sponsored by Red Bull)

Marsielle

Juventus
Man City
Chelsea
United (pressuring refs)

Harsh on Leipzig to be in that company imo. The rest are scum though, no doubt.

Match fixing & financial irregularities in the 90’s - got relegated and banned from European comps and possibly stripped of sone trophies.

Wow, had no idea. Definitely a worthy addition!

Some Googling on the subject also uncovered BFC Dynamo otherwise known as Dynamo Berlin - the East German team whose president was also the head of Stasi. Apparently they did it all - stealing all the good players from other teams, industrial-scale doping, referees instructed not to whistle offsides against them and a weird one as the only team in East Germany who provided their players access to fruit. I think that takes the (fruit)cake.

Last edited:
FIFA, next to WHO and WEF, are probably the most corrupt organisations in the world.

So of course the game's rampant with unsavoury characters, otherwise you're probably living under a rock.

ALLEGEDLY we once played a match to a draw with Bristol City after we'd won the league that kept them in the top flight. I think Bob Paisley was in charge.
Was it not we rigged a game with man utd back around the the 1920s where players put money on a, game result and players from both sides got banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom