• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Interesting Head Coaches/Managers

Bournemouth's owner is utterly committed to winning in general and not afraid to spend. He's got the Vegas hockey team into the semi-finals for the third time in their five years of existence, which is unprecedented in the modern era. He's spent to the limit of the NHL salary cap as well. Not all decisions have been smart - he seems impatient, maybe a bit like Boehly but more competent - but definitely not afraid to put himself about.

I remember when the takeover happened, you were the first to point out that Bournemouth got a good owner and I agreed with that. His record with the Vegas Golden Knights is impressive. There has always been talk about the big six. But I feel like Bournemouth will be a regular top ten team soon. There is a good chance that big six plus Newcastle plus Bournemouth, Brighton, and Villa could be an exclusive top ten club in a couple of years.

Bournemouth's owner is utterly committed to winning in general and not afraid to spend. He's got the Vegas hockey team into the semi-finals for the third time in their five years of existence, which is unprecedented in the modern era. He's spent to the limit of the NHL salary cap as well. Not all decisions have been smart - he seems impatient, maybe a bit like Boehly but more competent - but definitely not afraid to put himself about.

Cheers for sharing, @darkstarexodus, I know nothing about baseball and hockey :oops:.

Just looking at Bournemouth's small stadium capacity alone - I thought they needed owners who would execute plans to improve the club not only in terms of transfer signings, but also infrastructural wise (+ increase fan base etc), to avoid being a yo-yo club

Cheers for sharing, @darkstarexodus, I know nothing about baseball and hockey :oops:.

Just looking at Bournemouth's small stadium capacity alone - I thought they needed owners who would execute plans to improve the club not only in terms of transfer signings, but also infrastructural wise (+ increase fan base etc), to avoid being a yo-yo club

Yes, I'm curious how owners like this who just want a part of the Premier League cash will invest in the infrastructure to bring a side up to be competitive at the top level. He's got money- but can Bournemouth really get established as more than a Crystal Palace type side or is that their ceiling? (And does it matter to Foley?)

I remember when the takeover happened, you were the first to point out that Bournemouth got a good owner and I agreed with that. His record with the Vegas Golden Knights is impressive. There has always been talk about the big six. But I feel like Bournemouth will be a regular top ten team soon. There is a good chance that big six plus Newcastle plus Bournemouth, Brighton, and Villa could be an exclusive top ten club in a couple of years.

This is certainly a possibility. But equally likely that every single club gets fairly wealthy owners and then I'm not sure what will happen.

FwGkTV-XoAEuwPX

Tough ask to keep the run going. Anyways, winning the league's gotta be the next target.

This is going to be another close season where every manager linked to Spurs turns them down and they end up with their 10th choice, who they sack by November.

Not that long ago we were being told that Levy wanted Nagelsmann. Does this hopeless thrashing around suggest he's been approached but turned the job down?

Dated Mar 2023
Urs Fischer’s Union Berlin success in the Bundesliga and beyond cannot be explained but it must be admired
[article]What is the greatest story in European football right now? Perhaps Napoli storming to a first Serie A title in 33 years might be the most glorious. But Union Berlin finding themselves on the fringes of a Bundesliga title race in March must rank as the most inexplicable.

The team with one of the smallest budgets in the Bundesliga continue to defy logic and the opposition. Even promotion was a miracle in the eyes of the supporters who famously helped to build their stadium in the forest. Just staying up was special.

Now that has morphed into so much more, with critics continually confounded. Qualification for the Europa Conference League was supposed to be Union's undoing. They promptly qualified for the Europa League instead. The Champions League? It is a possibility.

Most now realise it would be crazy to keep betting against them. Into the last 16 in Europe after eliminating Ajax, fans are bewildered, yet to wake from the dream. Nobody knows what to think. Everyone agrees all this would be impossible without Urs Fischer.

What is it about the 57-year-old Swiss coach that has unlocked potential few had considered even latent? Union's back three at Bayern Munich last month did not have a cap between them. Their internationals come from Suriname and Tunisia, Norway and Austria.

Christopher Trimmel is that Austrian, the 36-year-old captain who spent five seasons in the second tier with Union prior to this unexpected addendum to his career. Until recently, star midfielder Rami Khedira was more famous for being Sami's little brother.

Fischer himself is an enigma. He is said to be happiest with a fishing rod in hand, an example of nominative determinism in action. An unshowy type, he is neither a politician nor a philosopher in an age where it is often demanded that coaches be both.

Consider his back-to-back titles with Basel. He was nevertheless dispensed with when the club had a change of ownership in 2017. They were going in search of football more fashionable - someone more fashionable. Basel have not won the title since.

Bernhard Heusler was the outgoing Basel president, a man entitled to an I-told-you-so or eight given the subsequent struggles to replicate the number of consecutive league titles that were won between 2009 and 2017. He focuses more on defending Fischer.

"It sounds strange but his time there was not easy," Heusler tells Sky Sports. "He came in a moment when our teams had been six-time Swiss champions, Champions League nights, a Europa League semi-final, so people were quite used to huge success.

"They got kind of spoilt and were not realistic in their demands. It was difficult to make people happy in a situation where they had been so spoilt in the past. They did not appreciate what he did. They were intoxicated by success. Urs felt it as well.

"New people came with new ideas so it was not so surprising that one of their new ideas was to have a new coach. Nowadays, it is easy to act as an expert after the fact. From today's perspective, it is very easy to say that this idea was totally wrong.

"But, at the time, many people in the media were happy with the change because they were not so happy about the football that was being played, even though we had won the double. They were of the belief that anybody could be successful with this team."

Fischer left having earned respect. A banner reading 'Never One of Us' had greeted his arrival, a reference to his long association with FC Zurich, with whom he had been within a point of toppling Basel in a previous job. Upon his exit, the banner read 'One of Us.'

Nevertheless, it is telling that two Swiss titles were only enough to take him to Germany's second division. Sometimes it is the circumstances that make the man - and the coach. Fischer was a victim of high expectations at Basel. In Berlin, there were none.

That is not quite true, of course. There were demands, just not for success or free-flowing football. The non-negotiable at Union was effort and that chimed with a character who instinctively understood the ethos of the supporters who stood on the terraces.

The demand for results removed, his Union churned them out.

Still, Fischer can find himself overlooked. He is not one of the seemingly endless supply of excitable young German coaches eager to impress either the Bayern board or prospective employers abroad by preaching gegenpressing and attractive football.

Bayern and Dortmund are the top two teams for possession in the Bundesliga. In stark contrast, Union rank among the bottom three. They attempt the fewest dribbles of any team. But their 5-3-2 formation stifles and strangles. They are as tough as they come.

In conversation with Christoph Biermann, while watching Fischer's side swarm all over Jude Bellingham and a talented Borussia Dortmund team earlier this season, the veteran German reporter who spent a season embedded within Union tries to explain the alchemy.

"Urs Fischer really is a top coach," Biermann tells Sky Sports. "People do not recognise it because he is not very good at marketing himself. Actually, he refuses to. Sometimes the other members staff are, I would not say frustrated by it, but have to encourage him.

"If Jurgen Klopp is at one end of the spectrum, always finding the right phrase to explain the situation, Urs is at the opposite and he knows it. But he looks duller than he is. He does what he has to do on the training ground and in the dressing room."

Asked what impresses him most about Fischer, it is leadership that Heusler, his old president at Basel, picks out. This is the quality that helps to forge the tight bonds and the sense of unity that is essential if teams are to achieve more than thought possible.

Humility is a feature too. As a player and captain, Fischer had once allowed the FC Zurich president to lift the cup before him. As a coach, he asked his president to give the address before the cup final win that completed the double. For Heusler, it was emotional.

"He did not do it to do me a favour, that is not Urs. He thought the input of another person could help. It was a special moment for me. He has that instinct for leadership just by being credible, having key values, and a very direct and honest way of communicating.

"Being a coach requires a lot in terms of leadership since a coach has to disappoint half of his squad every weekend by telling them that they are not going to play. On the other hand, his success often depends in the long run on these people who he has disappointed.

"During my time with Urs I never had any complicated conversations with players who felt they were not treated in the correct way. So, even those players who he disappointed with his sporting decisions, they accepted it due to his character as an honest person.

"Those numbers 12 to 24 can make the difference in the long run. I think that is maybe the greatest achievement you can have as a coach. That, at the end of the day, the entire squad is behind you. From a leadership perspective, this impressed me the most."

It is coaxing something extra from players others had missed. Sheraldo Becker was signed from ADO Den Haag and failed to score in his first season with Union. In August, the striker became the club's first player to win the Bundesliga player of the month award.

Robin Knocke was signed on a free transfer from Wolfsburg. Khedira was picked up the same way from Augsburg. As Biermann explains, the individuals will be lauded for their improvement but it is how Fischer is utilising them that is the secret.

"It is about recruitment but it is also about what Urs is making of these players. If you look, for example, at Rani Khedira, he was always a proper Bundesliga player but now he looks a class Bundesliga player because they have worked with him so much.

"They have shown him videos explaining exactly what they want from him in his midfield role and he has made the adjustments in his game. You can see that improvement with almost every player who has worked under Urs. And if they do not get it, then they leave.

"Just look at them. They are so organised defensively that the man on the ball is always under pressure. Everybody is helping everybody else so there are almost no gaps. In the Bundesliga, there is nobody that is better organised defensively.

"It is a decent team that is full of confidence. They have some quality but it is not as if the clubs in the Premier League are queuing up to buy their players. But everyone has a positive attitude here. The fans never boo a player or pick on him if he is having a bad day."

Union by name and by nature, they are succeeding by doing it differently. The data science had begun to suggest that crosses were inefficient. Union attempt more of them than any other team. Pressing is now de rigueur. Union render it useless by playing over it.

They remain a mystery to many, a team of contradictions. Union can appear to allow their opponent the ball but have somehow conceded among the fewest shots of any Bundesliga team. Getting the ball off them and getting at them are two different things.

Attack Union and they will counter at speed with the pace of Becker. Sit off them and they will use the territorial advantage to hurl balls into the box from wide areas and then pick up the second balls. No team in the Bundesliga has won more aerial duels.

It is a template embraced by an enthusiastic group of players and by supporters untainted by success. It is a template masterminded by the underestimated Urs Fischer, a happy union of coach and club coming together to create one of the stories of this or any season.
[/article]

Marco Rose - 10 wins 1 defeat in 11 matches (GF 24 GA 9) in all competitions inc. today's DFB-Pokal final vs. Frankfurt

http://sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/...r-passover-weekend.197442/page-8#post-2214282

[article]Former Napoli coach Luciano Spalletti believes Vincenzo Italiano could be the right man to succeed him at the club. Spalletti left the Partenopei at the end of the season, having guided them to a historic Scudetto victory. Speaking at ‘The Coach Experience’ event (as quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport) the 64-year-old veteran explained why he’s not worried about Napoli, given that president Aurelio De Laurentiis has an excellent track record with choosing the right coach’s:

“He could have been the right profile because he has the desire to play the game, he gets in your face and it’s an attitude I like. The two finals prove it, even if he lost them he still gave everything. These are competitions that are determined by incidents, but to be there means you have worked well.”

“In any case, I know many coaches, but De Laurentiis has always known how to choose excellent tacticians.”

“The future? This year I will stay put, then we will see if I still have the stimulus to give something to the sport. The national team? It doesn’t matter where you train, you can do it in Avane, near Empoli where I live now, or with a national team, feeling the same flavor and enthusiasm.”
[/article]

I first heard of him when he was managing Sassuolo (and rightly earned a move to a bigger club, Shakhtar Donetsk) so rather than having doubts about his quality - my "concern" was how he would cope with managing in a foreign (to him) country - where communication may be a prob.

Dated Nov 2020
Sassuolo in the Serie A title race: How Roberto De Zerbi shook Italian football

[article]Caputo's story has captured the imagination in Italy, but even that tale might be topped by the one that is unfolding for his team. Little Sassuolo are in the race for the Serie A title.

For a brief few hours on Sunday, they even topped the table after victory at Verona, their fifth win of an unbeaten start that feels like the next step for De Zerbi's entertaining team.

The 41-year-old coach might not have been the architect of Caputo's unusual movements but since taking over in 2018 he has controlled just about everything else at Sassuolo, this tiny club that has spent more time in Italy's fifth tier than its first over the past four decades.

De Zerbi himself is something of a cult figure in coaching circles. On the face of it, his is an unremarkable record. After going close to promotion with Foggia, there was a short and unsuccessful stay at Palermo before a doomed attempt to save Benevento from the drop.

It might not sound like much but the devil is in the detail.

"De Zerbi is one of the most innovative coaches in football," insists Melidona. "And his Sassuolo team are one of the most important teams in Italy right now."

It is not just the results, although many of those have been spectacular. It is not even the fact that they have been achieved on a fraction of the budget of Sassuolo's rivals.

It is the way that they are doing it.

"De Zerbi might change the players who start the construction depending on the opponent but he never changes the principles," says Melidona. "The team's idea remains constant. The fundamental principle of De Zerbi's football is that he wants his team dominate the game by constructing the game from the back and by keeping the ball on the ground."

Even Pep Guardiola has praised Sassuolo for their expansive approach and that is appropriate given that it was on a visit to watch his Bayern Munich team in 2013 that De Zerbi's vision for the game was crystallised. He wanted his teams to play football like that.

Now, it is others visiting Sassuolo to learn from him.

A recent cohort of the UEFA Pro Master course went to see De Zerbi to understand his methods. "I have no secrets," he told them. His game is right there for everyone to see on the pitch every single weekend.

Sassuolo are the top scorers in Italy and, with a nod to Gian Piero Gasperini's Atalanta, they are playing the most attractive football too. No team has played as many passes this season, with 22-year-old midfielder Manuel Locatelli, a precocious talent, at the top of the list.

"Sassuolo not only plays the most passes but they play the fewest long balls," says Melidona. "It is a very ambitious style of play and the influence of Guardiola is clear. De Zerbi always plays with five or six men attacking. The left-back or right-back joins in. The idea is always to fill the half of the opponent with as many players as possible.

"Sometimes, he starts with three players and the goalkeeper. Other times, he starts with four players and the goalkeeper. But the principle is always to dominate the game starting from a low construction, to retain possession and to control with and without the ball.

"He uses the whole width of the field. Right now, his scheme is to play with four defenders, two midfielders, three players between the midfield and the striker, and one striker.

"It is very important for him to play with his two outside players in the attack as inverted wingers, with the left footer on the right and the right footer on the left. That is because he wants width but he needs the wide attackers to move inside the box in the final third."

An example of this came on Sunday when, in top scorer Caputo's absence through injury, Sassuolo's goals in a 2-0 win were provided by Domenico Berardi, their left-footed right-winger, and Jeremie Boga, the former Chelsea youngster, who cuts inside from the left.

Much like Guardiola's teams, Sassuolo's expansive approach can leave them susceptible to the counter-attack and that has been reflected in some crazy scorelines. Just last month they followed up a 4-3 away win against Bologna with a 3-3 draw at home to Torino.

On Saturday, Sassuolo face Antonio Conte's Inter, against whom they drew 3-3 last time out in June having lost this corresponding fixture 4-3 last season. Entertainment is guaranteed.

"The problem is that using so many players in attacks does leave a lot of space in behind when possession of the ball is lost," says Melidona. "This is why even when Sassuolo win, they sometimes concede goals. Maybe it is a risk but it is a principle of De Zerbi's football.

"Sassuolo always try to score one more than the opponent. Sometimes the problem is that when he plays against a big team, if they do not take their chances they cannot come back."

[/article]

Lallana looks and sounds like someone who will go into management - or at least, coaching.

His English is pretty good

[article]"Here, there are no miracles," Andoni Iraola tells Sky Sports with a smile. But what the Rayo Vallecano manager has achieved during his three seasons in charge of one of LaLiga's smallest clubs, on a budget dwarfed by those of their rivals, can't be too far off.

Rayo, with their crumbling, three-stand stadium squeezed up against tower blocks in a residential corner of Madrid, were stuck in the second tier two years ago. Now, they are fighting to qualify for Europe for only the second time in their 99-year history.

Barcelona have been beaten - not once but three times - and so have Real Madrid. It is some going for a side promoted via the play-offs as the sixth-best in Segunda. Especially when you consider all but two of their starters this season were part of that team.

Rayo have only paid transfer fees for six players in three years under Iraola and those fees average just £2m. There have been loans and free-agent signings - Radamel Falcao among them - but otherwise the manager has worked happily with what he had.

"I think I have been lucky because I have found a group of players willing to achieve big things since my first day here," adds Iraola, speaking over Zoom from the club's training ground.

"In the end, the players have the level they are showing. It is true that it is difficult to show it every single week and maintain it against opponents who, market-wise, probably have more value. But we are showing we have players who can play against the better teams."

They have the manager too. Iraola's work at Rayo has earned him a reputation as one of Spain's best and most exciting coaches. In February, long before they turned to Sam Allardyce, Leeds United tried to appoint the 40-year-old as Jesse Marsch's replacement.

"I was really pleased that they thought of me as an option to coach there," says Iraola. "I talked to Rayo Vallecano, who obviously were the ones who had to make the decision, and I understood also that Rayo wanted to continue with me."

The club's hierarchy ultimately dug their heels in, determined not to lose him in the middle of the season, and Iraola made no attempt to force the issue. Was there, though, any sense of frustration on his part that the timing did not line up?

Iraola shrugs. "You cannot think in things that could have happened," he says. "It was what it was.

"I think it was a very open decision. We talked to the club, and Leeds were also very open with Rayo Vallecano. We talked for one day, 'OK, it's not the moment, it's over.' It is nothing more than that.

"I am very pleased that they thought of me as an option, but I am also very happy here working for Rayo Vallecano. I hope they finish the season well, but right now we are doing well, so we are not thinking too much about that."

It remains to be seen whether Leeds will come back in for him at the end of the season. There is the small matter of Premier League survival to worry about first. But Iraola, despite his admiration for English football, is not thinking that far ahead anyway - even if his contract at Rayo is due to expire in June.

"I think that, right now, the Premier League is probably the top league, because in the end it's about budget, about money, and right now they are by far the richest league. But I don't know if later I will have the chance I want [to manage there].

"As managers, we can't make long-term plans. OK, you are doing well now, so you have options. But, probably, you will start losing games, and those options will start to disappear.

"We have to think short-term. I have to think about the next training session, the next game, about my things here in Rayo Vallecano, and then let's see what happens.

"It doesn't make sense to think from here to three, four or five years. If I am doing things well, probably I will have the option someday [to go to the Premier League]. But if things don't go well, probably I will have to think in other options.

"You just have to think in the present - and my present is really good. I'm really happy with the club, with the players I am coaching, and I am still in this learning process. That is where I am focused."

The links with Leeds were tantalising for the club's fans given Iraola's history with Marcelo Bielsa. The former right-back played under him for two years during his time in charge of Athletic Club Bilbao and counts the former Whites boss, who has just been named Uruguay's new head coach, as one of his biggest influences.

"I was very lucky to play for him for two seasons as a player," says Iraola. "I think he has another vision of football. They were two very good seasons for us, and, for me, it was a different knowledge.

"I use a lot of exercises from Marcelo that I learned from him. I use a lot of things, especially with the ball. Offensively, his teams are very dynamic. He is willing to make all the runs to the space, he is ready to accept this kind of disorder, offensively."

Iraola now places that offensive "disorder" at the heart of his own philosophy. Like those of Bielsa, his Rayo players are drilled to tear into opponents as quickly and directly as possible.

Ander Murillo, his friend, former team-mate and sporting director of AEK Larnaca, the Cypriot club where Iraola took his first senior job in management, describes his football as "rock and roll". It is a description which brings a chuckle from Iraola but it fits.

"It is true that we like, and we perform better, in high-tempo games," says Iraola. "We need to run a lot. We don't need so much control, not in every single play, but I think we have the legs, we have the willingness, to go up and down."

It is pointed out that Rayo can play, too. Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti talked up their "beautiful football" earlier this season and the statistics put them eighth in LaLiga in terms of possession.

"It is not something we are trying to find because I think are much better without the ball," says Iraola. "We are recovering and regaining possession very high and that is why we have so much time on the ball, but it is not something we like.

"I think we have to take risks when we regain. I don't like this 'security pass', as they say, to play with the 'keeper, to start building from the back. You have to do it sometimes, but it is not what identifies us. We are dangerous in fast attacks, when we recover possession as high as we can.

"I think we can find more goals that way than building from the back. Sometimes we score starting from the 'keeper, with a lot of passes, but the amount you score like this is a lot lower."

Iraola still regards the season he spent honing his knowledge of that side of the game under Patrick Vieira at New York City FC as a crucial step on his path into management. "He is a very, very good coach and he showed me another point of view," he says.

But his preference was always for full-throttle football and that can now be seen in the ferociousness of Rayo's pressing.
skysports-rayo-vallecano-andoni-iraola_6157439.png

According to Opta, they rank top in LaLiga for high turnovers leading to shots this season and third behind Real Sociedad and Barcelona in terms of PPDA, which measures the average number of opposition passes a team allows per defensive action.

Iraola's approach differs from Bielsa's in that he does not use a man-to-man marking system. "We try to press high, to be aggressive without the ball, but with a different kind of structure."

He is, however, similarly demanding in terms of what he expects from his players out of possession. "I think you have to be demanding," he says. "Marcelo was really demanding with the players. It is the only way to achieve big goals and explore your limits."

At Rayo, one of Spain's last 'neighbourhood clubs', centred in the traditionally working-class and fiercely anti-establishment district of Vallecas, it is also a means of connecting with supporters.

"We represent a neighbourhood that likes to play this way," says Iraola. "It is kind of the identity that Rayo fans have. They are a lot of hard-workers. They love to feel this identification on the pitch and it is what they demand of the players. It is what we have to give them."

The synergy makes for a special atmosphere inside their 14,708-capacity home and Iraola regards chemistry and togetherness as crucial too. His enduring trust in the players who earned Rayo promotion draws further parallels with Bielsa at Leeds.

"Chemistry is key to pass through difficult periods, to continue pushing, to think more collectively," he explains. "We have experienced what it is to play in the second division - a difficult, difficult division, so we want to continue playing against best teams in the world.

"To do that, we have to prove it every single week. It is not, 'OK, last week, we did a very good game, now we can rest.' No. You have to prove it in every single training session, in every single season.

"That is what this group of players are doing."

And, as impressive as it may be, Andoni Iraola - Leeds United's one who got away - will be first to tell you that it is no miracle.

This article was first published on May 17, 2023
[/article]

Proper sounds like Roberto Martinez.

& if you didn't know what Roberto sounded like, he sounds like the new Saints manager!!!!

Back
Top Bottom