• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Euro 2016 Squads being announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The England defence and midfield probably isnt good enough to go very far in this tournament.
Wont be a problem scoring goals but its the keeping them out part that will be the big challenge.

Bit of weird 23 man squad aswell. 5 strikers, 3 CBs and no real wingers.
And I'd rather have someone like Carroll to put on in the last 5 mins if you're chasing a goal then an inexperienced Rashford.
It's like a really uninspiring version of our 2014 team.

England's squad is full of good players. It always is.

But when has that ever been enough? You usually need to have one or two who are world class - or performing at that level - and a team that has a clear and effective tactical set-up. And a massive amount of luck.

All too often we see an England team with players in slightly different roles to the ones they are used to, poorly drilled and susceptible to genuine quality from an individual or tactical perspective.

There's a lack of bravery and conviction on a very regular basis. Be that Wilshere shoe-horned into a DM role, Vardy on the wing, or Rooney squeezed in wherever, we have a collection of good players, but in some cases we have too many, and try and fit them all in. And in some areas, "good" isn't good enough. Yes, Rooney is a very good player, but he's only really elevated himself to the level required to actually win an international maybe once, and then got injured.

So we always have "a chance", because we always have a squad with good players in it. But that's never been enough.

It would be handy if Roy wasn't still deciding on the team. I may be making a ridiculous presumption here but I think that for the majority of teams who have won the Euros or the World Cup in the past, they'd have had a fairly settled formation and team (bar one or two players) in the run up to the tournament, whereas for England Roy still seems to be figuring things out - Vardy has only really played in friendlies, Rooney's position still hasn't been decided, I don't think he's made his mind up on full backs or how the midfield will look. We seem to do this every time.

It would be handy if Roy wasn't still deciding on the team. I may be making a ridiculous presumption here but I think that for the majority of teams who have won the Euros or the World Cup in the past, they'd have had a fairly settled formation and team (bar one or two players) in the run up to the tournament, whereas for England Roy still seems to be figuring things out - Vardy has only really played in friendlies, Rooney's position still hasn't been decided, I don't think he's made his mind up on full backs or how the midfield will look. We seem to do this every time.
If only he had two years and gods know how many pointless friendlies to resolve this issue.

Hodgson can hardly have planned for the emergence of players like Vardy, Dier, Rashford and Delle Ali two years ago.

He's got one of the youngest squads in the Euros (Not that I give a shit about that, or think it's laudable or interesting or relevant) and he has picked a 23 that most people approve of; there's been no really weird, controversial or glaring omissions (or inclusions), bar the usual argument of certain 'favoured' players being a certainty despite lack of form/ fitness/ whatever (Henderson, Sturridge, Wilshere, Rooney)

But he should certainly have a fixed idea of what formation and tactics he wants to employ, and have the correct personnel to make it work

That's what the problem could well be. Because it usually is.

Hodgson can hardly have planned for the emergence of players like Vardy, Dier, Rashford and Delle Ali two years ago.

He's got one of the youngest squads in the Euros (Not that I give a shit about that, or think it's laudable or interesting or relevant) and he has picked a 23 that most people approve of; there's been no really weird, controversial or glaring omissions (or inclusions), bar the usual argument of certain 'favoured' players being a certainty despite lack of form/ fitness/ whatever (Henderson, Sturridge, Wilshere, Rooney)

But he should certainly have a fixed idea of what formation and tactics he wants to employ, and have the correct personnel to make it work

That's what the problem could well be. Because it usually is.

That's the thing, his tactics and formations are thought up not for strategic reasons, but for how best to fit all of his favoured players into a starting eleven. When new players emerge, he has to rethink his formation. It's in a continual state of vacuous flux. England should have fired him at the end of the season and tried to get Benitez or Mourinho.

That's the thing, his tactics and formations are thought up not for strategic reasons, but for how best to fit all of his favoured players into a starting eleven. When new players emerge, he has to rethink his formation. It's in a continual state of vacuous flux. England should have fired him at the end of the season and tried to get Benitez or Mourinho.

That's what managers ought to do though, whoever they're in charge of. I don't agree that managers should have fixed ideas about formation and strategy - they should have *clear* ideas, but those ideas should be shaped around who's available and in form. The problem with Hodgson isn't that he rethinks things, it's the exact opposite: he sticks like glue to his favourites, hence also to his pet ideas about strategy, as per that notorious statement of his about his ideas translating easily between such big name clubs as Orebro and Xamax.

That's what managers ought to do though, whoever they're in charge of. I don't agree that managers should have fixed ideas about formation and strategy - they should have *clear* ideas, but those ideas should be shaped around who's available and in form. The problem with Hodgson isn't that he rethinks things, it's the exact opposite: he sticks like glue to his favourites, hence also to his pet ideas about strategy, as per that notorious statement of his about his ideas translating easily between such big name clubs as Orebro and Xamax.

I don't agree. With us he stuck like glue to his ideas game after game, which is stupid when you have the players week after week to coach some flexibility into them. For internationals and tournaments, you don't have the luxury and have to stick to a fixed system to succeed. So of course, Hodgson has suddenly become flexible now, when it's the wrong thing to do.

Let's agree to differ then. I don't see that sticking to a fixed system makes any more sense in international football - you're still shoehorning players into roles which may or may not suit their game, and you've got even less time to try and make it work.

Fair enough. What I see is when you change the formation to suit one new player, the other ten players have to make different runs, different passes, and cover different positions than the old system. They might only be subtle differences, but to make the formation work cohesively they have to do it. At club level, you can drill that into them, over years if necessary. Then chop and change your tactics week to week knowing the players will follow suit.

For England, you can't suddenly play a diamond to suit Rooney, and then hope that the other ten players somehow fall into line. They won't work like a fluid team anymore, and you get the boring, ugly disjointed perfomances that England have churned out for the last couple of decades. It's much better to have a fixed system that suits English players in general, then at least everyone has a chance to get used it over a two year qualification campaign.

England's tactics are literally we have no idea what the fuck we're doing, we'll end up continually losing possession because the other team are ready for us, so then we all have to put in a shift and work hard to keep a clean sheet, then we'll get a draw if it's a group game, or get knocked out on penalties if it's not.

Does anyone else feel that we might just fcuk it and go gung ho this year? Literally no cover at the back and more strikers than we can shake a stick at. I think Roy knows it's his last tournament, so is just going for it. At least we stand a chance of losing in style!

A reverse 1234 formation.. I like your thinking @RedRedRed..

Oh wait. No. The old scroat with play ultra defensive.

I think that would be awesome... at least we would score a shit load of goals even if we let loads in. Besides I get a tenner cashback for every goal England score on my new telly I bought from Currys, so every cloud and all that!

I hate Roy Hodgson and ive hated him being in charge of England almost as much as I did when he was in charge of Liverpool.
But I do think he might actually be a little surprising and more adventurous this time because the FA have made that statement about the semi finals, thats a direct message to Roy.
I think he might go for it.
We wont be good enough to win it, but I actually think we might be really fun to watch.
The friendly against Germany was ace.

If we could get one good quarter or semi final game against Germany, France or Spain and it's a nail biter that would set me for the summer.. good entertainment and I know we won't win it so best I can hope for.

England's defence is shit (as are most of the defenders he's picked) and very few teams have achieved anything in International football without a good defence. They've looked vulnerable against Australia and Turkey recently who are hardly world beaters so It could be embarrassing when we play a decent team in a competitive match.

We might well score a few goals along the way but I can see Owl face scratching his head at us getting caught on the break time after time without having the slightest clue as to why it's happened.

I'm telling y'all. Kane's gonna have one heck of a summer this year. I just read the BBC article 'bout him and I'm sold.

The BBC's discussing Vardy??? In spite of other places discussing him? That's not distinctive, and I'm going to tell John Whittingdale (as soon as the floppy-haired moron emerges from his next session with Ms Whiplash).

Good of you to go easy on him then. ;)
I do have an entirely rational hatred of him JJ. It's made a million times worse by my Spurs supporting friends lauding everything the jumped up prick does.

And his fake humility in interviews winds me up no end. I remember one early interview when in response to a completely unrelated question he answered something like..."I wouldn't want to be compared to Alan Shearer as I've not got anywhere near his record yet. But I can see why some people want to compare me to him".

Wow. Hadn't realised he'd said that. Do you think he's actually that full of himself, or is he simply too dense to realise how swell-headed that sounds?

Wow. Hadn't realised he'd said that. Do you think he's actually that full of himself, or is he simply too dense to realise how swell-headed that sounds?
The former. Just look at that pride of lions tweet (they then won one game in 6 - ha!) He's always talking about himself in interviews in a mock-humble tone. I'd love to see him have a stinker at the Euros and get dropped.

England squad looks stupidly lopsided.

Fuck DM's, one winger, Fuck all cover for CB and 5 strikers!!

They should never have brought Vardy and Rashford, pointless.

And not bringing Drinkwater is a terrible call.

How the hell can Roy on one hand say he didn't consider Walcott as he hadn't played enough this season and then take Wilshire?

They'll get out of the group as only a handful of teams are going home early but can't see them getting past 4-8 of the better sides.

Last edited:
Rooney and Wilshire will see lots of game time. Rashford will be brought on as a supersub albeit on the wings. Sturridge will struggle to complete a game. Each will have a spark which the media will catch on to justify their inclusion.

The defense will be surprisingly solid and that will lead England to the 2nd or quarter finals. The media would have seen enough to drum optimism of going all the way. Spurs players will carry on their end of season form and be shit. Our players wouldn't see much game time.

England will be well beaten in the second or quarter finals. Roy will be rated meh but keeps his job.

Crystal ball stuff this.

Dreamy, Mystic, Hansern all being pessimistic about England means they'll at least get to the Semi finals

Dreamy, Mystic, Hansern all being pessimistic about England means they'll at least get to the Semi finals
Ha, you're probably right, I'd be quite optimistic if it wasn't for Roy, however when you know he's going to shoe horn both Rooney and Wilshere into the squad against form and sense, it's hard to get excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom