• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Just in case any of yiz "forgot" about it...

Whaddapie

0007e56d-642.jpg

Mayo choke on the big stage again.

Fair play to the Dubs though, the better side and more desperate for the win. Cluxton's the most influential player in the game.

Two things
1) Why did the Mayo player take the point when his side were two points down with about 30 seconds left on the clock? Surely he needed to go for a goal?
2) What type of name is Bastick?

Two things
1) Why did the Mayo player take the point when his side were two points down with about 30 seconds left on the clock? Surely he needed to go for a goal?
2) What type of name is Bastick?

1) I was wondering that too, I guess it's because it was about a one in a million chance of getting a goal, so taking the point and hoping they got a quick win of the kick out and could scrape a draw, may have been the better choice. I dunno, I think they hadn't a hope either way at that stage.
2) A Sur name.

taking the point and hoping they got a quick win of the kick out and could scrape a draw, may have been the better choice
That's what my dad said. I would have thought punting it into the box and hoping a team mate can get their hands on it would have been a better option.

Never heard the name Bastick before.

That's what my dad said. I would have thought punting it into the box and hoping a team mate can get their hands on it would have been a better option.

Never heard the name Bastick before.

Dublin had close to 15 men between him and the goal. They were never going to get a goal from it. One in a million shot. It was all but game over really.

I wonder did he ask the referee if they had enough left to grab 2 points.

You could see him asking his team mates, "what will I do, what will I do", I guess none of them really knew what to do, so he took the easy option... If it was hurling, he definitely would have gone for it, in football not so much.

If he didnt spend nearly a minute and a half over the two frees in injury time there might have been an argument for taking two points but he was 20 seconds over the allocated time for injury time taking the second one. Going for goal was the only option really.

I'll tell you why he took the point.

Because Mayo were happy to be close. That's all. A 1 point loss wasn't bad.

And that sums up Mayo. All-Ireland final after all-ireland final, and they serve up fuck all determination to win. Where was the desperation to win? The fucking 'at-all-costs' attitude? Even Horan standing on the sideline with 2 minutes to go giving fuck all. Why were there no instructions barked on? Why were successive free's allowed to be casually dropped over the bar?

Because Mayo aren't winners. Happy to get a day out in Croke Park and a "well didn't you do well to get within 1 point of the Mighty Dubs?" pat on the back.

Contrast that to the attitude of Cluxton, or Bernard Brogan, or any Tyrone or Kerry side that gets to Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday of September - all of them would sell their fucking grandmother to win.

But not Mayo. In it for the fun. They'll win fuck all.

The guy who runs The James Joyce bar in Athens is from Mayo and flew home for it as he managed to secure a ticket.

He's also a huge United fan.

Sunday wasn't a good day for him.

He gives me free pints though so I'll go easy on him the next time I see him.

The guy who runs The James Joyce bar in Athens is from Mayo and flew home for it as he managed to secure a ticket.

He's also a huge United fan.

Sunday wasn't a good day for him.

He gives me free pints though so I'll go easy on him the next time I see him.

I flew home for it when Down got there 3 years ago. Flight out of Melbourne on Friday morning, flight back from Dublin-Melbourne on Monday morning. Felt like death, cost me thousands, fucking wrecked, and they lost.

I flew home for it when Down got there 3 years ago. Flight out of Melbourne on Friday morning, flight back from Dublin-Melbourne on Monday morning. Felt like death, cost me thousands, fucking wrecked, and they lost.

That's horrible.

Another point I would like to make about (Gaelic) football is when the ball is loose and you have several players scrambling for the ball, all of them trying to pick it up with their toe but invariably they get pushed off the ball. Why don't they just kick it to a team mate who isn't in the melee so they can get possession back? Is there some sort of aversion to be seen using a move they would associate with 'soccer'?

I was on a pitch before and a team mate headered the ball. He was slaughtered. Ha.

Back
Top Bottom