• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jose Enrique for £8m?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=43907.msg1269371#msg1269371 date=1296393928]
A lot of people are under-rating enrique because his first year with Newcastle was bad, but that was because he was part of the worst defence in Premiership in the last 5 years.

He is better than Baines, i think.
[/quote]

You're on drugs.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43907.msg1285319#msg1285319 date=1297691212]
[quote author=RolandG link=topic=43907.msg1285223#msg1285223 date=1297682564]
I watched Enrique bit ove rthe weekend and he is quick with a good eye for a pass but I'd still be inclined to go after Baines. After the Alonso, Mascherano and Torres sagas, I'd opt for the available english player if available.

The Bitters are in a bit of a financial struggle so a decent offer would get things rolling and he wouldn't have to relocate or want to move to another English club in a few years time.
[/quote]

Before we get into any other issues, though, whoever we sign has to be good enough. Baines is little or no better than Magic defensively and less of a threat carrying the ball forward, though he does have a good left foot cross on him. He's also a die-hard bluenose and I very much doubt he'd be willing to come to us even if we wanted him.
[/quote]

Oh JJ, as per Modo - Baines is a bona fide Kopite so even if he wasn't, pay checks usually have a way of levelling the playing fields. He may be marginally better than Magic defensively and maybe that's all the difference we need. Him being a better crosser of the ball from his natural side will make all the difference. For me its a question of price and wanting to play for us.

[quote author=cobrastatus link=topic=43907.msg1269344#msg1269344 date=1296391849]
would everton ever sell baines to us? who was the last player that crossed that divide? it was recent wasn't it (within the last 15 years?)?
[/quote]

I think they'd have to with a decent bid - they're skint.

The only problem would be if we left a bid until late-on in the window.

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=43907.msg1285631#msg1285631 date=1297750319]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43907.msg1285319#msg1285319 date=1297691212]
I watched Enrique bit ove rthe weekend and he is quick with a good eye for a pass but I'd still be inclined to go after Baines. After the Alonso, Mascherano and Torres sagas, I'd opt for the available english player if available.

The Bitters are in a bit of a financial struggle so a decent offer would get things rolling and he wouldn't have to relocate or want to move to another English club in a few years time.
[/quote]

Before we get into any other issues, though, whoever we sign has to be good enough. Baines is little or no better than Magic defensively and less of a threat carrying the ball forward, though he does have a good left foot cross on him. He's also a die-hard bluenose and I very much doubt he'd be willing to come to us even if we wanted him.
[/quote]

Oh JJ, as per Modo - Baines is a bona fide Kopite so even if he wasn't, pay checks usually have a way of levelling the playing fields. He may be marginally better than Magic defensively and maybe that's all the difference we need. Him being a better crosser of the ball from his natural side will make all the difference. For me its a question of price and wanting to play for us.

[/quote]

Got to admit I never knew Baines was a Kopite once, but he's a blue now and I have a vague memory of him saying he wouldn't join us when we were said to be interested before.

Let's agree to differ on whether or not the purchase would make sense. I see what you're saying, but I don't agree that any improvement he'd bring would justify the outlay. We have far more pressing need for that money elsewhere.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43907.msg1285735#msg1285735 date=1297769620]
[quote author=RolandG link=topic=43907.msg1285631#msg1285631 date=1297750319]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Got to admit I never knew Baines was a Kopite once, but he's a blue now and I have a vague memory of him saying he wouldn't join us when we were said to be interested before.

Let's agree to differ on whether or not the purchase would make sense. I see what you're saying, but I don't agree that any improvement he'd bring would justify the outlay. We have far more pressing need for that money elsewhere.
[/quote]

I'd happily settle for Taiwo on a free in order to bring in world class wingers and a DM to go straight into the starting XI.

Enrique, made the two gaols tonight with great crosses and had a good game at the weekend.
Who said he was shit, he is looking more and more like a good player

regards

regards

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=43907.msg1285964#msg1285964 date=1297812453]
Enrique, made the two gaols tonight with great crosses and had a good game at the weekend.

regards

regards
[/quote]

Crikey, a double regards. You meant business with that post.

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=43907.msg1285964#msg1285964 date=1297812453]

regards

regards
[/quote]

I think it was Gutierrez with the assists?

Enrique is having another fine season although he was caught out by a long ball the other week which was a bit amatuerish.

Any chance we could get Baines from Everton?

He's quality, and he's wasting a way across Stanley Park.

Baines is a good attacking full back who is quite poor defensively. Have a look at the goals Everton conceed and a lot of them come from his side. Enrique is a decent enough full back, quite pacey, good technique and solid defensively. Is he the type of player we should be looking at? I'd rather get Taiwo on a free tbh.

But Ryans shite comment is a loooooooong way of the mark.

Liverpool - Jose Enrique nears Anfield switch, reports claim
By Will Haine February 25, 2011

According to talkSPORT, reports in the Spanish press claim the 25-year-old is poised to seal a switch to Anfield in the summer after the two clubs agreed a fee in the region of £6 million.

Enrique's contract is set to expire in 2012 and it appears Newcastle are ready to cash-in on the Spaniard after Liverpool made their interest known.

Manchester United have also been linked with a move for Enrique - as have Aston Villa - but Liverpool look to have won the race for his signature.

Liverpool have been in the market for a recognised and reliable left-back in order to permanently fill the problematic role.

I just want a decent fullback that can actually defend and who will improve us.

£6M is a snip!

Very, he's been one of the best left backs in the league this season. Onlly 25 and will improve massivly with better players around him. I like the fact that he's 6"2 and pacey. We need more players like that. No more short fat arses.

Has he improved? He looked a bit shit when I first saw him play.

I thought he was a bit sluggish so it's odd to hear now that he is quite pacy.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=43907.msg1291337#msg1291337 date=1298655912]
Has he improved? He looked a bit shit when I first saw him play.

I thought he was a bit sluggish so it's odd to hear now that he is quite pacy.
[/quote]

He's improved massivly since his first apperances in the league two years ago. Seems as though the Championship has done wonders in maturing him. Looks very good at the moment, and if I remember correctly he was extremely highely rated in Spain when Newcastle signed him. Starting to live up to that now.

I'm actually unsure whether Enrique is any better than Konchesky, he's that fucking ordinary.

Guarantee if we sign him, after 6 months everyone of you will be like 'aye he's shit, another waste of 6m, how's riise doing in serie a?'

I just think I need to see a few Newcastle games because my only recollection of him was from his first year in the Prem and he was awful back then.

And if he was that highly regarded in Spain, why did no-one bring him back after Newcastle got relegated?

[quote author=keniget link=topic=43907.msg1291392#msg1291392 date=1298659376]
And if he was that highly regarded in Spain, why did no-one bring him back after Newcastle got relegated?
[/quote]

Just in general relation to keni's 2nd point, reports last yr mentioned that La Liga posted debt of £3b, with Numancia being the only club other than Barca and RM, to make an operating profit - with one major factor being their lack of collective television deal. Not sure how many of them can meet Mike Ashley's demand.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43907.msg1291406#msg1291406 date=1298660180]
[/quote]

Just in general relation to keni's 2nd point, reports last yr mentioned that La Liga posted debt of £3b, with Numancia being the only club other than Barca and RM, to make an operating profit - with one major factor being their lack of collective television deal. Not sure how many of them can meet Mike Ashley's demand.
[/quote]

All that combined with him not being very good.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=43907.msg1291412#msg1291412 date=1298660510]
[quote author=Binny link=topic=43907.msg1291406#msg1291406 date=1298660180]
[/quote]

[/quote]

All that combined with him not being very good.
[/quote]

Case closed then. Coentrao FTW.

Ryan, you're so far off here that it's untrue. Not any better than Konchesky?

Watch a couple of Newcastle games mate, he's been very good all season.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=43907.msg1291597#msg1291597 date=1298719425]
Ryan, you're so far off here that it's untrue. Not any better than Konchesky?

Watch a couple of Newcastle games mate, he's been very good all season.
[/quote]

I've been watching him for 3 years.

watched him today against bolton and he was very very good great feet to go past players and good crosser of the ball.

[quote author=aquaman4 link=topic=43907.msg1291718#msg1291718 date=1298740399]
watched him today against bolton and he was very very good great feet to go past players and good crosser of the ball.
[/quote]

Indeed, very good today aswell.
As I said earlier, one of the best left backs in the league this season.

was he shit in the championship ryan? or was he shit before they got relegated and you're guessnig he was shit in the championship?

i didn't watch him in the championship or much this season so i have no justfiable opinion on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom