• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

John W Henry Speaks On The New Stadium Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it wasn't for gillette and hicks these guys would get a lot more crictism for their delays in making a decision on redevelopment/new stadium

I've probably got something mad wrong here because this is overheard in the pub and then maths off the top of my head, but if Sky just paid 3bn for 300 matches then that's 10m each. At Anfield the average ticket price must be around 65 quid and the average attendance is around 40,000, so the gate receipts are around 2.5m. Even if they doubled that with 70,000 people and lots more corporate it's still half what they're getting off the TV. And all the extra money just ends up going on massive contracts for players.

Say for example we stuck an extra 15,000 people in the ground for the whole season, that's less than 20m quid. I'd guess with the debt repayments you'd get less than half of that. Just don't spend 20m quid on wank like Henderson and Downing and you don't need a new stadium.

That makes no sense, so you want us to be back in debt?

No, I'd like the owners to be in debt to fund the stadium.

If they truly believe they can get us to where we belong then they can take money out to their heart's content provided we stay competitive.

No, I'd like the owners to be in debt to fund the stadium.

If they truly believe they can get us to where we belong then they can take money out to their heart's content provided we stay competitive.
That makes no sense either, why should they be in debt? It serves no purpose other than feeding the debt collectors.

The new stadium, as Henry has said, is a bit of a white elephant. Good if it happens but it won't be the saviour for LFC financials. Winning trophies and selling merchandise is.

That makes no sense either, why should they be in debt? It serves no purpose other than feeding the debt collectors.

The new stadium, as Henry has said, is a bit of a white elephant. Good if it happens but it won't be the saviour for LFC financials. Winning trophies and selling merchandise is.

Because they're then showing faith in us.

Moores sold because he couldn't fund the stadium as he wasn't wealthy enough, ergo, the owners should be able to fund it, except they arent willing to, they want the club too. I don't mind us paying for it once we're back in the CL on a regular basis & challenging for honours every season so the club can afford too, they're responsibility is to bridge the gap in the meantime.

If you bought a small business that's what you'd do, but these guys just arent willing to, which annoys me, & worries me a little.

Moores sold because he couldn't fund the stadium as he wasn't wealthy enough, ergo, the owners should be able to fund it, except they arent willing to, they want the club too. I don't mind us paying for it once we're back in the CL on a regular basis & challenging for honours every season so the club can afford too, they're responsibility is to bridge the gap in the meantime.

If you bought a small business that's what you'd do, but these guys just arent willing to, which annoys me, & worries me a little.
They've showed enough faith by getting rid of the huge debt the club was in, they've also played a way more sensible game than Moores or H&G in terms of the getting sponsors (Standard Chartered and Warrior), structuring the management and staff.

They are looking to get a correct business model in rather than pump in cash that could leave them insolvent and thus leave LFC insolvent.

Financial sense and good business acumen rather than a display of faith is what we want and they're doing it. Running LFC is not a small business, the numbers don't stack up for Henry and co to invest their own money.

Incorrect.

Moores owned 51% of the club. He couldn't finance a stadium unless a rights issue was to take place. That would usually require a 75% majority vote amongst shareholders. That was never really going to happen.

The only option open to him was to look for the club to borrow. Which wasn't possible then, wasn't possible under H&G and still isn't possible now.

Incorrect.

Moores owned 51% of the club. He couldn't finance a stadium unless a rights issue was to take place. That would usually require a 75% majority vote amongst shareholders. That was never really going to happen.

The only option open to him was to look for the club to borrow. Which wasn't possible then, wasn't possible under H&G and still isn't possible now.

And back then the reported cost of a new stadium was 'only' 80m odd quid. Sigh...

Building a brand new stadium was always not just about the football club but about trying to improve physically a sunken area and to generate a working economy. It was the conclusion reached after a painful process sparked by uproar when those original 1999 plans were exposed, involving an expanded Anfield, a commercial area for the club in the same corner proposed to be cleared now and the demolition of 1,800 homes about which no resident had been consulted.

After that a detailed community structure was established to ensure full consultation with the residents. The proposed new 60,000-seat stadium on Stanley Park emerged from that, approaching 10 years ago. Liverpool came to the conclusion they could build better facilities, including enough corporate dining to make money in Manchester United proportions, if the club moved from Anfield, its hemmed-in home since 1892. The site of the current ground was then going to be developed into "Anfield Plaza", with shops, restaurants and office space, to attract visitors and, it was hoped, generate jobs for local people.

Liverpool, then 51% owned by the Littlewoods Pools family scion, David Moores, and run by the chief executive, Rick Parry, were anxious, however, about borrowing the money to build it. Parry believed that, even if rich men taking over were not actually going to provide the money needed, they would at least stand behind borrowing it, and it is still remarkable to reflect that Liverpool was sold only to finance the new stadium. The result was the Tom Hicks and George Gillett takeover. They paid £174m for the club, Moores receiving £89m for his shares; they described it as a "multi-generational commitment" by their families but had borrowed the money from Royal Bank of Scotland for only 12 months. They promised a spade in the ground within 60 days to build the new stadium but then said global financial conditions meant they could not borrow the money required.

When RBS in effect installed Martin Broughton as the Liverpool chairman in April 2010 to sell the club, he said explicitly that he would seek new owners who would build that new stadium: "We want to do the right thing for Liverpool and a new stadium is doing the right thing," he said. "It will add long-term value to the club and, if we are looking for a new owner, that is something they will have to accept."

However, after Henry and his Fenway Sports Group emerged victorious from the bitter October 2010 court battle to buy Liverpool, Henry said from the beginning he did not want to build it. The economics of spending around £300m effectively to fund 15,000 new seats(although there would also be commercial areas in a new stadium) did not make financial sense, Henry said. Liverpool maintain they still have the new stadium option open but the demolition plans strongly point to Anfield being expanded instead.

In the club's accounts for 2010-11 £49m was written off relating to the new stadium, adding to £10m previously in 2010, making £59m seemingly wasted. The council, under these plans, would take care of the right-to-light issues and negotiate with residents, possibly backed by compulsory purchase orders if any stubbornly refuse to go. That is also a source of unhappiness among some, who believe Liverpool should negotiatie upfront themselves. Liverpool declined to comment, saying: "The private discussions and plans that Liverpool Football Club has or may have with residents or other stakeholders are, in our opinion, exactly that: 'private'."

The council's assistant director for regeneration, Mark Kitts, said he is expecting the club to make an announcement by the end of June. It would be a great surprise if that heralds a new stadium, to be built on Stanley Park.

"So we're going to raise ticket prices. Significantly. Let's see how that goes down."

In 1000 articulately presented words and graphs.

The stadium issue is one of the areas for which I wouldn't fault FSG. It's a huge decision, and it needs to be explored and thought-through as carefully as possible, and, unlike in some other areas, there have been plenty of signs that FSG have been doing that very seriously and assiduously, so I'm quite trusting. I think they'll get it right.

John W. Henry@John_W_Henry
it's Liverpool: Anfieldhttp://petermcgurk.blogspot.com/search/label/Anfield

Keep calm and carry on walking on

Anfield will always be the place for passion and strong emotion but the tumult and riotous assembly off the pitch had been too much for too long.

The restoration of a Peter Robinson-like calm was needed. We need more right steps in more of the right order - a measured pace for a now generation. FSG’s legacy continues to build.

The quiet and considered de-bunking of the stadium myth is the case in point. The club has charged about hither and tither. This way. That way. Higher, higher! More, more! - actually, less and less.

Even if the stadium had worked it wouldn’t have made the difference. It is not the be all and end all. It’s not the whole deal. Chasing Arsenal’s money is not it. Doubling the money from the stadium is not it. A total turnover (tv, commercial, matchday) ahead of Bayern, Barca and Real Madrid. That’s it.

And Anfield is it. Investing clever money where loadsamoney don’t work. We are quietly and inexorably moving towards a renewed Anfield in a renewed club in a renewed community.

We know we have to bring more money into the ground. We know we can’t wring any more money from hard-pressed pockets. The club can’t ask much more of us individually but the club can sell more of what we’ve got to more like us.

Not especially boxes. Liverpool is not that kind of place. Not especially that kind of fan. Premium seats yes - plenty of them. With great hospitality packages. Not more expensive. More of them.

Better standard seats yes, with better bars and sports bars and tv bars and, and... and cheaper seats for families and kids - with their own cafes. Their own comings and goings. Their place in a wider pricing structure. A multitude of ‘price entry points’. Something for everyone.

Something for the pub culture. Bring the pub into the match. A fan village for the locals - plugged into the stadium. An Anfield treasure trove for visitors. Starting the day earlier. Finishing it later. Making a day of it - or two.

A simple stadium. Not a 'cheap' stadium - a cost-effective stadium. Large blocks of seating. Close to the pitch. Rising sharply. Clear and unobstructed views for everybody. Two 'tiers' on three sides. One Kop. Strong roof line. Dominant. Intimidating.

A masterplan for the next fifty years starting now. Growing as we grow. ‘Finished’ at every stage - stopping when we have enough.

It would be a great stadium. An awesome stadium. And all the better for being Anfield.

Agree with all that.

If thats the lines Henry is thinking on ill be happy. Its the logical way to go & still fits the ethos of our club. I also dont have to shed tears seeing anfield torn down as I did when the Kop went, & shed yet more when I see a soulless bowl on Stanley Park being touted as our new home.

John W. Henry@John_W_Henry
it's Liverpool: Anfieldhttp://petermcgurk.blogspot.com/search/label/Anfield

Keep calm and carry on walking on

Anfield will always be the place for passion and strong emotion but the tumult and riotous assembly off the pitch had been too much for too long.

The restoration of a Peter Robinson-like calm was needed. We need more right steps in more of the right order - a measured pace for a now generation. FSG’s legacy continues to build.

The quiet and considered de-bunking of the stadium myth is the case in point. The club has charged about hither and tither. This way. That way. Higher, higher! More, more! - actually, less and less.

Even if the stadium had worked it wouldn’t have made the difference. It is not the be all and end all. It’s not the whole deal. Chasing Arsenal’s money is not it. Doubling the money from the stadium is not it. A total turnover (tv, commercial, matchday) ahead of Bayern, Barca and Real Madrid. That’s it.

And Anfield is it. Investing clever money where loadsamoney don’t work. We are quietly and inexorably moving towards a renewed Anfield in a renewed club in a renewed community.

We know we have to bring more money into the ground. We know we can’t wring any more money from hard-pressed pockets. The club can’t ask much more of us individually but the club can sell more of what we’ve got to more like us.

Not especially boxes. Liverpool is not that kind of place. Not especially that kind of fan. Premium seats yes - plenty of them. With great hospitality packages. Not more expensive. More of them.

Better standard seats yes, with better bars and sports bars and tv bars and, and... and cheaper seats for families and kids - with their own cafes. Their own comings and goings. Their place in a wider pricing structure. A multitude of ‘price entry points’. Something for everyone.

Something for the pub culture. Bring the pub into the match. A fan village for the locals - plugged into the stadium. An Anfield treasure trove for visitors. Starting the day earlier. Finishing it later. Making a day of it - or two.

A simple stadium. Not a 'cheap' stadium - a cost-effective stadium. Large blocks of seating. Close to the pitch. Rising sharply. Clear and unobstructed views for everybody. Two 'tiers' on three sides. One Kop. Strong roof line. Dominant. Intimidating.

A masterplan for the next fifty years starting now. Growing as we grow. ‘Finished’ at every stage - stopping when we have enough.

It would be a great stadium. An awesome stadium. And all the better for being Anfield.

Wtf is this drivel? Peter McGurk should focus a bit more on presenting some interesting and detailed arguments and a bit less on his mindblowingly pretentious, sub-sixth form style of writing.

Look at the economics of it. Building a 60 000 seater for 300M+ verses expanding Anfield by 15 000. Essential 15 000 new seats for 300M? New stadium = debt which will be offset by naming rights.

Makes sense to refurbish and expand as opposed to building a new stadium.

So let's get to work. It's been two years almost since they came in and saved the day (I'll never forget that fateful October day - what Melodrama)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom