• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I’m an alien, I’m a legal alien; An English tie in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoWASright

If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot
Liverpool’s chairman Tom Werner says he is “determined” to see a Premier League match played in New York — and envisages a day where other games are played around the world.
Werner accepted that the idea would face opposition from fans but suggested they could be offered cheap travel and accommodation. However, Liverpool’s owner John Henry has downplayed the idea, saying he would not advocate it.
The Premier League has said it has no plans to hold matches abroad after its American broadcast partner NBC last month proposed the idea of holding two games from the opening day of the season in the United States.
Werner told the Financial Times: “I’m determined one day to have a Premier League game be played in New York City. I even have the sort of crazy idea that there would be a day where we play one game in Tokyo, one game a few hours later in Los Angeles, one game a few hours later in Rio, one game a few hours later in Riyadh and make it sort of a day where football, where the Premier League, is celebrated.”

Asked about the fans’ reaction he added: “Let’s figure out a way to offer them very cheap travel [and] accommodation so that if Liverpool is playing Nottingham Forest, we will support fans coming to New York and make this an attractive thing for the fans as well.”
Henry told the FT that Werner’s ideas for a New York game were “not something that I advocate or am particularly interested in”.
The prospect of domestic competitions playing league and cup matches abroad has moved considerably closer after Fifa set up a group to revise its ban on such games taking place.
The existing Fifa rules state that “official league matches must be played within the territory of the respective member association” but they have been legally challenged in the United States.
In April, Fifa and the media company Relevent Sports reached an agreement to end their legal fight over a ban on the major European leagues playing competitive matches in the US.
American sports have embraced the prospect of taking their games overseas. The NFL’s international games have, since 2007, taken place in Mexico, the UK and Germany, and will branch out into Brazil this coming season. This weekend Major League Baseball comes to London for a third time, with the Philadelphia Phillies playing the New York Mets, in a season that started with games in South Korea
Lizards being lizards

You can see why they want to do it - American Football playing games in Europe seems to have been successful.

You can see why they want to do it - American Football playing games in Europe seems to have been successful.

MLB also.

It's all about the Benjamin's.

He's obviously thinking they'd get more gate receipts with say Bournemouth vs Liverpool at New York. Than the vitality. Not to mention TV revenue.

It'll happen eventually.

The integrity of the game is gone even more. 19 home games and 19 away. Fairness.

Imagine losing the league away to Fulham in Singapore because the sides are so fucked they draw. But your rivals have their away game in spring New York when the weather is nice.

The integrity of the game is gone even more. 19 home games and 19 away. Fairness.

Imagine losing the league away to Fulham in Singapore because the sides are so fucked they draw. But your rivals have their away game in spring New York when the weather is nice.

Same arguments made in other sports mate. Didn't make a difference.

You can’t compare US Football. They get games in the desert and following week in artic conditions. They also don’t play every 3 days for 9 months. Basketball is played indoors with all the benefits of controlling climate with air con.

Look how we’ve made late decisions on players coming back from international duty because of the travel involved. That could be the whole squad.

You can’t compare US Football. They get games in the desert and following week in artic conditions. They also don’t play every 3 days for 9 months. Basketball is played indoors with all the benefits of controlling climate with air con.

Look how we’ve made late decisions on players coming back from international duty because of the travel involved. That could be the whole squad.

It’s all bollocks - but it’ll happen, simply because it’s a new revenue stream - cities will pay a fortune to host games.

I’d imagine they start with games in the US as a trial and at least try to keep them all in a similar time zone.

At some point the EPL will likely introduce a “finals series” to make things more exciting.

Football’s fucked anyway.

John W Henry says this idea is “not something that I advocate or am particularly interested in”.

It’s all bollocks - but it’ll happen, simply because it’s a new revenue stream - cities will pay a fortune to host games.

I’d imagine they start with games in the US as a trial and at least try to keep them all in a similar time zone.

At some point the EPL will likely introduce a “finals series” to make things more exciting.

Football’s fucked anyway.
The more I think about it the worse it gets.

“Make it cheap for fans to go” how about keep the game in the L postcode.

The timing was ridiculous. The week city go in saying we need more money which has been derided from many someone within our club says this. More evidence city show everyone needs more money.

Love the idea of a game in the states for selfish reasons but … the endless quest for business development opportunities is going to ruin the game. We’ll end up with AI players and droids in red at this rate.

Would love it. But also think it’s a bridge too far

they could probably do the charity shield over there, half the teams are over there doing friendlies anyway
If what they wanted to do was showcase the game in the US this would make perfect sense.
But this is about dollars. No sense having a big money game in the US if all the money is going to charity. And there’s good chance the US would take a chunk of tax which would reduce the amount to the charities as well.

Didn’t they stop calling it the charity shield because close to fuck all went to charity?

Didn’t they stop calling it the charity shield because close to fuck all went to charity?

maxresdefault.jpg

As the name suggests, the proceeds from the game are distributed among community initiatives and charities across England.

Revenue from ticket and programme sales is distributed to the 124 clubs that competed in the FA Cup to be donated to local projects of their choice. The remainder of the money that is raised goes to the FA's national charity partners.

TV rights? Hospitality?

If what they wanted to do was showcase the game in the US this would make perfect sense.
But this is about dollars. No sense having a big money game in the US if all the money is going to charity. And there’s good chance the US would take a chunk of tax which would reduce the amount to the charities as well.

yea it’s the only fixture that would be somewhat forgivable, i’m sure they could wangle a way to leave the charities better off than if the game were played in england

every fan knows it’s a slippery slope though and they don’t want to give the first inch because they know where it leads

I tell you what would be a TERRIFIC idea. Why not have week 37 fixtures in the States and then week 38 in Saudi.

Then the three relegated teams can be ...... oh I'm be ing silly now

I tell you what would be a TERRIFIC idea. Why not have week 37 fixtures in the States and then week 38 in Saudi.

Then the three relegated teams can be ...... oh I'm be ing silly now

gifted rolex watches?

I had a long drive yesterday and was thinking about this..

If they REALLY wanted to do something americanised/global.. they should do an EPL Cup.

Top 16 from previous season (17th place. You've been shit and lucky to still be in the Premier league.. so shush).

Round 1
Game 1 Seed 1 vs Seed 16
Game 2 Seed 8 vs Seed 9

Game 8 Seed 2 vs Seed 15

Winner of game 1 plays games 2 etc.

Different venues/can rotate countries each year World cup style.

Preseason over 2 weeks max of 4 games for 2 teams.

Would do away with this Premier League game abroad.

But then that would mean we would miss out on pre-season games in our other big fan bases in Asia, not sure if US is big enough as market for us to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom