• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

In memory of @gkMacca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor chap. Just shows you how devastating injuries can to be a young player's career, and how so many simply don't have it in them to come back from them.

Interesting Krefeld fact: in 2007 my mate in Dusseldorf fell down the stairs and banged his head and ended up being looked after in the neuro bit of a hospital in Krefeld, a few miles north. Anyways I went over quite a bit to visit and a mad thing was all the cars in the streets looked like they'd been banged on the roof and bonnet with a hammer, so I asked the nurse about it and the year before they'd had a freak hailstorm with stones the size of golf balls, knackered all the cars, but the insurance companies said it was an act of God so everyone was stuck with these bust up cars.

Sounds like a decent level-headed lad… and he definitely had a “gift” for finishing - a shame about I’m the injuries. The artificial pitches are evil and dangerous.

I am wondering how well our academy or other footballing academies do in terms of helping these talents in life if they don't make it in the premier league. I was at one point reading about Adam Morgan and how he was doing deliveries now. Yesil is working in a factory.

If you sign a professional contract with Liverpool, you make atleast 5 to 10K per week for about 3 to 4 years. That is an enormous sum of money compared to most upper middle class folks. If you save and make even basic level of investment like mutual funds or rental properties or something, you shouldn't go from there to deliveries or working in a factory in 4 to 5 years time. Not just the money, the contacts you develop at Liverpool should help open doors in other careers like coaching, physical education, starting a business, etc.

Sometimes if you’re not good enough you’re not good enough, gotta find a way to accept it and find something else to do. It’s not always about injury setbacks…the kid was clearly pushed beyond his capabilities.

Interesting Krefeld fact: in 2007 my mate in Dusseldorf fell down the stairs and banged his head and ended up being looked after in the neuro bit of a hospital in Krefeld, a few miles north. Anyways I went over quite a bit to visit and a mad thing was all the cars in the streets looked like they'd been banged on the roof and bonnet with a hammer, so I asked the nurse about it and the year before they'd had a freak hailstorm with stones the size of golf balls, knackered all the cars, but the insurance companies said it was an act of God so everyone was stuck with these bust up cars.

Don’t suppose you were around that area in the mid 90’s? I used to know a few scousers in my time living there! And many squaddies!!

I am wondering how well our academy or other footballing academies do in terms of helping these talents in life if they don't make it in the premier league. I was at one point reading about Adam Morgan and how he was doing deliveries now. Yesil is working in a factory.

If you sign a professional contract with Liverpool, you make atleast 5 to 10K per week for about 3 to 4 years. That is an enormous sum of money compared to most upper middle class folks. If you save and make even basic level of investment like mutual funds or rental properties or something, you shouldn't go from there to deliveries or working in a factory in 4 to 5 years time. Not just the money, the contacts you develop at Liverpool should help open doors in other careers like coaching, physical education, starting a business, etc.
Before they turn 17 and can sign pro deals, the kids will only be on a few £100 per week (there are salary caps for these age groups). Usually when a kid signs a deal at age 16 (when the club can "officially" start paying them - as opposed to paying an agent or some spurious "expenses" to their parents) there'll be a guaranteed pro contract on turning 17, but it won't be big money in footballing terms (maybe £50k per annum). They would need to be knocking on the first-team door to get a six-figure annual sum, and the lads who are brought in as youth prospects will typically get more than the locals as the kids who've come up through the academy system from a really young age will be tied in to a progression path that is fairly mean with the money.
So someone like Yesil could conceivably have been on that kind of money, but Trent wouldn't have been, at least not until he broke into the first team and was given a new deal.

Don’t suppose you were around that area in the mid 90’s? I used to know a few scousers in my time living there! And many squaddies!!

No, but it was really handy at the time that Ryanair were flying into their version of Dusseldorf airport, which was really an old army one that was about an hour away on from Duss on the train, but Krefeld was on the way. Really like Dusseldorf, got dead chill vibes from the place. The fact that the flights were about ten quid return was useful too.

The first night after he got injured I got over there and the surgeon was all like, I assume you know he was carrying his E111 card (the thing that got you full free treatment before brexit) and I said oh yeah I'm sure, and he said good, have a look through his pockets, you've got a week! He knew he didn't have it, just gave us breathing space to trash his flat looking for it.

I've always had a problem with this. They go through thousands of kids who stake their whole life on being a professional football player and release 99% of them after ten years at the academy, with little other skills picked up.
To be fair, the clubs put processes in place to let the kids get a decent education, but too many of them are too busy chasing the dream to take advantage of the opportunity. You're right, it stinks, but I don't think it's a problem that's easily solved.
The other issue I have is that when they wash up in their late teens a lot of them haven't really had a proper childhood either as they've been under huge pressure to succeed for a decade or more.

Before they turn 17 and can sign pro deals, the kids will only be on a few £100 per week (there are salary caps for these age groups). Usually when a kid signs a deal at age 16 (when the club can "officially" start paying them - as opposed to paying an agent or some spurious "expenses" to their parents) there'll be a guaranteed pro contract on turning 17, but it won't be big money in footballing terms (maybe £50k per annum). They would need to be knocking on the first-team door to get a six-figure annual sum, and the lads who are brought in as youth prospects will typically get more than the locals as the kids who've come up through the academy system from a really young age will be tied in to a progression path that is fairly mean with the money.
So someone like Yesil could conceivably have been on that kind of money, but Trent wouldn't have been, at least not until he broke into the first team and was given a new deal.

I was talking specifically about players who signed a professional deal like Yesil and Adam Morgan - not the kids who were signed on "scholarship type" deals till they were 17 and let go. We paid 1 million pounds for Yesil when he was 18. Fairly confident he would have gotten 3 to 10K per week salary as he was a highly rated German youth national team prospect. He also started a few cup games for us.

To be fair, the clubs put processes in place to let the kids get a decent education, but too many of them are too busy chasing the dream to take advantage of the opportunity. You're right, it stinks, but I don't think it's a problem that's easily solved.
The other issue I have is that when they wash up in their late teens a lot of them haven't really had a proper childhood either as they've been under huge pressure to succeed for a decade or more.

Yeah my mates nephew was in the academy from six to sixteen and when he got released he said it was a relief, he was bored shitless of playing footy all the time, and for years and years he'd just had being a left back drilled into him. I think the Sunday League system was better, at least until they're about 13/14

I was talking specifically about players who signed a professional deal like Yesil and Adam Morgan - not the kids who were signed on "scholarship type" deals till they were 17 and let go. We paid 1 million pounds for Yesil when he was 18. Fairly confident he would have gotten 3 to 10K per week salary as he was a highly rated German youth national team prospect. He also started a few cup games for us.
Yes, I think Yesil would have done, not so sure about Morgan though. The kids who spend years in academies tend to get shafted.
More recently, the likes of Curtis Jones and Trent have been given several new contracts since their academy days - there'd have been a step up in money each time. Jones's two contracts were less than a year apart.

He probably earned a decent amount at Liverpool, but I would guess it was at the lower end of that scale. Given that he says he bought a house for himself and a house for his parents, and he has had a few years of either low or no pay, the money he did earn early one probably isn't enough for him not to be able to work again, even if he does still have some of it saved.

Also, I think he is probably something of an exception due to his injuries, bad luck etc. I would imagine most in his position would have been able to make a decent enough career for themselves. The ones who end up working in factories, driving cabs, doing deliveries are usually the ones who never really earned the big money and blew most of what they did earn.

Damn had no idea he was playing 5th tier football now.

Him and Gerardo Bruna had such big wraps and completely disappeared off the radar.

It's a cut throat environment - good to see Samed is taking it well, there's many who don't unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom