• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

'Kelleher has waited to deputise. His patience should be reciprocated.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

are we back?

Active
Thought this was a great line from Dan Morgan.
(and don't forget, it's pronounced Queeveen)

WE’RE approaching the time of year when consumerism takes over.
Life can be pretty set. Everything can generally work. But we look around and believe there are better gadgets to play with.
Liverpool both gave and took against LASK last night. The scoreline suggested gluttony on their part, but it was a more reciprocal affair than the headline suggests.
Both Caoimhín Kelleher and Jarell Quansah played integral roles in ensuring there was no early Christmas miracle in L4 and Liverpool topped their Europa League group as expected.
In both, there were moments when you could see genuine maturity and a shifting of body which mimicked both Alisson Becker and Virgil van Dijk in how they defended.
They’re not those players, of course. Although Quansah has been a quiet success of 2023-24 in that he looks every inch of quality you’d have wanted Liverpool to go and buy as fourth or fifth choice centre-back.
Kelleher, however, has found himself in a slightly more peculiar space, notably among some supporters’ perceptions of him in recent months.
Doubts about his ceiling and general ability have surfaced after a couple of what were, in truth, nothing less than six out of ten performances last season.
He is entitled to them and has mitigation in the form of he’s not a regular performer for Liverpool because one of the world’s very best plays in front of him.
There are also the games he was selected in to factor. His only league start came in the lost 4-4 on the final day against Southampton.
Kelleher’s most appearances in a single campaign before this one came in 2021-21, when he played eight games of the quadruple push. He is currently already on seven.
With Alisson’s muscle strain ruling him out for what is hoped to be only weeks, Kelleher will most likely have broken this appearance record by Christmas and have a much higher calibre of league experience under his belt.
Two Premier League appearances in 2021-22 provided the only real statistical view we have of him. He outperformed league average on certain things like shot stopping (in the 97 percentile). But could improve on factors like positive outcomes (41 to 54 percentile).
The 25-year-old exists in an odd space of not having the rhythm and momentum Jürgen Klopp insists on mentioning when talking about form, but also something else.
Goalkeepers are a rare commodity. Their barometer of quality and perception can shift quickly with supporters and pundits alike.
Sometimes you see this seep into decision making at clubs. Financial complexity excused, how many Manchester United supporters, and potentially players, would have David De Gea in goal right now over Andre Onana?
More pertinently, how much better off would United, Arsenal and Chelsea all be if they didn’t change tack and decide they can do things differently?
There is an ever-increasing notion that we have no idea what we want from goalkeepers like Kelleher, but we know exactly what we don’t want.
Of course, what we really want is an immortal Alisson. To remain in leggings and gorgeous Liverpool black with his array of styles forevermore and sort everything goalkeeping related.
Right now, Liverpool have a more than able deputy who shouldn’t invoke any panic or unjust criticism when called on simply because he isn’t the other fella.
We’ve just entered the month of big shiny things wrapped up in a bow. The month where we think we can have the next best gadget and it’s better than what we already have.
Mostly, it isn’t and we’re just bored, at worst greedy. There’s a beauty in looking around and nurturing what is already there. It should be something to savour.
Kelleher has waited to deputise. His patience should be reciprocated.

Dan.

[article]Right now, Liverpool have a more than able deputy who shouldn’t invoke any panic or unjust criticism when called on simply because he isn’t the other fella.[/article]

Just realised Kelleher is already 25 yrs old and hasn't had a single season playing regular senior football.

Never really rated him above being a decent #2 and since that 4-4 at Soton (which he was at fault for like 3 of the goals) he's been terrible.

Never really rated him above being a decent #2 and since that 4-4 at Soton (which he was at fault for like 3 of the goals) he's been terrible.

He certainly lost a bit of confidence somewhere along the line, maybe that day, possibly before. Can't be easy coming in to replace the best keeper in the world, hopefully a run of games will help.

Hopefully Achterberg can fix a few things behind the scenes with the lad. Keepers who lose confidence often don't recover it quickly

Would anyone be tempted to recall .....can't believe I'm about to fucking say this......recall Adrian back for Sheffield?

Or maybe see what Pitaluga can do?

Today gave me flashbacks to Karius/Bogdan/Mignolet levels of shit.

Are we blaming him for both goals?
I'm blaming him for the first and second, 100%

The third is pretty much the entire back 4's fault.....Gomez far too slow to go out, Ibou just being a twat and Kostas letting a midget outjump him. Virgil showed absolutely no leadership at all today, easily the worst game he's had for us this season.

I'm blaming him for the first and second, 100%

The third is pretty much the entire back 4's fault.....Gomez far too slow to go out, Ibou just being a twat and Kostas letting a midget outjump him. Virgil showed absolutely no leadership at all today, easily the worst game he's had for us this season.

Agreed on that third goal. Konate was slow too... and CK He might have been a wee bit unlucky for both. I'm holding judgement but he was shaky with his feet at times too.

Made a great initial save and saved a goal for that Tim Ream follow up that was disallowed. Some other good saves. He's worth a game or two of indulgence.

no because that would send the wrong signals to the lad, just let him have a run of games and see how he does

Completely agree with this. Let him play himself out of it.

We need to figure out what he is: a solid backup, Ali's eventual successor, a prime asset to cash in on, or a distressed asset to ship out (potentially on loan).

Completely agree with this. Let him play himself out of it.

We need to figure out what he is: a solid backup, Ali's eventual successor, a prime asset to cash in on, or a distressed asset to ship out (potentially on loan).
All GK have howlers, and despite those blunders, I would much rather have Irish Kev between the sticks than Adrian who does a great impression of a terrified cat when the ball approaches him.
Come summer, we should cash in on him and get a more experienced keeper who is happy to be number 2.
Brazilian, probably available for €5-10m in Jan as his contract ends in 12M. Obviously Adrian has to go

It might be harsh but clubs at the top end of the table - particularly given the standards of this league right now - don't have the luxury of allowing players to find themselves on the pitch for an extended period of time.

Kelleher deserves a shot for sure but it probably needs to be at a different club, that is, if he wants to make something of himself.

We are way too open. Yes Kelleher had a stinker, but he's the second goalie behind someone who is irreplaceable. Just decent is going to be the best we can do, and at times he's been better than that. If he can just get back to par it will be fine.

I'm more alarmed at us being completely open, with acres and acres of space. You keep doing that and we will be seeing people angry at the keeper and all sorts of individual defenders. We need to control a game, not always be one relatively easy pass away from sprinting toward our own goal.

What do you expect from a goalie who’s hardly played a full 90 ? Some of you need to come off your FF and give the lad a break.

He’s just game rusty and will get better the more he plays.

We are way too open. Yes Kelleher had a stinker, but he's the second goalie behind someone who is irreplaceable. Just decent is going to be the best we can do, and at times he's been better than that. If he can just get back to par it will be fine.

I'm more alarmed at us being completely open, with acres and acres of space. You keep doing that and we will be seeing people angry at the keeper and all sorts of individual defenders. We need to control a game, not always be one relatively easy pass away from sprinting toward our own goal.
Playing a RB would help. It'd help a lot actually as that's every teams route to our players sprinting back to stop a breakaway goal.

As we've seen when we've gone down to 10 and actually set up a defensive shape, teams struggle against us because they don't have the creativity to go through us.....getting at us down the flanks is easy, all you need is an overload on one side (right side) and a few players with pace.

[article]Former Liverpool goalkeeper David James can see Caoimhin Kelleher agonising over his future at Anfield.

Kelleher has been forced back to the bench with Alisson Becker again fully fit.

James told the Liverpool Echo for Lucky Block: "I've met Caoimhin a few times, not that we've sat down for a long chat over a coffee, and he strikes me as someone who is capable in every department. I don't think that is in question.

"But football is a really funny industry in the sense that you don't have to be the No.1 to have a good career. He has probably got more medals than I have and played in more winning finals than I did. Therefore, you could argue he has had a better career than me. I just wanted to play. Leaving Liverpool was not to do with not liking the club, it was related to not knowing I was going to play and I had a great chance to move to Aston Villa.

"For Kelleher to go and be first-choice in a promoted side from the Championship next season, he might get exposed to a lot of things. He will play the games but not get the rewards he is getting at Liverpool by playing fewer games. I wouldn't argue with him either way over what he decides to do. To leave Liverpool would be a big ask for anyone now and if you're going to get to play in League Cup or FA Cup finals, why not do that? When you retire, people might say you played 1000 games but won nothing. If you played 300 games and won ten trophies, that's a different conversation.

"If he's happy getting the odd games and a sustained spell in the team when Alisson gets an injury, then there shouldn't be any intention for him to move. It's only when he gets his chance and performances are substandard because he hasn't played enough that he should then start to ask the question of 'Do I need to play more games to get myself back up?'

"Irrespective of whether I think Alisson is the best keeper in the world, he won't be there forever. Kelleher has got a number of years on him to take his place," continued James. "If the allure of being Liverpool's No.1 in three, four, five or six years from now is still there, why do you want to go somewhere else? If I was with and in the situation I had with Brad Friedel, I would leave. If I was him [Kelleher], being more experienced and realising I had the chance to take over as first-choice, I would hang around or have a good conversation with the club over a short-term loan. He is in a good spot and it will be a difficult ask for him to have to think about going to play somewhere else."[/article]

I'll think you'll find it's pronounced Caoimhín.

I still can’t see his name and not think he should be know as Calomine “The Lotion” Kelleher.

I’m sure there’s a cracking song to be had there to the tune of The Locomotion”.

I still can’t see his name and not think he should be know as Calomine “The Lotion” Kelleher.

I’m sure there’s a cracking song to be had there to the tune of The Locomotion”.
See, the funny part of my joke is that there are different pronunciations of his name according to which Irish dialect you're speaking. Ulster Irish would pronounce it Kee-veen, whereas the doirty Dubs say kwee-veen.

I'm wasted on you lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom