• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool is my home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
I can't forget the fans and the success. Liverpool is my home... but now I have to beat them!

By MATT BARLOW
PUBLISHED: 22:10 GMT, 18 April 2013 | UPDATED: 22:39 GMT, 18 April 2013

Rafa Benitez has not made a habit of going back. He has never taken a team back to Valencia, where he won two Spanish titles, and he has yet to return to Inter Milan but on Sunday he will take Chelsea to Liverpool

Rafa’s return will be a love-in to test his emotional strength and his ability to remain inside a professional shell. The Kop will sing his name and familiar faces will trigger a cascade of memories from six successful years at Anfield.

The date sprang out as soon as he studied the schedule of fixtures after accepting the interim job at Stamford Bridge.

‘A special week,’ he acknowledged, the week of his 53rd birthday, the 24th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, the first since the truth was unveiled, and his first return to a club where he remains a hero.

He won the Champions League and the FA Cup and won hearts with his readiness to scrap: he tackled Sir Alex Ferguson and Everton; he even waded into the political dispute between Liverpool’s co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

And, of course, he sparred with Jose Mourinho during an unfeasible series of games against Chelsea, a team storming the established powers to win their first title in half a century while trying to prise away his captain Steven Gerrard.

article-2311345-02A504CF0000044D-615_634x388.jpg

Instant hit: Benitez delivered a Champions League win in his first season in charge at Anfield

Nearly three years after leaving Anfield, Benitez goes back with Chelsea, determined to secure three points and stay on track for a top-three finish.
Has going back ever been more complicated? ‘I will try to do the best for my team and that is Chelsea,’ said Benitez. ‘I am a professional and that is what I have to do. I cannot forget the time I spent there and the feeling, the atmosphere, the success, the link with the fans and the city — it is my home — but I will try to win. That is what I have to do.

‘This will be quite emotional but I have to concentrate. It will not be easy when you see so many friends around but I will try to concentrate on the game. The players have to believe I can manage the situation and give them help if they need it. Normally, I am not too emotional but now I’m getting older it happens sometimes.’

article-2311345-00801A39000004B0-446_634x422.jpg

Enemy: Benitez built up a rivalry with then Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho

Benitez did not plan to fall in love with Liverpool when he arrived in 2004 but it happened quickly, helped by winning the European Cup in his first season. ‘The people are good people,’ said Benitez.
‘They are workers, they are fighters and they are loyal. When you have this relationship and you are there every day and you know more and more people, it is even better.

‘We came from Spain into a different environment and everyone was really nice. There was a great atmosphere at every game and we were doing well. We finished fifth in the league but everything was going well in the other competitions and everybody was enjoying themselves.

‘For the first time in 21 years we won the Champions League, which was massive. Then the year after it was the FA Cup, the Community Shield and the Super Cup. There were so many trophies and another Champions League final. Liverpool needed to bring back the pride of the fans and that was the situation.’

Other things dropped into place with his wife Montse and daughters Claudia and Agata, who have set up home on the Wirral and launched the Montse Benitez Foundation, which supports several local charities, including the Hillsborough Families Group.

article-2311345-028396270000044D-991_634x345.jpg

Dubious: Luis Garcia's infamous goal that saw Liverpool past Chelsea in the 2005 Champions League semis

article-2311345-02838E530000044D-581_634x401.jpg

Special Anfield nights: Liverpool earned a reputation as one of Europe's top teams under Bentiez

He improved his English by reading the lyrics of his Beatles albums, a trace of Scouse distorts his Spanish accent every so often and he returned to Merseyside when his move to Inter Milan went awry in December 2010. ‘When we went to Italy, we had to decide whether to move the family or not,’ said Benitez. ‘In the end, we moved together but when we came back you could see the smiles on their faces, so that was enough. They have all their friends here and the little one thinks she is from Liverpool because she has been there all her life.’
It is the strength of this bond which has made his move to Chelsea challenging, although he did not hesitate when he took a phone call in his hotel room last November, as he prepared for a seminar he was to give in Abu Dhabi.
His credentials to succeed Roberto di Matteo were strong, but separating his past and present lives and his personal and professional lives has not always proved easy.

article-2311345-026FAE6600000578-270_634x443.jpg

Target: Benitez had to fight off interest from Chelsea for Steven Gerrard

article-2311345-0487337A0000044D-762_634x448.jpg

Silverware: Benitez and Gerrard with the FA Cup in 2006 after beating West Ham in the final

At the heart of this lies the rivalry of circumstance which erupted between Chelsea and Liverpool. During the six years Benitez was at Anfield, the teams met 26 times. For the first 16, Mourinho was on the opposite bench.

Two big clubs were chasing the same big trophies under the leadership of two ambitious managers, new to English football.

‘When you are winning and go to finals, you want to win the finals,’ said Benitez. ‘You will defend your club and defend your team. This is the way and this is why the rivalry was so strong at this time.

‘We played in the Carling Cup final, we played in the Champions League, we played in the Premier League and, after, we played in the FA Cup and in the Community Shield. We were in tough games like the Champions League every year and the rivalry was growing and growing but this is part of the game. It was something you couldn’t change. We were always playing against Chelsea. That was the way.’

article-2311345-19604A0C000005DC-593_634x422.jpg

Legendary: Liverpool fans on the Kop display flags of Rafael Benitez and Bob Paisley

It was Mourinho who lit the fuse in Cardiff after winning the Carling Cup, in 2005, his first trophy. He put a finger to his lips to silence Liverpool fans and an arm around Gerrard’s shoulder, fuelling stories of the Liverpool skipper’s imminent transfer to Chelsea.

For Benitez, the key details of this game are fresh. ‘We were winning 1-0 from the first minute and we conceded in the 79th minute with an own goal by Gerrard,’ he said. ‘It was a goal which came from our corner, we should have played it short but we played long.

‘Petr Cech caught the ball, there was a counter-attack, Didi Hamann made a foul and from the free-kick they scored. After extra time they won and then the fans and the reaction of Mourinho created a little bit more rivalry.’

Two months later the teams met in the semi-final of the Champions League, a competition which meant so much for both clubs for different reasons. The first leg was goalless at Stamford Bridge and the return at Anfield was settled by Luis Garcia and a goal Mourinho called the ‘ghost goal’.

article-2311345-02B299A1000004B0-677_634x484.jpg

Happy memories: Benitez built up a special bond with the Liverpool fans

Benitez said: ‘It was a great atmosphere and a great game to watch. Chelsea were a very, very good team and, for us, we had to do everything.
‘It is very simple, you can argue about the goal but you have to remember the situation was a penalty and a red card or a goal, and it was a goal. So I said fine, it’s a goal.’
A warm relationship between the managers quickly cooled. ‘We were rivals,’ said Benitez. ‘After these games it was not the same, especially after the Carling Cup final. It changed things.
‘When you are the manager, you want to win. At this time, Liverpool were my team and we wanted to win. Chelsea wanted to win too.’ What lingers for Chelsea fans — and has made it hard for them to embrace their latest manager — are some of the comments attributed to Benitez during this period.

article-2311345-026200A600000514-382_634x420.jpg

Opposition: Benitez has been met with strong protests from Chelsea fans

article-2311345-1863B154000005DC-204_634x421.jpg

Unpopular: Benitez's Liverpool links made him a hard boss for Chelsea fans to accept

Many of them, including those about never wanting to manage Chelsea or claiming they were only successful because of Roman Abramovich, have been proved to be false; works of mischief by a blogger in the Czech Republic.

‘I didn’t want to keep coming out denying every single comment,’ said Benitez, but he holds up his hands to the quote about ‘plastic flags’ which struck a nerve between the first two Champions League games.

‘Our fans don’t need plastic flags,’ he said, in reference to flags laid out on seats at Stamford Bridge for fans to wave during the first leg. It is a remark still cherished by Liverpool supporters. ‘I was just trying to encourage our fans, that’s all,’ said Benitez.

‘You try to create a good environment and if you remember in the Champions League semi-final, there was massive support from our fans for our players. It had to be like this.

‘If you have a chance, now with Chelsea, you would try to do the same, for everyone, for the team. I’ve tried to bring everyone together here, supporting the team. I did the same there and I will do the same if I have to go to another team.

‘Everyone has to have the same targets and the fans are very important for every team, for the motivation of the players. It’s the same in every club. If the fans are behind your players, it’s much better.’

Out: Rafael Benitez saw Chelsea beaten in the FA Cup semi-finals by Manchester City on Sunday
These are not words directed at the Chelsea fans who have made his life uncomfortable but they are relevant at a time when the club are fighting to get back into the Champions League.

He made this point after winning at Middlesbrough in the FA Cup fifth round and some of the hostility has eased. Victory at Fulham on Wednesday moved Chelsea into the top three of the Barclays Premier League.
Form has improved despite the FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester City and Fernando Torres, also making a return to Liverpool but unlikely to be received with such affection, looks more dangerous than at any time since his transfer.

‘He was one of the best,’ said Benitez, reflecting on the time he brought Torres to England. ‘I don’t like to say the best. There’s always someone else doing well and you can’t say “He’s the best” but he was one of the best, scoring a lot of goals.

‘He had the energy, the pace and movement you were looking for as a striker and you can see it’s still there, you can see in the last few games.

‘When we arrived at Chelsea he had some good games but now he’s scored some goals and the movement and understanding is much better. It is down to confidence and his work with the fitness coach in the gym and focus on his performance.’

For Benitez, there are 15 points to play for, starting at Anfield. It will not destroy his status in Liverpool if he takes three back to Stamford Bridge, and it will not harm his reputation among Chelsea supporters.

Special One spooked by a ghost goal

April 18, 2013
By Robin Hackett
(Archive)
Liverpool take on Chelsea in the Premier League this weekend, with Rafa Benitez making his return to Anfield in the away dugout. Eight years ago, Benitez was in charge of the Reds during a Champions League semi-final clash with Jose Mourinho's Blues. After a goalless draw in the first leg at Stamford Bridge, the tie would be settled by one of the most controversial goals the competition has seen in recent years.

Though they are not traditional rivals, a simmering tension between Liverpool and Chelsea has emerged in recent years that escalated with a series of high-intensity Champions League clashes. The clubs' first ever European meeting, a semi-final in 2005, lit the touchpaper.

josemourinhorafabenitez20050101_275x155.jpg
PA PhotosRafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho arrived in the summer of 2004 after great success on the continent

Ahead of that season, the sides had brought in two of Europe's most highly respected young coaches as they each made preparations for a bold new era.

The new Liverpool coach, Rafa Benitez, was brought in from Valencia, where he had won league titles in 2002 and 2004. He made a tearful exit from the Mestalla, brought about, he said, by the board's failure to adhere to his transfer requests - "I was hoping for a sofa and they've brought me a lamp," as he famously put it - which he felt had undermined his "personal morale".

He had joined the Reds as a champion, but his arrival was rather overshadowed by that of the exuberant Jose Mourinho, who had lifted the Champions League with Porto in May. At his unveiling as Chelsea manager that summer, Mourinho had given himself a nickname that has endured. "Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one," he said. "Not in the bottle with the rest."

For the most part in that first season, Mourinho was the "Special One". His Chelsea side had seized control of the Premier League by November and, in the Champions League, dispatched Barcelona and Bayern Munich as they marched to the semi-finals.

Liverpool, meanwhile, had not even hinted at a title charge, but they had also booked a place in the Champions League semi-finals - defeating Bayer Leverkusen and Juventus in the knockout stages - as well as reaching the Carling Cup final. There, they were beaten by Mourinho's Chelsea, as they had been in their two meetings in the league.

"They have had a fantastic season," Benitez acknowledged ahead of the European clash. "They have almost won the Premier League, they unfortunately won the Carling Cup, and they are in the semi-finals of the Champions League. That is enough. You can pinpoint weaknesses here and there, but against Chelsea you need to do everything perfectly if you are to beat them because they have such a good team."

That Chelsea were the favourites was clear. Mourinho described Benitez as "one of the top managers in the world", praising his organisational skills in the quarter-final success over Juventus - but such had been the success of his own debut season in England that he was beginning to deem his "Special One" tag unworthy of his abilities.

"At the time I said that, I had just become a European champion, so my ego was up here," he said, moving his hand level with his face. "Now it is even higher."

josemourinhopremierleaguetrophy2005_500x692.jpg
GettyImagesChelsea won the league at the end of April, and would finish the 2004-05 season 12 points clear

After the semi-final first leg at Stamford Bridge, it was the Liverpool manager who took the plaudits as his side nullified the Blues in a goalless draw, but Mourinho's confidence remained unchecked.

In the days that followed, Chelsea were crowned champions of England for the first time since 1955, and he remained adamant that they would secure a positive result at Liverpool. "I do not know the feeling of losing semi-finals," he said. "One day I will be beaten, but not this week."

Yet belief was growing at Anfield. Tickets were changing hands for £1,500 each - more than 30 times face value - as supporters eyed an opportunity to witness the Reds' return to the European Cup final after a 20-year absence. "I can only imagine what it means for their supporters, so I think the pressure is on them," Mourinho said. "I relish the hostile atmosphere."

Only four minutes into the second leg, amid a wall of noise, the hosts seized the advantage. Milan Baros beat Petr Cech to Steven Gerrard's flick into the box and lifted the ball over his countryman before being knocked to the ground by the goalkeeper. Luis Garcia nipped in to divert it towards goal as William Gallas ran across to clear.

Garcia raced away in celebration, but even with the benefit of countless television replays it remained unclear whether the whole of the ball had crossed the line. The linesman, though, felt it was a goal, and the Reds had the lead.

The visitors would have to chase the game but, despite the wealth of attacking options at their disposal, they struggled to carve out clear-cut opportunities. Benitez, having impressed Mourinho with his tactical acumen in the previous round, had found a way to stymie Chelsea's chase.

In the first half, Joe Cole managed to lob Jerzy Dudek but missed the target; in the second, Frank Lampard powered a low free-kick past the Liverpool wall but not the goalkeeper. It was not until deep into injury time that the Reds were truly exposed, though, when Dudek failed to deal with a header across the box, but Eidur Gudjohnsen drove wide of the goal.

With that miss, Mourinho was beaten in a European knockout tie for the first time, undone by Benitez's tactical masterclass. "He proved that he maybe is the best manager in the world," Liverpool defender John Arne Riise said. "Tactically, we played a perfect game."

For Mourinho, though, the victory was unjust, and the post-mortem would be dominated by his assertion that his team had been defeated by a ghost goal.

"What can I say to you? The best team lost. That's for sure," he told the media. "They score - if you can say that - they score... we can say the linesman scored. So they were in a position of 1-0 up, and they just defend. They did it well. They were lucky.

"What everybody was speaking about, the power of Anfield Road, I felt it. Magnificent. I felt it didn't interfere with the players but maybe interfered with other people. It maybe interfered with the result. You should bring the linesman here and ask him why he gave a goal because, to give a goal, the ball must be 100% in and he must be 100% sure that the ball is in. He made a mistake, and that's life."

luisgarciagoalvchelsea2005_275x155.jpg
GettyImagesLuis Garcia looks on as William Gallas attempts to clear his goal-bound shot

For Benitez, it was immaterial whether the ball had crossed the line, given that Cech had appeared to deny Baros a clear goalscoring opportunity in the build-up.

"I have not seen the goal," he said. "I have seen a penalty and red card before, but I have not seen the goal. I don't know if he scored or not, but for me it was a penalty and red card. In the end, it was a good goal."

The nature of the goal mattered little to the Spaniard. After four failed attempts, Liverpool had finally derailed the Chelsea juggernaut, and at the moment when the stakes were highest. Mourinho, having won the UEFA Cup and Champions League during his last two seasons with Porto, would now have to content himself with just domestic success in his first season in England.

Yet while his team had been unable to unlock the Liverpool defence, he felt no cause to reassess his standing in the game. Asked at his post-match press conference whether he should still be considered the "Special One", he replied: "For sure. You want to try and succeed in your job like I have done in mine inside three years? You have no chance."

What happened next? Liverpool came from three goals down to beat AC Milan on penalties in one of the most dramatic finals ever seen. Mourinho, who was unable to guide Chelsea to a European final before departing the club in 2007, has maintained his bitterness over the match-deciding goal. "Overall, I have not been lucky in semi-finals of the Champions League," he said in 2012. "I lost one with Chelsea due to a goal that wasn't a goal. The ball didn't cross the line."

Rafa can fuck off.

I hope they get a proper hammering and then he can fuck off back to London alongside Fat Frank and EBJT.

The perfect scenario would be for us to be winning 3-0 with Anfield erupting into the Rafa song.
Don't want to hear his name if it's 0-0 or we're losing.

Rafa, loved by the faithful, kind of appreciated by the thoughtful, and derided by the amnesiacs

I'll always have a huge soft spot for Rafa. He has a vein of cold, mental, control-freakery in him, but he's a gooey sentimentalist when it comes to LFC, something true of any fan.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a tear in his eye when the Anfield crowd inevitably chant his name tomorrow.

Interesting read. Rafa must regret letting this happen.

I did not betray Benitez, he just forgot his principles: Former Liverpool No 2 Ayestaran speaks out ahead of Rafa's Anfield return
By CHRIS WHEELER

The walk from Rafael Benitez’s front door in Caldy to the home of his old friend and right-hand man, Pako Ayestaran, in Hoylake only takes 10 minutes.

It’s a testament to their love of Merseyside that both have stayed long after leaving Liverpool. Yet, over the last six years, the paths of two men who travelled the world together and conquered Europe have not crossed once.

‘It’s unbelievable but that’s the way it is,’ says Ayestaran, speaking for the first time about the split. ‘I think it’s sad because we’d been together for so many years. To lose that is a pity.

‘To keep a relationship for 12 years is probably more than many married couples. There were moments when we knew what the other was thinking without even talking. It was a close relationship and I’m proud to be part of the success.’

Pair: Pako Ayestaran served as Rafa Benitez's assistant for a long time but left in 2007

Breakdown: Ayestaran left Liverpool in 2007

Benitez and Ayestaran first met at Osasuna. They went on to win promotion with Extremadura and then Tenerife after a one-year sabbatical that included studying Sir Alex Ferguson’s methods at Manchester United.

Two La Liga titles and the UEFA Cup followed at Valencia, and the success story continued at Anfield until late August 2007, the day of Liverpool’s squad photograph, when their differences came to a head and Ayestaran walked out.

‘Things began to change when we arrived at Liverpool and were so successful,’ he says. ‘In England the people around the game, even for myself, make you feel that you’re bigger than you really are.

‘Sometimes you don’t take care of the values and principles that made you so successful. Maybe we didn’t have as much detail in training. I wasn’t able to convince him that we should go back to our principles and stick to them.

‘There was a difference between the beliefs that were so rooted in myself, beliefs that we applied for many years and got us success. We were running away from them.

‘We stopped being critical with ourselves and sometimes we went through the motions. That’s the reason I wasn’t happy.’

Benitez accused Ayestaran of betraying him by talking to other clubs behind his back when Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao made an approach, describing it later as ‘a wound that still hurts’.

‘That’s not true,’ insists Ayestaran, who also turned down an offer to join Avram Grant at Chelsea after leaving Anfield out of respect to Liverpool. ‘Rafa was always the first one to know. He was aware of everything.’

So would he shake his old friend’s hand if they met?

Sour end: Benitez accused Ayestaran of betraying him

‘Yes, no problem,’ he says. ‘We decided a long time ago that we were going to take different paths but I have learned a lot from him.

‘At the same time he has probably learned a lot from me and the staff surrounding him. It wouldn’t be fair to just highlight his knowledge without how much he got from everybody who helped him and myself to be successful.’

Ayestaran knows Benitez well enough to say he will not have been fazed by protests from Chelsea fans over his appointment at Stamford Bridge and the issue of his ‘interim’ title.

‘No, it will bounce off him,’ he insists. ‘You don’t mind what they call you. You want to be called manager or coach, never mind, just do it your own way. One of the strengths of Rafa is that he’s always been able to focus on doing things, except when maybe he’s forgotten the principles.’

That’s why Ayestaran has little doubt that Benitez’s so-called outburst over the situation at Chelsea in February was as premeditated as his famous ‘fact’ rant at Ferguson in 2009.

‘He has shown over the years that he knows when and why he has to say something,’ he says. ‘It should be one of the strengths of every manager. When you do or say something it has to have purpose behind it.’

Ayestaran is sitting in the London hotel where he stays when working as an expert analyst on Sky’s coverage of Spanish football.

Homecoming: Benitez will return to Anfield on Sunday when Liverpool face Chelsea

He is a passionate scholar of the game. A laptop is open in front of him and he quotes widely from American basketball coaches to studies into training techniques at the University of Porto. He has even written down some recent quotes from Ferguson and Yaya Toure to support his theories.

He looks remarkably fit for a 50-year-old, which is perhaps not surprising given his reputation as a top fitness trainer.

His role at Liverpool extended far beyond that, however, and it is notable that Benitez won all his trophies at Anfield in the three years Ayestaran was at his side and nothing in the three years after he left.

‘Not only myself,’ he insists. ‘There was Jose Ochotorena the goalkeeper coach and Paco Herrera who was coaching the second team and doing the scouting. We had the right synergy between us and once we left all those synergies disappeared.’

Opposition: Benitez has been met with strong protests from Chelsea fans

Unpopular: Benitez's Liverpool links made it harder for Chelsea fans to accept their interim boss

Since leaving Liverpool, Ayestaran has worked an assistant at Benfica, Valencia and Al Ahly in Dubai. He was also sporting director at Real Sociedad. But he started out as a manager and now believes the time is right to be his own man again.

‘I really feel that I’m a far better coach than I was a few years ago,’ he says. ‘I know clubs from top to bottom because I’ve been involved with mostly everything.

‘We’ve heard so many times that clubs can’t compete at a higher level because they have no budget to buy quality players. Often that’s an excuse, it’s rarely just about money. It’s about doing things differently and that’s one of the things I can add to the clubs.

‘I’ve got so many things to express and put in practice. You have to transform the club, the way of doing things and the players. One of the problems in football sometimes is that the players go through the motions in training.

‘When people ask me about my greatest achievement, I never talk about the Champions League, FA Cup and La Liga. My best achievement was being able to convince this level of players like Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso, Ayala and Canizares that you have to get results through being committed in training.

‘I still keep in touch with Stevie and Carra, so many players. I can talk proudly of my relationship with them.’

Translation: I'm really good, can someone please give me a job that doesn't entail sitting next to Ballague for 2 hours?

Liverpool midfielder Lucas has admitted it will be 'strange' to see his old boss in the opposition dugout. The Brazilian was handed the task of replacing Xabi Alonso by Benitez and heavily criticised by Liverpool fans before winning them over.

'Everyone knows the importance of Rafa, and especially for me,' said Lucas. 'He was maybe one of only a few people who really believed in me when I first came to the club and he gave me the chance to prove people wrong.
'I'll always be grateful for that because if it had been another manager maybe I wouldn't have still been here.'
In an interview that will be published in today's match programme, Lucas added: 'Rafa was very important for my development and it will be strange [to compete against him], but we know how football works. He is now trying to do well for Chelsea and we hope we can beat him.'

http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom