• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the whole thing is not going ahead, I don't think the PL could deduct points or impose fines or other sanctions as no rules have actually been broken.
If there had been a rule breach then fines, behind closed doors sanctions (moot point) or points deduction would be in the power of the disciplinary committee but expulsion from the league would not be - the committee can recommend expulsion but it would still be subject to a vote, with 15 votes required. Even if they deducted all of the 6's points, they still couldn't relegate them all as there's no mechanism for more than 3 to go down.
If there is to be any form of sanction, it would have to come from UEFA / FIFA or from government. The Premier League's hands are tied.

The various legal threats were never going to stick in the moment. No rules had been broken for the current competitions. The PL would collapse without the global TV revenue that would have suffered.

The threats to ban on the players for World Cup was never going to stick. This Sunday league player could play in the World Cup if Southgate wanted me to. You can punish an employee for working for an employer with a fair and legal contract. When we all wanted City punished, rightly, for breaking the rules, it was city that was supposed to be punished, not the players. We never said Sterling should be banned from the England team.

That was all huffing and puffing.

The reason this failed was for non-legal reasons. Football does not exist with players, supporters and managers, all of whom were united in making clear that they did not want any part of this.

WOW; English football fans run riot over Europe, invade the terraces of the moral high ground and no smashed glass, no burned out cars/bars/cafes or looted shops ...not even a drop of blood to be found. No fans arrested/deported and no national shame. How times have changed. WELL DONE LADS & LASSES.

Last edited:
Project big picture, I felt was correct and fair.

The premier League would not be the premier League without the big six..

Burnley, Fulham etc are essentially being bankrolled by the vast overseas support that clubs like Liverpool, UTD, Arsenal and Chelsea have, and have the same say in votes..

How is this even right ?

These clubs are stifling the evolution of the premier League.. They are small fish in a big pond, believing they are part of the elite spending big but thinking like small clubs

With the current situation the gap between the championship and the PL is only going to get bigger and bigger.. This is causing extreme financial problems for the EFL as a result particularly in the championship as clubs get silly trying to reach the promised land or in most cases collapse after being relegated, failing to get back to the promised land

Sadly the PR around Project Big Picture was a complete disaster..

What's needed. ? I've no idea.. but the game need a massive shake up either way
How is it right? Because they are in the same division as Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal. The difference is resources and using these resources to gain success is what built the large levels of overseas support. Chelsea got lucky a billionaire decided to bail them out, Man United were good just as money was exploding in football, in the late 90s and early 2000s they were out spending everyone. It isn't the small clubs stifling the evolution of the Premier League, it's the big ones.

if FIFA or UEFA have any brains, they'll figure out how to start fixing the issues they've also created.
Otherwise, this will come back.
Said exactly that to my father today. This is merely a cessation of hostilities, they'll be back.

If you believe the media reports, whilst Real and Juve were ever willing to sign up and be the mouth pieces for the failed venture. The driving forces behind it were the American owners.

Probably convenient narrative, however the Athletic are also heavily pumping that narrative from all their reporters.
Oh I've no doubt at all that the American owners loved the idea and were all on board. But Perez has been driving this for many years.

All the clubs involved, including us should get a multi-year ban from Europe. Honestly wouldn't argue against relegation for all.

Utter disgrace to go forward with this and somehow even more disgraceful to pull the plug in less than 72 hours. Fucking planks.

Seriously ? What happened to freedom of ... well everything. These clubs are all huge multinational businesses, are you now suggesting that they are no longer permitted to make business decisions that are not criminal or illegal, and then punish them for it? Even if we disagree with said decision?

Morally there are issues, and there would have been massive repercussions (and endless court battles), and even more so with the structure of the proposed ESL (let's not even start on UEFA though, convicted criminals that are rotten to the core) however it is within their legal rights to make it.

I do agree it was a disgrace the way it totally collapsed, how on earth can you plan something like that without foreseeing and having crisis planning in place is beyond me.

Last edited:
In all seriousness. As much good as FSG has done for this club, and make no mistake, without them there probably wouldn't have been a #19. They just see this as a business. They aren't in it for the love of the game.

They will always make mistakes like this. Always.
Football at PL level is big business and always will be. It comes as no surprise that corporate owners would try to enhance the club's (and their) financial status above everything else.

As for those calling for FSG to leave, what the hell are you smoking?! They did this to make more money, you think they are now going to sell at a huge loss?! As if.

Last edited:
League competitiveness is not the only measure, though.

• Germans tickets price are 50% of the Premier League.
  • Top german clubs had no intention of joining the Super League.
  • Fans have great say and control in the running of their game
  • They have higher average attendance figures than the PL, whilst every game is broadcast live on domestic TV.
  • The league clubs have significantly lower debt than European clubs.

The league lacks global appeal, but it does put the rights of local fans first and isn't attempting to be a global powerhouse.

I know what I'd rather have.
League competitiveness is not the only measure, though.

• Germans tickets price are 50% of the Premier League.
  • Top german clubs had no intention of joining the Super League.
  • Fans have great say and control in the running of their game
  • They have higher average attendance figures than the PL, whilst every game is broadcast live on domestic TV.
  • The league clubs have significantly lower debt than European clubs.

The league lacks global appeal, but it does put the rights of local fans first and isn't attempting to be a global powerhouse.

I know what I'd rather have.
Virtually total domination by one club ? There is a lot right about the German club structure but it's hardly a compelling or interesting league with all the power and all the best players destined to be at one club.

The format of the proposed ESL may have been all wrong but I'm not sure the concept in theory is. It's being conveniently forgotten that they claimed there would be trickle down payments 3-4 times those currently paid to other clubs. And at the end of the day UEFA desperately need to have their power curtailed with major decisions that affect the clubs brought back under their control.

The German game is so unbalanced its untrue

Despite fan have a share of the pie..

Bayern win the title almost every year.. anyone who wins over them.. They just go out and buy their best players.

If you can't beat them.. buy their best players

Fan ownership is not the complete answer

Salary Caps and proper FFP should applied right across the footballing spectrum

Bingo. Bayern and PSG did not join the ESL as they are already in a Super League with one member in their respective countries. Guaranteed league title and CL participation in the current setup. Why would they want to disrupt that?

Seriously ? What happened to freedom of ... well everything. These clubs are all huge multinational businesses, are you now suggesting that they are no longer permitted to make business decisions that are not criminal or illegal, and then punish them for it? Even if we disagree with said decision?

Morally there are issues, and there would have been massive repercussions (and endless court battles), and even more so with the structure of the proposed ESL (let's not even start on UEFA though, convicted criminals that are rotten to the core) however it is within their legal rights to make it.

I do agree it was a disgrace the way it totally collapsed, how on earth can you plan something like that without foreseeing and having crisis planning in place is beyond me.

The one thing you're not really acknowledging Froggy is sportsmanship, which is one of the fundamentals of the game. Freedom of corporate business in football must have moral obligations to the principles of the sport, otherwise it really is dead and buried.

Football at PL level is big business and always will be. It comes as no surprise that corporate owners would try to enhance the club's (and their) financial status above everything else.

As for those calling for FSG to leave, what the hell are you smoking?! They did this to make more money, you think they are now going to sell at a huge loss?! As if.

When we were being sold at 200-250 million, the only people who showed somewhat interest were the bankrupt DIC and G&H. The next time through the courts I think it was Peter Lim (who later took on Valencia and is a horrible owner - another G&H) and FSG. Now that we are valued at 1 billion, why would there be a host of "decent" owners ready to throw in their money. The only two options would be some other nation-state owner with money to burn or some random investment vehicle hedge fund who may very likely invest with no due diligence (like G and H).

Even after this latest gaffe, I would prefer FSG to all those alternatives. FSG has made several mistakes. But it is not like we have a benevolent multi-billionaire willing to throw 1.5 billion, and who will agree to 51% fan ownership and willing to take flak every other transfer window if they did not invest their own money to fund transfers waiting in the wing.

John Henry appears to be very good at analyzing data, identifying issues, and finding revenue sources. No wonder he is so successful in the markets. But European football is a different snake pit. He definitely needs to get a PR team or at least a sounding board of folks like King Kenny or Hansen. How these things are sold matters? He made the incredibly corrupt UEFA and PSG look like custodians of football. Losing a PR war to them is downright embarrassing.

The one thing you're not really acknowledging Froggy is sportsmanship, which is one of the fundamentals of the game. Freedom of corporate business in football must have moral obligations to the principles of the sport, otherwise it really is dead and buried.
Honestly mate I think that's where we at (bar the odd token gesture). Big Business has taken over the game, there is just too much money in it now for it to be anything but. It's why so many fans are distressed. The game we knew, loved and grew up with, is long dead. RIP.

Honestly mate I think that's where we at (bar the odd token gesture). Big Business has taken over the game, there is just too much money in it now for it to be anything but. It's why so many fans are distressed. The game we knew, loved and grew up with, is long dead. RIP.

Ha. Let us be honest, mate. I think most fans are distressed because they and their clubs are on the wrong side of the financial divide. Not because of the lack of equity :)

I noticed AC Milan ultras have released a passionate statement. I was wondering if they were upset when Berlusconi, the Bunga Bunga parties and political contacts and associated money supported the purchase of Van Basten, Rijkard, Gullit? They were the original "state funded" club. Did they constantly protest against the commercialization of football then?

Last edited:
Speaking as an American, our owners are a fucking disgusting disgrace.

Selfishly, I would love to see my team come to my country and play meaningful games, but I would rather hang myself from the rafters than sit in the fucking Rose Bowl in Pasadena California surrounding by plastic yanks who don't know the words to You'll Never Walk Alone let alone Scouser Tommy or some shit. We are not Chelsea and we're not an NFL team so I don't want to see the rich morons in Malibu replacing Scousers at a FUCKING LIVERPOOL HOME GAME.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was watching Liverpool in Anfield and singing with true fans. FSG would take that away in a second to please the billionaires who I can speak from first hand personal experience, are all human shit.

I'm not saying FSG out right now but the staff furlough stuff and this and so many other things have me concerned.

Meanwhile ...
eca20d8d492e31192ea8264e0806c606.jpg

Last edited:
Rangers and Celtic 'targeted' in shock British Premier league plans

[article]The Old Firm could be invited to a reformed Premier League set-up being led by the ‘Big Six’, according to reports – and the plans could be ratified by UEFA, FIFA and the UK Government who were vehemently against the ESL plans which fell earlier this week.

As well as the new entries, the plans could also explore end of season play-offs and are seeking a smaller top flight, reduced to 18 teams.

Changes to the Premier League in England have been topical long before this week’s European plans provoked ire across the continent and mass withdrawal on Wednesday of the 12 clubs involved in the proposal. Manchester United and Liverpool were amongst those involved in the ‘Project Big Picture’ think-tank looking at changes to the football system in England.

That has led to the possibility of an invite being extended to the Old Firm – a divisive subject frequently revisited, but one which Celtic supremo Dermot Desmond has suggested in the past.

Last autumn the major shareholder at Parkhead predicted a cross-border league would likely surface after a possible Atlantic League was again raised by Irish sports investor Andrew Doyle – but Celtic pulled out.

A cross-border league talking point is not limited to the British Isles either. In March, Belgium’s Jupiler League voted to explore a merger with the Dutch Eredivisie across both countries’ top flights.[/article]

Why is it that the people in charge of both UEFA and the PL are such mongs. Van Bastens idea of having no offside, Perez Super League, Wenger with his awful ideas and npw UEFA with the new CL format. Its like not one of them have actually thought about something that would make the game better.

The PSG president got voted as the new ECA top honcho, so he now is best buddies with Ceferin at UEFA and top of the ECA.
Awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom