• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Pistolero

Active
Seems we will be making a move for him. So is he the type of player we should be going for, I ain't seen much of him this season hows he been doing?

I thought this but he only has one less assist than young, could be a good squad player depending if this is what he's being bought for.

He's a decent footballer and he has had a good year, but we really should be looking for better.

Villa's about his level.

I appreciate all the info buddy.
I just wish you had better news to dispense sometimes 🙁

Everybody agrees that we need width, but there aren't many good wide players around. I don't think we should be too picky - Downing has been on good form this season and I am sure he would be a valuable addition to the squad.

No no no no no no no no.

He's fucking average, scores a goal every 8 games or something like that, and predominantly plays on the right wing where we have Kuyt anyway - who's 700 times the player.

We need to stop filling the squad with average dross like him, Maxi, Riera, Jovanovic, Cole, Poulsen, etc etc and start to add some quality.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=44931.msg1314595#msg1314595 date=1302653226]
Everybody agrees that we need width, but there aren't many good wide players around. I don't think we should be too picky - Downing has been on good form this season and I am sure he would be a valuable addition to the squad.
[/quote]

A couple years ago it did seem as though there was a lack of up and coming wide players to choose from. There seem to be more options now however.

As for being picky, we absolutely should be. Our options for the left flank are practically non-existent so anybody half decent would represent an improvement, a valuable addition with this in mind.

We should be aspiring to the level of quality Suarez has. Now sure, not every signing we make is going to be that good, but for the 15M+ it'll cost us Downing, I'd expect to see at least the potential to reach that level.

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=44931.msg1314603#msg1314603 date=1302654170]
i'd take it for under £10M
[/quote]

Why, so we can fiil the squad with more middle-of-the-road junk?

Get the fuck out of here!
Downing?
Really?

As a squad player, yes.
As a starter, hell no.

I shouldn't be surprised, I knew that Sanchez/Hazard/Young was probably wishful thinking.

I'd have him as a squad player, at the right price. He's better than alot of people give him credit for, but I'd hope we'd also be signing a quick attacker/wide player too.

Snodgrass, Downing, Brunt, Bentley etc and all other slow wide men can all fuck off.

I've always liked Downing, and can't really understand why he gets so much stick on here or why people don't rate him.

He's got decent pace, a great cross and chips in with assists and goals.
I know Kenny rates him, and if he feels that he's the kind of player we need to get the balance right in the team then thats ok with me.

He's not as mediocre as people want him to be, and has been Villas best player in nearly every match I've seen this year.

What is his crossing like ?

The only possible argument for signing him is that he'll be willing to play a role and just get the ball into the box for Carroll as much as possible when he plays.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=44931.msg1314650#msg1314650 date=1302678053]
What is his crossing like ?

The only possible argument for signing him is that he'll be willing to play a role and just get the ball into the box for Carroll as much as possible when he plays.
[/quote]

His crossing can be excellent Ross, you could see why we would go for him, but I'd only be happy if we were signing 'another'.

Marveaux is the other, if there is another.

It would make little or no sense to buy Downing, who will probably cost 12m+ and 80k+ a week, and then keep him as second choice.

If he's being signed it has to be as an immediate starter and I don't know whether he's good enough for that - and if he is good enough now I don't think he will be good enough in two years time anyway.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=44931.msg1314653#msg1314653 date=1302678332]
Marveaux is the other, if there is another.

It would make little or no sense to buy Downing, who will probably cost 12m+ and 80k+ a week, and then keep him as second choice.

If he's being signed it has to be as an immediate starter and I don't know whether he's good enough for that - and if he is good enough now I don't think he will be good enough in two years time anyway.
[/quote]

Hmmm... Marveaux is a bit more versatile though and can play central, he's also struggled with injury. So maybe it's him and Downing for the left (with Marv offering a few options) and someone else for the right, so you then have Kuyt as an option in various roles too.

If it is as a squad option, and he's cheap and we buy some quality beforehand then I think I'd be ok with this.

We're not exactly blessed with options and people get injured, so . . .

Hopefully this indicates we've got enough money to improve the first team and the squad

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=44931.msg1314656#msg1314656 date=1302678749]
If it is as a squad option, and he's cheap and we buy some quality beforehand then I think I'd be ok with this.

Hopefully this indicates we've got enough money to improve the first team and the squad
[/quote]

Unless it means we can't afford who we want ?

Well, it entirely depends on whether he's seen as first team or squad.

If it's first team, then nononononoooo

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=44931.msg1314657#msg1314657 date=1302678827]
[quote author=singlerider link=topic=44931.msg1314656#msg1314656 date=1302678749]

[/quote]

Unless it means we can't afford who we want ?
[/quote]

Sooo cynical.. If that were the case I doubt he'd be the option, we'd probably go for a quicker player around the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom