• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Davis Cup - Israel/Sweden

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
What are people's thoughts here?

Due to the large Muslim population of Malmo, the organizers decided to play to an empty stadium (300 'special guests' were allowed, I'm assuming officials and family members, friends etc) in order to ensure the safety of the Israeli players.

Despite 'promises' of a quiet protest, there was violence:

About 100 people were apprehended and at least six were formally arrested for rioting, Malmo police spokeswoman Ewa Westford said. There were no reports of injuries.

The activists hurled rocks and firecrackers at police vans as they tried to break through the barricades set up to keep protesters from the arena. Hundreds of riot police pushed them back using truncheons.

Thankfully, nothing as serious as what happened in Pakistan, but is this acceptable one way or another? Has sports now become a valid arena to disrupt for political purposes? Will people angry at the US or England for what happened in Iraq etc threaten this kind of action? I expected this kind of stuff in Turkey (where fans rioted onto the basketball court of a game between Israeli & Turkish club teams) but in a country like Sweden?

(As for the 'practice match' results so far, Sweden leads the best of 5, 2-1)

A peaceful protest would have been acceptable, whether or not one personally agrees with it, but this isn't.

Can't speak from personal experience of Sweden, but the impression one gets from the papers is that it's the epicentre of PC-ness. It isn't such a big step from that to excesses like these.

Wasn't there an Israeli tennis player denied entry to Dubai to play in a tournament a while back ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31822.msg819326#msg819326 date=1236520183]
Wasn't there an Israeli tennis player denied entry to Dubai to play in a tournament a while back ?
[/quote]

Yah, they wouldn't let Shachar Pe'er into the tournament. Venus Williams said she'd boycott the tourney next year (she won it this year) & they lost a lot of sponsors

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=31822.msg819340#msg819340 date=1236522455]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31822.msg819326#msg819326 date=1236520183]
[/quote]

Yah, they wouldn't let Shachar Pe'er into the tournament. Venus Williams said she'd boycott the tourney next year (she won it this year) & they lost a lot of sponsors
[/quote]

I think Andy Roddick boycotted this year's tournament
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3928844

Now this: Dubai denies ICC Israel rep entrance for global conference
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3682784,00.html

Get ready, LTW. If DAC buys LFC, we probably won't be allowed into Anfield...

BTW, the Davis cup tie is now tied at 2:2 after Dudi Sela beats Yohansson.
If Harel Levi can beat their #2 and win the tie for us, it will be our best response.

BTW, we do have some Swedeish posters here. Would like to hear what they think sbout this issue.

[quote author=jimmy link=topic=31822.msg819390#msg819390 date=1236525168]
[/quote]

At least Brendan won't have to worry about Yossi anymore ..... 🙂

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=31822.msg819397#msg819397 date=1236525597]
[quote author=jimmy link=topic=31822.msg819390#msg819390 date=1236525168]
[/quote]

At least Brendan won't have to worry about Yossi anymore ..... 🙂
[/quote]

And that's when he started softening towards the lad...

[quote author=jimmy link=topic=31822.msg819405#msg819405 date=1236527204]
Which stuff are you referring to, Ross? The Malmo stuff or the Dubai stuff or both?
[/quote]

Both.

The Dubai stuff isn't surprising is it ? But having to close the doors to a tournament because of a bunch of religious nutters that you've allowed to settle in your country is a disgrace.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31822.msg819412#msg819412 date=1236528068]
Which stuff are you referring to, Ross? The Malmo stuff or the Dubai stuff or both?
[/quote]

Both.

The Dubai stuff isn't surprising is it ? But having to close the doors to a tournament because of a bunch of religious nutters that you've allowed to settle in your country is a disgrace.
[/quote]

The Swedish policemen really looked miserable.

As for the Dubai thing - I don't think I want DAC to buy LFC.

Having a read a few of the links on a google search of Malmo + Muslim, it doesn't make for pretty reading. It's the only city in Scandinavia that has a Muslim majority and it seems to be plagued with problems.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31822.msg819415#msg819415 date=1236528268]
Having a read a few of the links on a google search of Malmo + Muslim, it doesn't make for pretty reading. It's the only city in Scandinavia that has a Muslim majority and it seems to be plagued with problems.
[/quote]

Majority? I read they were about 1/3 of the population.

Sorry I misread that, it's expected to have a Muslim majority in about 10 years time.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31822.msg819412#msg819412 date=1236528068]
[/quote]

Both.

[/quote]

it's not really 'religious nutters' though Ross - that's the problem. Swedish politicians were even involved in the protests ...

It's both though, Wizzy. On their own those politicians wouldn't have been demonstrating violently in the streets.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=31822.msg819480#msg819480 date=1236540208]
Israel defeats Sweden 3-2 to advance to Davis Cup tennis quarter-finals

Take your hot blonde women, and your lovely scenery and ........
[/quote]

Can I have them? (the hot blondes...) 😉

Great win! They did the violent and the political talk we won the sports contests.

Back
Top Bottom