• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leicester For The Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazy examples. His similarities with Kuyt are that he works tirelessly but it ends there really. He's quicker, can strike a ball better and Kuyt never came close to the levels of goals Vardy is scoring this year.

Neither did Vardy before this year. In fact, before this season, Vardy had scored 5 Premiership goals in his entire career, I think it's fair to assume that if Vardy manages to get near Kuyts career total, he'll be doing well.

It's a fucking shit example because Kuyt had no pace whatsoever, and played much of his Premiership career in a wide position. He was also a full International at about the same age as Vardy was when he was playing for Fleetwood town.

Arn is a funny but genuinely awful poster, and almost everything he suggests, comments on, or makes a comparison about, is total fucking gibberish

I would say that very much of their success, Leicester, is down to excellent scouting. They want team players. They don't want big egos. Ranieri is average handling big ego players but excellent making average players play better than they are. A little bit like Rafa.

That is the reason to why he hasn't been that successful. Leicester fits him perfectly. Ranieri will never be a success at a big club with a lot of big egos. Look at the players Rafa signed for us. Team player after team player. Not a lot of big egos. Yes, Torres was a fantastic team player back then. Rafa was perfect for us back then because we didn't had a lot of big egos in the squad.

Football will always be a team game.

Ranieri has been a bang average manager his whole career dude - he's not won anything and been at so many big clubs it's crazy. There's a reason everyone is laughing at his success now as both Ryan and Brendan mocked him continuously et presto, they could very well win the league.

Have you watched Napoli this year? The team that couldn't even get into the CL last year with those little egos is now top of Serie A ... and look at their defensive record ... Crazy eh?

Football is a team game, yes.

Ranieri has been a bang average manager his whole career dude - he's not won anything and been at so many big clubs it's crazy. There's a reason everyone is laughing at his success now as both Ryan and Brendan mocked him continuously et presto, they could very well win the league.

Have you watched Napoli this year? The team that couldn't even get into the CL last year with those little egos is now top of Serie A ... and look at their defensive record ... Crazy eh?

Football is a team game, yes.
Ranieri has not been a bang average manager his whole career at all, his spell at Chelsea was pretty successful for starters... In fact you could argue that since he had arranged the signings of duff robbed and drogba he was in the main responsible for mourinhos first league title on these shores...

I realize that the influx of money throughout the league has caused much greater parity and the bigger clubs have been dawdling for a good few years but nonetheless... If Leicester win the league it will be the biggest shock a major league has ever seen.

Ranieri has not been a bang average manager his whole career at all, his spell at Chelsea was pretty successful for starters... In fact you could argue that since he had arranged the signings of duff robbed and drogba he was in the main responsible for mourinhos first league title on these shores...

Club teams he's managed:

Chelsea
Valencia
Parma
Juventus
Roma
Inter Milan
Monaco

We can all agree the above are all top class teams, right?

Managerial honors:

Valencia: UEFA Intertoto Cup (1998), Copa del Rey (1998–99) UEFA Super Cup (2004)
Monaco, Ligue 2 (2012–13)

His overall record? 950 games managed, 439 wins, 262 draws, 249 losses. His win percentage is around 46%. That's average.

Club teams he's managed:

Chelsea
Valencia
Parma
Juventus
Roma
Inter Milan
Monaco

Managerial honors:

Valencia: UEFA Intertoto Cup (1998), Copa del Rey (1998–99) UEFA Super Cup (2004)

His overall record? 950 games managed, 439 wins, 262 draws, 249 losses. His win percentage is around 46%. That's average.
Well he's sitting on top of the league today and we're nowhere near so I think we could be a little less sniffy about him.

Well he's sitting on top of the league today and we're nowhere near so I think we could be a little less sniffy about him.

Oh I never really joined in the Ranieri bashing because he comes off (I don't know if he really is or isn't) like a really good bloke ...

Although sickened with envy I'd prefer Leicester to win than any of the others while we are so far out of the race. The major downside I can see is that any future attempts to reintroduce FFP can be combated by Man City & PSG pointing to this fairy-fucking-tale title run and saying Sugar Daddies don't make a difference.
Edit: I know the Leicester owners are quite wedged up but they haven't thrown any thing like the Man City money at the team.

Ok, I want them to win it.

First because it's not Utd.

Second because I don't know a single Leicester fan, so I won't have to listen to them banging on about it. Unlike if Arsenal and their self righteous, entitled fans. Or Utd and hearing 21 times etc.

Thirdly, it's romantic. It's the story of the so called underdog.

Of course now we are starting to actually contemplate it, they'll fail.

Club teams he's managed:

Chelsea
Valencia
Parma
Juventus
Roma
Inter Milan
Monaco

Managerial honors:

He's not even average

If Leicester win it it's because they've accumulated the most points, make peace with that and all your petty jealousies and biases melt away.

The league table doesn't lie. A mantra often repeated by our club in more successful times.

Who is to say they aren't on the cusp of successes because of what they're doing. Their run has gone on too long to be complete fluke, they keep being called on to pass the next test...and they do.

I don't know if they can sustain their progress but if they do they'll have done it fair and square.

If Leicester win it it's because they've accumulated the most points, make peace with that and all your petty jealousies and biases melt away.

The league table doesn't lie. A mantra often repeated by our club in more successful times.

Who is to say they aren't on the cusp of successes because of what they're doing. Their run has gone on too long to be complete fluke, they keep being called on to pass the next test...and they do.

I don't know if they can sustain their progress but if they do they'll have done it fair and square.

I don't think that's the problem most have with it. Everyone knows whoever wins the league deserves to for that season as they won most points over 38 games.

It's the fact that we have f&cked about for 20 odd years without winning it again but have always clung to the belief that it was impossible to win because we couldn't compete with the spending power of the big clubs.

Leicester city winning it means we are out of excuses and even if we somehow do manage to win it in the near future nobody will give it much credit as they will always point back to the fact that the biggest of minnows could do it.

I don't think that's the problem most have with it. Everyone knows whoever wins the league deserves to for that season as they won most points over 38 games.

It's the fact that we have f&cked about for 20 odd years without winning it again but have always clung to the belief that it was impossible to win because we couldn't compete with the spending power of the big clubs.

Leicester city winning it means we are out of excuses and even if we somehow do manage to win it in the near future nobody will give it much credit as they will always point back to the fact that the biggest of minnows could do it.

That's quite a complex reaction and shows you think more about others perception than just being able to enjoy successes. A sense of entitlement and jealousy should have long disappeared by now, I mean it's 25 seasons and counting.

The converse of the spending issue is of course - just imagine how pissed off the likes of Chelski, Citeh and the Scum will be that their massive spends are worthless. But you and I both know that ultimately cash is all, yes there may be the odd fluke (like us almost 2 seasons ago or LCFC now) but generally money talks.

Everyone knows whoever wins the league deserves to for that season as they won most points over 38 games.

I really hate this platitude. It's often a quite obvious falsehood. Until football joins the 21st Century (a la Rugby & Cricket with their review systems) then the outcome of important matches, cup winners and sometimes league champions, will always be subject to the vagaries of refereeing decisions or game-changing unseen incidents.

This quite apart from seasons when the title is decided by goal difference or a point or two, where a moment of outrageous luck; a deflection or a slip or unfortunate OG, can mean the difference in being champions or forgotten as runners-up or even when a horrendous run of injuries can decimate a team, in comparison to their direct competitors suffering few injuries of consequence.

I really hate this platitude. It's often a quite obvious falsehood. Until football joins the 21st Century (a la Rugby & Cricket with their review systems) then the outcome of important matches, cup winners and sometimes league champions, will always be subject to the vagaries of refereeing decisions or game-changing unseen incidents.

This quite apart from seasons when the title is decided by goal difference or a point or two, where a moment of outrageous luck; a deflection or a slip or unfortunate OG, can mean the difference in being champions or forgotten as runners-up or even when a horrendous run of injuries can decimate a team, in comparison to their direct competitors suffering few injuries of consequence.
I don't think Leicester would have had 38 games worth of good luck from refs

They've also had vardy and mahrez out for varying parts of the season.

You can fluke a cup win, you cannot fluke the league

Did you see the lad who put a £5 bet on them winning the league this season as a joke?......................He stands to win £25,000 if they win!!!!

I really hope they do, the league has needed this for a long time.

Yes, it's not luck anymore, it's time to start giving them the respect they have earned for this run - they've been the most consistent team in the league this season.

Yes, it's not luck anymore, it's time to start giving them the respect they have earned for this run - they've been the most consistent team in the league this season.

Totally agree! They've got quality right through the team and they fully deserve to be where they are.......they can have this season, next year's is ours!

Totally agree! They've got quality right through the team and they fully deserve to be where they are.......they can have this season, next year's is ours!

They shown a lot of good form and are set up perfectly for the way they play. The squad is fairly light beyond the first team though, so they'll struggle a bit when they have to contend with European football as well next year, and if they finish 1st-3rd in the league then they will have at least CL group stage. Their run this year, much like Liverpool's season before last, has been facilitated by their lighter fixture list.

Had you placed a tenner before the season began on Leicester to go all the way in the Premier League - and they do - you'd get a handsome payout of 50,000.

That is insane and underlines the magnitude of their achievement should they actually win it all.

If they win the league, it will be deserved. You could point to luck with injury, the amazing collapse of Chelsea and United, and players in the form of their entire careers, but if you finish top, you deserve it.

But it would still be a total, wholly unpredictable and never repeated fluke, and they won't finish Top 4 next season, or anywhere near. There is no lesson to be learned, or strategy to copy, or system to emulate. Because they won't be able to either. And Ranieri isn't a genius, or even a very good manager.

Well done Fabs completely missed the point (hint: I wasn't talking about Leicester).

You may not be able to fluke the league but you can certainly win it ahead of a team that deserved to win it more (due to the reasons I stated above #107).

Last edited:
Well done Fabs completely missed the point (hint: I wasn't talking about Leicester).

You may not be able to fluke the league but you can certainly win it ahead of a team that deserved to win it more (due to the reasons I stated above).

So, you can't fluke it, but you can get lucky?

True to a point. But there are also plenty of games throughout a season where the runners-up could have made more of their advantage. For every slip at Chelsea, there is throwing a 3-0 lead away at Crystal Palace. If a team finishes first, it is because they have maximised their resources over the course of an entire season, their achievement certainly shouldn't be diminished due to how many injuries they or their competitors suffer - that's just the rub of the green.

True to a point. But there are also plenty of games throughout a season where the runners-up could have made more of their advantage. For every slip at Chelsea, there is throwing a 3-0 lead away at Crystal Palace. If a team finishes first, it is because they have maximised their resources over the course of an entire season, their achievement certainly shouldn't be diminished due to how many injuries they or their competitors suffer - that's just the rub of the green.
I'm not for one moment saying this is the case every season. But just looking back at winners and runners-up of the PL we can often spot those that got a little bit more luck, whether via the injury list, extreme examples of luck, poor refereeing decisions etc. .... and before some dildo says it evens out over the season .. does it fuck !

I'm not for one moment saying this is the case every season. But just looking back at winners and runners-up of the PL we can often spot those that got a little bit more luck, whether via the injury list, extreme examples of luck, poor refereeing decisions etc. .... and before some dildo says it evens out over the season .. does it fuck !

Oh come on! Luck definitely evens out over a season ;)

I wouldn't call it luck though, although I guess that's arguing semantics. Leicester are not the only team in the league that could have benefitted from traditional top four performing poorly, lack of injuries, more rest time but they are the only ones that have made the most of it.

They got a bit of a helping hand on the way with general circumstances where they stand in the table right now, but they deserve it. You can only play what is in front of you and Leicester have been better than the rest.

I think you do have a bit of a point, but when it comes to Leicester I can only think of injuries to other teams and their fixture list. I've not followed them enough to know if they have benefitted from other examples, have they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom