• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's Gonna Be a Blue Christmas... Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insignificance

Bad to the bone
I think we played one of the best halves of the whole season right there in the opening 45 mins. And if Mane had taken the easy chances this game should have ended 7-3 or so.

I heard Hangeland saying after the game that it was shocking defending from Everton, but it was not too easy defending those runs between the lines, and our movement was better than for a long time.

When Everton came out it looked like a 5 men backline, but our early goal made them adjust and it gave us too much space on the flanks.

All in all a nice evening!!!

Yeah I wish Mane got the hatrick, you could see how tired he was after 60 mins. Would rest him this weekend if we can although the temptation to give Salah a longer rest is tempting too ..

His pass to Origi for the goal was extraordinarily precise. Gift the goal to him on a plate.

Someone fucking change that title! IT HAS TO BE ABOUT XMAS!

Anyway, God rest ye merry gentlemen and gather round! For 'tis my RAAAAAAAAAATIIIIINNNNNNGS!

I don't think anyone saw that line-up coming. Yeah maybe Shaq coming in, or Milner, but changing five players from the Brighton game was a huge surprise, but it paid off big time. The first half was, to be blunt, total fucking lunacy. Every shot seemed to fly in, and the game was played fast, loose and in an almost old-school way; tactics, formation, shape and discipline was in scant supply. But when you've got better players, there's only going to be one winner.

Everton started with a strange 5 at the back, which seemed sensible, but only if those players can defend. But the 3 CBs got in eachother's way, and Sidebe can't defend, so it was a shambles. It also meant that Everton only had two central midfielders, and neither of them can tackle, or run, so they were just destroyed by the pace and movement of Liverpool and the extra bodies we had.

There was still some frustration - how many chances did we gift them? - and at one point a glaring miss by Kean could have made it a nerve-jangling 4-3, but justice was done: Everton deserved nothing, and we really should have scored at least two more. As it was, we had to settle for just the five goals. Hohoho!

Adrian (6) Conceded two, but wasn't to blame really. Showed a few insouciant touches, which was nice, but he doesn't allow us to play as high a line, as he isn't as aggressive in his positioning as Allison.

TAA (8) He walked a fine line at times, leaving a foot in here and there, and sometimes his arrogance in possession can be a bit dangerous, but how it pays off! Some of his passing was enough to bring joy to the world. So instrumental in everything good about this Liverpool side.

Virgil (7) Had a decent tussle with Calvert-Lewin, but was unusually slack in some of his positioning in that first 45 minutes. Much better after the break, as things calmed down a bit and he was more in control. Some lovely passes too, but it would be nice to see him get back to his very best, and quick.

Lovren (7) This was in many ways a classic Lovren display; some jarring mistakes and then a brilliant challenge (one of which left DCL gasping). And then there was that pass, delivered from deep, crisp and evenly, right into the path of Big Div.

Robertson (7) Wasn't in the mood to show much goodwill to any Everton players, as he snarled and bristled at anything in blue. Soon got the measure of Iwobi, and cowed him into complete invisibility. Still not at his best level, although that might due to his injury.

Milner (7) A typically solid and hard-working display, with the usual sprinkling of classic Milner "reducers" thrown in. Perhaps a bit too frenetic at times, but more measured and accurate with his passing after half-time.

Wijnaldum (8) Like Milner, was a bit awry with some of his passing, but took total control of the midfield as the game went on. Showed some immense strength in possession, as Everton tried, and failed, to get the ball off him. It was like watching a 10 year old playing against his Dad in the back garden at times. Scored a very deserved fifth goal with a lovely finish after Firmino left half the Everton team looking the wrong way.

Lallana (6) Worked hard and harassed the wobbling Everton defenders well from a more advanced position. Some decent use of the ball, but nothing hugely creative. But for fuck's sake, please stop doing those Lallana Turns* and giving the ball away. (*they're like Cruyff turns, but performed in your own half and often results in getting robbed)

Shaqiri (8) Don't call it a comeback, but he knocked Everton the fuck out with that crucial second goal. He was a bit in and out for the first 45 minutes apart from that, but was a great outlet in the second half, and used his array of flicks, feints and tricks to bleed out any resistance Everton had left.

Mane (9) I was furious with him at times, because he should have got a hat-trick, but our best player simply destroyed the Bitters. He was a one-man wrecking ball, and by the time he was finished Everton's defence had more holes than a tramp's sock. He was brutally effective, and his creativity was awesome. Got the goal he deserved with a beautifully placed finish. Merry Xmas Everton! Again.

Origi (9) Don't know what Santa Claus is known as in Belgium, but Divock opened up his big sack of magic and sprayed Yuletide joy everywhere. What an immense 45 minutes from Origi. The first goal was lovely in build-up and execution, but the second was a work of striking art, lifting the ball over Pickford's tiny, stretching arms into the net. He loves playing the Bitters. I'm not sure that feeling is mutual.

Lallana was probably a 5 and Lovren a 6 for me but otherwise spot on.

The off the ball movement was sensational as was the decision making on the ball.

Merry Xmas Everton!

I was feeling generous, so nobody below 6.

YOU BIG MEANIE

I half expected a 10 for Origi, those two goals were flawless.

Klopp gets a 10. A masterstroke, giving your fringe players the responsibly to deliver in arguably the biggest game for locals. And what a pay off.

Someone fucking change that title! IT HAS TO BE ABOUT XMAS!

Anyway, God rest ye merry gentlemen and gather round! For 'tis my RAAAAAAAAAATIIIIINNNNNNGS!

I don't think anyone saw that line-up coming. Yeah maybe Shaq coming in, or Milner, but changing five players from the Brighton game was a huge surprise, but it paid off big time. The first half was, to be blunt, total fucking lunacy. Every shot seemed to fly in, and the game was played fast, loose and in an almost old-school way; tactics, formation, shape and discipline was in scant supply. But when you've got better players, there's only going to be one winner.

Everton started with a strange 5 at the back, which seemed sensible, but only if those players can defend. But the 3 CBs got in eachother's way, and Sidebe can't defend, so it was a shambles. It also meant that Everton only had two central midfielders, and neither of them can tackle, or run, so they were just destroyed by the pace and movement of Liverpool and the extra bodies we had.

There was still some frustration - how many chances did we gift them? - and at one point a glaring miss by Kean could have made it a nerve-jangling 4-3, but justice was done: Everton deserved nothing, and we really should have scored at least two more. As it was, we had to settle for just the five goals. Hohoho!

Adrian (6) Conceded two, but wasn't to blame really. Showed a few insouciant touches, which was nice, but he doesn't allow us to play as high a line, as he isn't as aggressive in his positioning as Allison.

TAA (8) He walked a fine line at times, leaving a foot in here and there, and sometimes his arrogance in possession can be a bit dangerous, but how it pays off! Some of his passing was enough to bring joy to the world. So instrumental in everything good about this Liverpool side.

Virgil (7) Had a decent tussle with Calvert-Lewin, but was unusually slack in some of his positioning in that first 45 minutes. Much better after the break, as things calmed down a bit and he was more in control. Some lovely passes too, but it would be nice to see him get back to his very best, and quick.

Lovren (7) This was in many ways a classic Lovren display; some jarring mistakes and then a brilliant challenge (one of which left DCL gasping). And then there was that pass, delivered from deep, crisp and evenly, right into the path of Big Div.

Robertson (7) Wasn't in the mood to show much goodwill to any Everton players, as he snarled and bristled at anything in blue. Soon got the measure of Iwobi, and cowed him into complete invisibility. Still not at his best level, although that might due to his injury.

Milner (7) A typically solid and hard-working display, with the usual sprinkling of classic Milner "reducers" thrown in. Perhaps a bit too frenetic at times, but more measured and accurate with his passing after half-time.

Wijnaldum (8) Like Milner, was a bit awry with some of his passing, but took total control of the midfield as the game went on. Showed some immense strength in possession, as Everton tried, and failed, to get the ball off him. It was like watching a 10 year old playing against his Dad in the back garden at times. Scored a very deserved fifth goal with a lovely finish after Firmino left half the Everton team looking the wrong way.

Lallana (6) Worked hard and harassed the wobbling Everton defenders well from a more advanced position. Some decent use of the ball, but nothing hugely creative. But for fuck's sake, please stop doing those Lallana Turns* and giving the ball away. (*they're like Cruyff turns, but performed in your own half and often results in getting robbed)

Shaqiri (8) Don't call it a comeback, but he knocked Everton the fuck out with that crucial second goal. He was a bit in and out for the first 45 minutes apart from that, but was a great outlet in the second half, and used his array of flicks, feints and tricks to bleed out any resistance Everton had left.

Mane (9) I was furious with him at times, because he should have got a hat-trick, but our best player simply destroyed the Bitters. He was a one-man wrecking ball, and by the time he was finished Everton's defence had more holes than a tramp's sock. He was brutally effective, and his creativity was awesome. Got the goal he deserved with a beautifully placed finish. Merry Xmas Everton! Again.

Origi (9) Don't know what Santa Claus is known as in Belgium, but Divock opened up his big sack of magic and sprayed Yuletide joy everywhere. What an immense 45 minutes from Origi. The first goal was lovely in build-up and execution, but the second was a work of striking art, lifting the ball over Pickford's tiny, stretching arms into the net. He loves playing the Bitters. I'm not sure that feeling is mutual.

Excellent reading as usual. That final picture of Divock spraying his yuletide joy is no where near as messed up as the Belgian / Dutch Zwarte Piet tradition alongside Sinterklaas.

Love your ratings. Must admit I had to google "insouciant" though.

you could’ve saved me a google

insouciant
/ɪnˈsuːsɪənt,ɪnˈsuːsɪɒ̃/

adjective
  1. showing a casual lack of concern.
    "an insouciant shrug"

Mane looked like he played about 6 divisions above them last night, Silva and the men before him have built a tower of shite in that Everyon squad.

Just watched Holgates and Shaq’s interviews.

Both came across really well especially Shaq.

I love his attitude.

I loved how DCL never got a blatant penalty. Payback for his dive 2 years ago.

Also how Firmino sent Holgate out of the stadium with that turn for Gini's goal. Payback for that FA cup game 2 years ago, when he pushed Bobby into the crowd.

lifting the ball over Pickford's tiny

fc54bd8f1532f06aef3d295d6fa3863a.jpg

Trent was quite reckless and could easily have been sent off. He was also allowing to much play coming in from his side. Too kind score.

Immense credit has to be given to Klopp though.

We all were nervous when we saw the line up.

But when you think about it, that side was basically the side that battered Barcelona. The front 3 anyway. Only this time we had Bobby/Mo on the bench.

Sadio and Trent are next up for a rest. I reckon it'll be this weekend.

Pickford is a poor keeper and was poor for at least three of our goals last night

Pickford is such an average GK. He's like Mignolet, only with smaller arms.

England are winning fcukall with him in goal.

How much did they pay for him again?

Immense credit has to be given to Klopp though.

We all were nervous when we saw the line up.

But when you think about it, that side was basically the side that battered Barcelona. The front 3 anyway. Only this time we had Bobby/Mo on the bench.

Sadio and Trent are next up for a rest. I reckon it'll be this weekend.

And VVD and Lovren

I said it before the game, but watching it was even more stark. I think Everton might be the slowest side I have ever seen.

The difference between our players, and how quickly they think, control the ball and move, and the Everton players was incredible. It was brutally obvious in midfield, with Sigurdsson and Davies simply bypassed at will, and then Iwobi got outpaced by James Milner!

They looked technically deficient and lacking fitness. They were blowing and also struggled to trap and pass a ball, without taking about 5 touches.

Pickford is a poor keeper and was poor for at least three of our goals last night

I am no expert on goalkeeping, but for the first goal I was thinking he sell himself by going to high there? Amazing pass though and he would have cleared it if it was a yard closer to him.

I am no expert on goalkeeping, but for the first goal I was thinking he sell himself by going to high there? Amazing pass though and he would have cleared it if it was a yard closer to him.

He was in exactly the wrong place for that first goal, totally exposed, not checking Origi's run in any way. It was fucking horrible keeping.

And VVD and Lovren
CBs do the least running in the team. I expect them to play every game throughout this run of games. Maybe get a rest in the WCC Semi.

Robbo, Mane and Trent are the next 3. But I don't think we can not start both FBs in the same game.

Away to Bournemouth, we need Robbo more than Trent, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomez/Milner start at RB.

Following weekend, home to Watford, we need Trent's creativity. Robbo can be rested there.

He was in exactly the wrong place for that first goal, totally exposed, not checking Origi's run in any way. It was fucking horrible keeping.

Agreed. For both Origi's goals, he was caught in between coming and staying. The perfect halfway house. And I am a GK coach FWIW.

For Mane's goal, I was surprised how casually he stroked that in. It didn't even look that powerful. And yet Pickford was stretching for it desperately and everything.

He must have really short arms. I'd be disappointed if Ali was beaten by such a shot, without at least getting something on it.

Divock may have scored 2 goals, for me Mane is a10 despite missing 2 sitters, he did score 1. He created 2 beautiful goals, literally placing them on the plate for Divock and Shag.

For the first goal I thought Mane would pass it to Shaq who was open in the middle.

Fourth goal I thought Trent would pass it to Shaq.

Both times they ignored the easier pass and both times we scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom