• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hatton Vs Pacquiao Off

Paddy

Very Active
The planned May 2 showdown between Britain's Ricky Hatton and Phillipines star Manny Pacquiao has been called off after the two fighters' camps could not agree on how to split the purse.

Richard Schaefer, chief executive for Hatton backers Golden Boy Promotions, told ESPN and the Los Angeles Times that the bout was called off by Hatton after Pacquiao would not sign a deal by a Wednesday deadline.

"The fight is off," Schaefer told ESPN. "We're pursuing our other options. That's it. The Hattons called me and asked again if we had a signed deal from Pacquiao and when I said we didn't, they said they won't sit around anymore."

Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said the Filipino hero wanted more money and a bigger split of the profits from the 50-50 deal, for what would have been a Las Vegas spectacle and one of the fights of the year.

"Manny decided not to sign. He was unhappy with the terms," Arum told ESPN. "The fight is off. The suits can posture but it's the fighters who have to go in the ring and fight. But I am not thrilled right now."

Pacquiao adviser Rex Salud told the Manila newspaper Philippine Daily Inquirer that there would be no Hatton fight "unless the numbers move to his (Pacquiao's) favour."

The daily said Pacquiao wanted 60 percent of fight and pay-per-view purses, while the Hatton camp insists there had been a verbal agreement on an equal split.

The fighters were set to tour from next week to promote the fight. Now Hatton is scrambling to find another opponent to face on May 2.

Hatton, 45-1 with 32 knockouts, hopes to fight Oscar de la Hoya, the winner of next month's fight between Juan Diaz and Juan Manuel Marquez or retired star Floyd Mayweather. Such a bout might even be staged at Wembley Stadium.

A Mayweather-Hatton fight would be a rematch of the 2007 bout in which Mayweather stopped the Englishman in the 10th round at Las Vegas. Mayweather has not fought in the 13 months since and declared himself retired.

Pacquiao, 48-3 with two drawn and 36 knockouts, could still step in and save the fight by agreeing to the deal before another rival was signed, but that wasn't seen as a likely possibility given him missing the deadline.

Arum said Pacquiao's next possible foes include Humberto Soto, but the payday would.

Money. Fuck.

So he's throwing 50 percent of a huge purse away for 60 percent of a (relatively) mediocre purse.
Well done brains.

Its daft really, there is talk of Pacquiao fighting Valero next, but even if he gets 60-65% of the purse, that fight is not gonna generate anywhere near the amount of money Hatton - Pacquaio would have. He should of excepted the offer of 52-48 that was on the table.

Pity, as it was a fight i was really looking forward to.

If this fight is deffo off, id like to see Hatton fight the winner of the Diaz - Marquez fight, there both good fighters. I cant see Mayweather coming back, and De La Hoya shouldnt bother fighting again in my opinon, certainly not at 147.

Pacquiao has told Mexican TV that the fight is still on but possibly for a later date. Not sure what good will come from that.

Pacquiao really is NOT the best pound for pound in the world. Wow, he beat an over the hill De La Hoya, as several already have. If I recall correctly he's been knocked out in the first half of fights twice.

Hatton should and would beat him comfortably. That said, Mayweather would still beat Hatton so I'm not sure where he should go now. If Margarito puts in a good performance tomorrow then maybe... though I don't see the point anymore.

Anyway, Manny is not as good as people seem to think.

I've seen Manny fight AND TRAIN before in person in Manila and let me tell you this...this guy is one the best I've ever seen in the business. I've seen Ricky and that cocky cnut Floyd Mayweather fight, albeit not in person and Manny would run them very closely for their money.

And mind, Manny jumped two two weight classes to beat Oscar as well. No easy feat.

I'd rank them currently as :-
1) Mayweather Jr/Manny
2) Manny
3) Hatton
4) Marquez

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=30697.msg786445#msg786445 date=1232747111]
Anyway, Manny is not as good as people seem to think.

[/quote]

I'd say Hatton isn't as good as people like to think he is. I hope Manny beats him so that we get to see Manny fight Mayweather.

Manny should just fight Mayweather now.

Margarito fucked it up bady last night... I'd like to see Hatton vs Cotto maybe though it seems unlikely.

Hatton wants the big money fights now. He knows there's more money in fighting the likes of Manny and is probably still holding out for a Mayweather re-match. He won't make as much fighting Cotto.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=30697.msg787113#msg787113 date=1232887414]
Manny should just fight Mayweather now.

Margarito fucked it up bady last night... I'd like to see Hatton vs Cotto maybe though it seems unlikely.
[/quote]

Mosley was excellent last night wasnt he. Just too fast for Margarito. Wonder how that effects the Cotto - Margarito rematch, may be a Cotto - Mosely rematch now?

Ricky Hatton will fight Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on May 2 after receiving a contract signed by the Filipino superstar.

Following weeks of protracted negotiations surrounding Pacquiao's increased financial demands, the fight will now go ahead and a press conference will be held on Thursday to officially announce the contest.

Hatton's lawyer Gareth Williams said he is in possession of the contract, which the Mancunian will sign as soon as it has been checked.

Williams confirmed the fight will be held at the MGM Grand in Vegas, where Hatton suffered his only career defeat by Floyd Mayweather Jr in December 2007.

"We have got the contract, signed by Manny," Williams said.

He revealed Hatton has yet to sign the contract - purely due to logistics with Williams being in London - but said: "It won't be a problem and we'll announce the fight at a press conference on Thursday.

Yay

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=30697.msg789143#msg789143 date=1233083596]
Manny has been beat early by people with much less power than Hatton
[/quote]

I just get the feeling the Hitman isn't quite what he used to be, and IMO would need to be against Pacquiao. I'd be glad to be wrong though.

I know by the time the fight rolls around Hatton will be trimmed down to the right size/weight but a top professional's body can't take that type of punishment. All the alcohol, fatty foods and stuff. It was the reason, in my opinion, Mayweather crushed Hatton in 7,8,9 & 10 round when they fought.

Hope Pacquiao beats him and then we get to see him take on Mayweather. What a great fight that will be.

[flash=500,400]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/L8E8JkF6WZs[/flash]

"They've nicknamed me Ricky Fatton. Mind you, I have had a lot on me plate lately."

Come on Ricky! Fucking do him!

I personally believe Pacquiao will have a bit too much for Hatton. His street smartness in the ring, the speed, accuracy, technical know-how will edge the aggressive nature of Hatton. Pacquiao is pound for pound for a reason, bouncing between weight divisions with ease, beating some of the champions of those respective weight divisions without breaking a real sweat. Fair enough, he fought an old De La Hoya but he is more than capable of mixing it with the other welterweights, which he has said since, its a division he won't fight in again because of the weight issues.

Back
Top Bottom