• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it a bit bizzarre that there is such a paranoia regarding this at this point.
The mortality rate for ordinary flu is 0,1 % and for Covid 19 its 0,5 %.
Yet people are overreacting and creating panic.

I find it a bit bizzarre that there is such a paranoia regarding this at this point.
The mortality rate for ordinary flu is 0,1 % and for Covid 19 its 0,5 %.
Yet people are overreacting and creating panic.

The point is as to why I feel that people are not over reacting is that there is a vaccine readily available against the common flu virus, and that the common flu virus is more prevalent so the death rate is higher as more poeple are infected with it....

Where Corid-19 differs is..
a)There is no vaccine, so the potental to speard it is vast

b)The incubation period, the fact that someone could be carring the Virus without any outward signs of infection for as long as two weeks or more while all the time possibly infecting others

c) The more people infected and dying from Covid-19 does not mean that the percent vs Flu; that Flu is a bigger killer. All it means is at present Flu kills more people than Covid-19 does. Covid -19 has the potental to kill more people world wide than the Common Flu Virus, and while we have no vaccine it has the very real potental to mutate into something a lot more deadlier

The point is as to why I feel that people are not over reacting is that there is a vaccine readily available against the common flu virus, and that the common flu virus is more prevalent so the death rate is higher as more poeple are infected with it....

Where Corid-19 differs is..
a)There is no vaccine, so the potental to speard it is vast

b)The incubation period, the fact that someone could be carring the Virus without any outward signs of infection for as long as two weeks or more while all the time possibly infecting others

c) The more people infected and dying from Covid-19 does not mean that the percent vs Flu; that Flu is a bigger killer. All it means is at present Flu kills more people than Covid-19 does. Covid -19 has the potental to kill more people world wide than the Common Flu Virus, and while we have no vaccine it has the very real potental to mutate into something a lot more deadlier
Need to correct some fallacies here.

a) The normal flu vaccine isn't available/affordable worldwide and even in most 1st world countries most people don't have flu jabs. It's normally for the more at risk. Nor is it a guarantee you won't catch it, it just reduces the chances you might. So not a panacea then, which is why up to ½ million die globally from the 'standard flu strain' annually.

The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths.

b) That's correct. In fact the longest recorded incubation period has been either 24 or 29 days depending on which report you read/believe. Though how they can establish that with any form of certainty (the day of actual infection) would be interesting to hear.

c) C-19 has not yet mutated at all. Though all corona-viruses can and do it doesn't mean they will be become stronger, it can also lead to less 'effective' strains (against humans). The likely true mortality rate of the current strain is in actuality likely well under 1% since records of infected/deaths can not be used to calculate the true figure (because it's estimated around 85% of people catching C-19 have mild to zero symptoms and so never make it onto the official figures.

Excellent statistics collated for/by the BBC and on the chance of death if contracted, here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

c) C-19 has not yet mutated at all. Though all corona-viruses can and do it doesn't mean they will be become stronger, it can also lead to less 'effective' strains (against humans). The likely true mortality rate of the current strain is in actuality likely well under 1% since records of infected/deaths can not be used to calculate the true figure (because it's estimated around 85% of people catching C-19 have mild to zero symptoms and so never make it onto the official figures.

Unless I misunderstand what "evolutionary tree" means, it looks like it has mutated at least to some degree:

Last edited:
Unless I misunderstand what "evolutionary tree" means, it looks like it has mutated at least to some degree:

Very interesting! I'm not going to pretend I have an in depth understanding of genetics beyond Biology A levels !

Though if I understand that correctly, and there's a strong possibility I haven't, then the genetic mutation is as low as 0.0005 substitutions per cell site per year (from here :https://nextstrain.org/ncov?f_division=Washington), basically what one would expect to be similar to mutations found in any coronavirus such as common flu, and not something that is unexpected or dangerous ?

BTW for my information I was using the live broadcast from WHO a couple of days ago, which said no mutations, but that seems to be a vague term in how it is being applied.

From the WHO statement one can then assume any mutation is either a Neutral or Silent mutation which (according to Wiki) are mutations in DNA that do not have an observable effect on the organism's phenotype.

Last edited:
As an 'old'/'boomer', I never saw any benefit in Facebook.

I have a landline phone, what more could I possibly need ? :)
Speaking of which I was in a neighbors house yesterday and spotted an old black Bakelite rotary dial phone gathering dust in a corner. He said it was the original phone Telecom Eireann gave when his dad first got connected in 1972 and was the first one in the village. He remembered calling his dad on it from a payphone in town when he got his leaving exam results

Need to correct some fallacies here.

a) The normal flu vaccine isn't available/affordable worldwide and even in most 1st world countries most people don't have flu jabs. It's normally for the more at risk. Nor is it a guarantee you won't catch it, it just reduces the chances you might. So not a panacea then, which is why up to ½ million die globally from the 'standard flu strain' annually.

The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths.

b) That's correct. In fact the longest recorded incubation period has been either 24 or 29 days depending on which report you read/believe. Though how they can establish that with any form of certainty (the day of actual infection) would be interesting to hear.

Excellent statistics collated for/by the BBC and on the chance of death if contracted, here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

Thank you

Speaking of which I was in a neighbors house yesterday and spotted an old black Bakelite rotary dial phone gathering dust in a corner. He said it was the original phone Telecom Eireann gave when his dad first got connected in 1972 and was the first one in the village. He remembered calling his dad on it from a payphone in town when he got his leaving exam results
They could have enormous potential in reducing spam calls ! Can't see those "Your Windows system has reported an error" cunts spending their time rotary dialling ! :)

Here we go... I wonder if Bournemouth will be our last match in front of the Anfield crowd this season.

All Serie A games will be played behind closed doors until 3rd April.
Even Atalanta and Inter's Champions League too.

We better wrap the fucking league up sharpish before this fucker spreads further.

Wonder if the FA and EPL will go down the same route as the Italians

I fully expect our title parade to be cancelled/delayed cos they'll ban large gatherings between now & May.

The French have done it already.

As an aside, there's the festivals & gigs. Sadly if they do end up doing it I think it'll put a lot of smaller promoters out of business.

I fully expect our title parade to be cancelled/delayed cos they'll ban large gatherings between now & May.

The French have done it already.

As an aside, there's the festivals & gigs. Sadly if they do end up doing it I think it'll put a lot of smaller promoters out of business.
Two possible options though : Most flu epidemics die off in Spring (except for MERS which was the most deadly and a Summer virus) so by May Covid-19 could be just a bad memory or the parade could be postponed until the beginning of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom