• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=44179.msg1361688#msg1361688 date=1310081299]
Why can't he retire gracefully?
regards
[/quote]

Why should he? I'd love to play in Thailand. It's a beautiful country, great weather and you get by speaking English. It's a like a year long vacation for the family.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=44179.msg1361694#msg1361694 date=1310081592]
[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=44179.msg1361688#msg1361688 date=1310081299]
Why can't he retire gracefully?
regards
[/quote]

Why should he? I'd love to play in Thailand. It's a beautiful country, great weather and you get by speaking English. It's a like a year long vacation for the family.
[/quote]

Well I am sure he could buy himself a big fuck-off mansion there if he wanted to do that.

Why should he? Well as you suggest it's up to him, but frankly hacking around the arse end leagues of the southern hemisphere is making him look a bit of a sad tit, and not an ex Liverpool legend..................in my humble opinion

regards

Definitely.

BUt I suppose we're looking at how we view him as opposed to how he views himself.

He'll always be a legend here whether he retires now or in 5 years playing in Fiji or something. GUess he just wants to play football until then.

Considering the bulk of players would rather collect wages sitting on the bench or at home, Fowler is even more worthy of our respect.

I agree sure he could just quietly retire, but I mean come on, he's only 36 years old. He's still quite young and not everything is about football. I think the fact of living in Thailand for a year drew him there more than the football, it was just a bonus. Something to do.
Some travel abroad to work in order to see and experience new things, he happens to be a footballer.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=44179.msg1361719#msg1361719 date=1310086751]
I agree sure he could just quietly retire, but I mean come on, he's only 36 years old. He's still quite young and not everything is about football. I think the fact of living in Thailand for a year drew him there more than the football, it was just a bonus. Something to do.
Some travel abroad to work in order to see and experience new things, he happens to be a footballer.
[/quote]

Really felt like that when he moved to Australia, that he just wanted to chill for a bit in the sun and get paid at the same time.

Maybe Fowler has always wanted to go backpacking.

He just completed his 2 yr working holiday in Australia and has decided to stop off in SE Asia for a bit on the way home.

It's a well trodden path.

I dont understand this "retire gracefully" stuff. Why? He loves playing football, and will do it as long as he can.
Why should that bother me?

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=44179.msg1361722#msg1361722 date=1310088663]
Maybe Fowler has always wanted to go backpacking.

He just completed his 2 yr working holiday in Australia and has decided to stop off in SE Asia for a bit on the way home.

It's a well trodden path.
[/quote]
:laugh:

Ufortunately Robbie is one of those few select players who ate naturally gifted & live to play.

As such when he doesn't he gets his kicks elsewhere, usually getting shit faced.

As such prolonging his career is inevitable. It's the same reason gazza made so many "comebacks", only I hope Robbie turns out very differently.

Great we will probably see him turning out for Marine soon.
I am not like apparently most on here , i would prefer to remember him at his best and not see him declining into ever deepening obscurity, maybe thats just me though.

Regards

It's not just you,Vladders..I'd rather he retired too.

Just saying I can understand why he's maybe having trouble letting go of something he loved.

[quote author=iseered link=topic=44179.msg1361723#msg1361723 date=1310089590]
I dont understand this "retire gracefully" stuff. Why? He loves playing football, and will do it as long as he can.
[/quote]

This

[quote author=refugee link=topic=44179.msg1361860#msg1361860 date=1310121226]
[/quote]

This
[/quote]

I agree, although I didn't like him playing for City. But when he's the other side of the world I really don't mind what he get up to.

261328_240215086003277_166281700063283_913195_6719066_n.jpg

268658_240215452669907_166281700063283_913205_6711152_n.jpg

Yeah, wasted talent in many ways. Shame.

I'm not fussed what he does either to be honest.

[/quote]

It's a matter of not wanting this one-time genius (not too strong a word for Robbie at his best IMO) to embarrass himself by publicly falling a long, long way short of what he used to be able to do. It's entirely up to the individual obv.but I understand where Vlad's coming from.

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=44179.msg1361776#msg1361776 date=1310113122]
Great we will probably see him turning out for Marine soon.
I am not like apparently most on here , i would prefer to remember him at his best and not see him declining into ever deepening obscurity, maybe thats just me though.

Regards
[/quote]

I agree but I can see why he doesn't. He's been a professional footballer for 20 years. He'll be retired for 40 to 50 years. If he gives up now the chances won't be there in 5 years time.

Ideally I'd like to see legendary players quit when at the top. I remember it was real shame seeing Ian Rush struggle on for those years after he left us, hardly ever scoring any goals. But its easy for us to say that isn't it?

IMG_78761.jpg

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has been named the player-coach of Thailand Premier League side Muangthong United.

Fowler joined the club as a player, signing a one-year contract in July 2011, after spells in the Australian A-League with North Queensland Fury and Perth Glory. However, with Muangthong being knocked out of the AFC Cup by Kuwait this week, it was decided that action had to be taken.

A statement on the Muangthong website read: ''The Board have appointed Robbie Fowler as the acting Head Coach and terminate the contract of Portuguese boss Henrique Calisto. The contract is until the end of the season and the team must adapt to long-term goals if it is to succeed in Asia.''

Robbie Fowler ?????????????? vs ?????
Watching Thailand vs Oman

Hamann at Stockport County, Dean Saunders from Wrexham to Doncaster Rovers, Babbel back in Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin and now Fowler with Muang Thong United.

Former Liverpool striker has become a surprise candidate to take over from Nigel Worthington who recently left the role of manager of Northern Ireland.

Worthington announced that he would step down as manager after Northern Ireland's final Euro 2012 qualifier with Italy and Fowler has now been linked with the vacancy.

The 36-year-old is currently the manager of Thai Premier League side Muangthong United, after originally signing for the club as a striker before taking over the role when the previous manager left the club.

Fowler has also begun to do his coaching badges and and over the last 18 months has spent much of his time in Ulster on a series of courses.

According to former Cardiff City team-mate Warren Feeney, Fowler is considering putting his name forward for the role as he looks to secure a move back to the UK.

"I've been speaking to Robbie and he is very keen on the Northern Ireland job," said Feeney, who now plays for Plymouth Argyle.

"He's an ambitious young manager who believes he has the ability to turn around Northern Ireland's fortunes and he'll be applying.

"He's doing well in Thailand but sees the Northern Ireland job as a wonderful opportunity."

Is there some sort of coaching school in Ulster that I don't know about? Maybe I should go there the next time i'm home, might help me on the old xpert eleven.

[quote author=athensruairi link=topic=44179.msg1414112#msg1414112 date=1319040305]
Is there some sort of coaching school in Ulster that I don't know about? Maybe I should go there the next time i'm home, might help me on the old xpert eleven.
[/quote]

The FA do classes all over Ulster and Liverpool have an academy (of sorts) based at Jordanstown

Would be a decent move for Fowler, not sure if it's that much of a risk for NI either really. The team can't really get any worse.

[quote author=Bradley link=topic=44179.msg1414167#msg1414167 date=1319054483]
Would be a decent move for Fowler, not sure if it's that much of a risk for NI either really. The team can't really get any worse.
[/quote]

Was thinking that it might be an interesting gamble. He may have no experience as a manager, but a big name manager might encourage some players to stick with NI instead of choosing to play for the Republic.

[quote author=refugee link=topic=44179.msg1414183#msg1414183 date=1319057132]
[quote author=Bradley link=topic=44179.msg1414167#msg1414167 date=1319054483]
[/quote]

Was thinking that it might be an interesting gamble. He may have no experience as a manager, but a big name manager might encourage some players to stick with NI instead of choosing to play for the Republic.
[/quote]

Or even to turn up when we have a game rather than developing injuries around an international game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom