• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
I was just thinking whether Mkhitaryan would consider putting his nickname ("Heno") on his shirt if he signs, and I just realized that while many players choose a nickname or a shortened name to put on their shirt, a vast majority of them come from Latin America or Spain. Can you name some players (non-Spanish or Portuguese speaking) who used a nickname or a shortened name on their shirt?

I was just thinking whether Mkhitaryan would consider putting his nickname ("Heno") on his shirt if he signs, and I just realized that while many players choose a nickname or a shortened name to put on their shirt, a vast majority of them come from Latin America or Spain. Can you name some players (non-Spanish or Portuguese speaking) who used a nickname or a shortened name on their shirt?

David Fairclough and Steve Heighway, wanted their names abbreviated on their shirts, but then they were told "this is the 70's, there's no names on shirts". (it sounded funnier before I wrote this)

Got absolutely nothing to do with anything, but... A chance to reiterate Kiki Musampa's nickname one more time; Kris.

Complete gold.

When Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink came to Leeds United, he wanted to have "Jimmy" on the back of his shirt, but was told by the FA that nicknames weren't allowed and spent his LUFC career with "Hasselbaink" on his back. I see all sorts of nicknames now, so I guess that rule must have gone out of the window.

Andreas Neuendorf from Hertha BSC had 'Zecke' as his nickname.

'Zecke' means 'tick' and he got it from teammate Ulf Kirsten because he got bitten once by a tick and had to stay in hospital because of that.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom