• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Milking him to the end

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member

Call me cynical but...............................

NEWSLiverpool fans to say 'Danke, Jürgen' at special farewell event

jurgen-klopp-event-09052024.webp

PUBLISHED 48 MINUTES AGO
By Liverpool FC
FacebookTwitterEmailWhatsAppLinkedInTelegram

Liverpool supporters will have the opportunity to be part of a special farewell to Jürgen Klopp later this month, alongside a host of famous faces from the world of sports and entertainment.
‘An Evening with Jürgen Klopp & Special Guests’ at the city’s M&S Bank Arena will take place on Tuesday May 28, and promises to be a night full of memories, magic moments and music.
Celebrating his nine years as LFC manager, Klopp’s final goodbye to supporters will be hosted by lifelong Reds fan John Bishop and will feature performances from Liverpool bands Lightning Seeds and The Zutons, alongside others – including award-winning singer Alfie Boe.
The exclusive event, in association with promoter AEG, will also include a live Q&A with Klopp, hosted by LFCTV’s Peter McDowall.
“This is going to be a very special night, with lots of fantastic memories shared and plenty of great music too,” said Klopp. “I’m really looking forward to spending it with our fans, the heartbeat of this wonderful and unique club.”
Doors to the M&S Bank Arena will open at 6.30pm and the event will start at 8pm on May 28. Tickets are from £37 and all ticket information is available here.
LFC season ticket holders and Official Members will be able to pre-register their interest for a chance to purchase up to four tickets per registration. Seasonal hospitality members will be able to pre-register their interest in hospitality tickets for up to the maximum number of seats they are contracted to seasonally.
Registration is now open online and will close at 8am on Monday May 13.
Disabled supporters can contact the dedicated accessibility line on 0151 264 2500, option 1.
A donation from the ticket sales for the 9,000-seater event will go to the club’s official charity, LFC Foundation.

Tbh I'm just surprised they're not charging for a live stream as well

We are also still waiting for a streaming giant to pickup the documentry for the season which no one is really interested in. Not one of our wisest moves strategically…

Doesn't look at all like a case of 'jurgen doesn't want to talk for three hours straight but the only acts anyone has heard of who aren't busy at three weeks notice on the entire planet are...'

Klopp: "Its neither my idea, nor am I involved in any organization. I don't think I could even organize tickets, if I'm right. But it's fine, i didn't want that, I'm not involved in that."

Alfie Boe singing ynwa was as nauseating as it was embarrassing. The Lightning Seeds were more bearable and only played two songs.... But then Klopp came on and was great. What a dude. On the whole much better than I thought it would be.

I was a little worried to start with. Shmaltzy music, video clips of stars offering whimsical tributes, then the opening pop act didn’t come out onto the stage on time. This could have been a dire evening, organised to pay tribute to the departing Liverpool manager (the billing of the evening was “Danke, Jürgen”), but which could so easily have ended in a deluge of sickly sentimentality. My toes were already starting to curl ten minutes in.
Then Herr Klopp walked onto the stage. 10,000 Liverpool fans, packed into the M&S Bank Arena, rose to salute him, serenading him, chanting his name, to the point where he had to raise his hands to call for order. But this wasn’t what saved the evening; it was Klopp himself. In a sustained, intense, sometimes painfully honest interview — conducted by the comedian John Bishop and in-house TV presenter Peter McDowall — he offered insights into his philosophy, wit, and, perhaps above all, character.

There have been many assessments proffered of how and why Klopp revived a club that was — as Bishop put it in his opening monologue — a little lost. He bought good players, improved others, connected impressively with the fanbase, worked more or less effectively with the owner, Fenway Sports Group, but my sense is that his greatness as a leader was to glimpse the importance of that complex, subtle and ephemeral thing: culture. He recognised on arriving at Anfield that this was a club that needed to be reimagined from the bottom up.
He spoke of what he still regards as one of his most important interventions at the start of his tenure, when he gathered the players in the media room and asked the staff to walk through one at a time — gardeners, cooks, fitness coaches, you name it. He asked his players: “Do you know these people? Do you know their names?” The players, embarrassed, realised that they often didn’t have a clue. “They are here to help you to perform 100 per cent. They are part of the team,” Klopp told them.
Then, during the first international break, with most of the top players away, Klopp took the staff to Tenerife along with their families to get to know them better. He described this as another seminal moment — “perhaps the most important of all” — since it helped the team behind the team to bond. “I didn’t know these people before I came here, but they became friends. Friends for life”.
This was, in many ways, the leitmotif of the evening. Fans doubtless wanted to hear about the player selections, tactical changes and brilliant performances that have stirred Anfield over the last eight or so years, but Klopp was interested in talking about moments when nobody was watching, when the cameras were not present, when balls were not being kicked; about the subtler, more human process of knitting people together and forging foundations. “We had to get the culture right,” he said. “That’s what this club is about.”
There were spikier moments too. The biggest cheer of the night came when Bishop alluded to the 115 charges against Manchester City, which the champions deny. “You leave this club having won the Premier League once,” he said. “There could be a court decision that means you’ve won the Premier League three times…” Klopp interrupted with a flash of the eyes: “If you organise a bus parade, I’m in. How long it takes, I don’t care.”
Klopp was roared on stage by 10,000 fans at the M&S Bank Arena

Klopp was roared on stage by 10,000 fans at the M&S Bank Arena
GETTY
He was also asked about how Liverpool might have fared with more cash, perhaps breaching spending rules in the process. “Can you imagine LFC as the club with unlimited money?” Klopp replied. “Imagine Kylian Mbappé came here. Imagine [Jude] Bellingham came here, [Erling] Haaland. It is not us, it just does not fit. We won what we won and we did it the Liverpool way. We had hard conversations and other clubs didn’t do that in the same time.
“We built two new stands, a new training ground, we bought Melwood back — the dumbest idea I ever heard was that we sold it in the first place. The owners do what owners do. Surprise. The owners want to earn money. Sorry to tell you that. It’s not like they earn money on a daily basis: they invest something and that’s how the whole world goes.
“We should be really happy that we have these owners and not guys who bought London clubs and other stuff. I wouldn’t have survived a year at Liverpool [with them in charge]. ‘Great development, but not good enough, sack him!’ A year later: ‘Sack him’. Then finally they play football where people think they might be back and they sack the manager anyway. People always think the grass is greener, but we have owners who really feel responsible for the club and work really hard as well to be successful. I felt supported. We did it as good as we could have done and I’m fine with it.”
The evening had other elements too. Classical singer Alfie Boe sang You’ll Never Walk Alone, the Lightning Seeds played a couple of numbers, and then various trophies were walked onto the stage by former players. David Fairclough carried the League Cup, Phil Thompson the European Cup, Becky Easton the Community Shield and Steve McMahon the Premier League. There was a particularly lovely moment when Klopp talked about what Liverpool has come to mean to him. “Aside from marrying Ulla, joining Liverpool was the best decision of my life,” he said.
Klopp clearly enjoys himself but he was moved to tears after a video montage of his greatest moments was shown

Klopp was moved to tears after a video montage of his greatest moments, which was followed by the audience rising to its feet to sing another anthem to their hero; a boy who grew up, he told us, “not expecting to be famous”. He was humble enough to say that the outpouring of affection was “over the top”, that he didn’t deserve “so much”. There was another comment, which I didn’t quite catch over the din, but along the lines of: “This love is like a wonderful bucket of water, but I am trying to catch it in a cup” — reminding me of that sublime line by Crowded House in Don’t Dream It’s Over.
But now, for Klopp and for Liverpool, it is over. This German lover of Erdinger (a passion I wholeheartedly share), who met his wife at the Munich Oktoberfest, whose grin could light up a small town, and whose eloquence in a second language remains astonishing after all these years, takes his place alongside Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and Kenny Dalglish as a towering icon of Liverpool football club. He’s like the fifth Beatle, an honorary Koppite, the man who holds the keys to the city and to the hearts of a million Scousers.
“I don’t really think there’s any other city in the world that would do something like that tonight.” Klopp said at the end. “Tonight was a celebration of the three things this city represents. In difficult times, we took our time tonight to celebrate three things. Music, football and life. Thank you very much. You are outstanding. I love you to bits. Thank you.”

Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool farewell: City, owners, speaking to Slot and his future​

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - MAY 28: (THE SUN OUT. THE SUN ON SUNDAY OUT) Jurgen Klopp ex manager of Liverpool showing his appreciation to the fans at the end of the event at M&S Bank Arena on May 28, 2024 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

By James Pearce
7h ago

Jurgen Klopp couldn’t hold back the tears.
After a montage of the highlights of his Liverpool reign was played on the big screen inside the city’s M&S Bank Arena, he was serenaded for nearly two minutes by a sell-out crowd of 10,000 singing, “I’m so glad that Jurgen is a Red.” Puffing out his cheeks and wiping his eyes, he got to his feet before delivering his customary fist pumps one last time.
This was the final date in Klopp’s goodbye tour and his adoring public lapped it up.
It started with a video message from James Bond actor Daniel Craig: “In the few precious moments I spent with you, I said, hand on heart, I would follow that man anywhere. Thank you for what you’ve achieved at Liverpool Football Club. It’s been quite a ride. Your ability to cut through the bull**** and get to the heart of what really matters has inspired me and millions of people around the world. Wherever you go and whatever you do, I wish you and your family only joy.”
There was music from singer Alfie Boe and Liverpool bands the Lightning Seeds and the Zutons, but the main event was a Q&A with Klopp hosted by comedian John Bishop and LFCTV presenter Peter McDowall.
Looking tanned after a week in Majorca following his Anfield send-off, Klopp didn’t hold back after being asked about Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges for breaching financial rules and whether he felt he had been backed sufficiently by Liverpool owner Fenway Sports Group. There was a dig at Chelsea’s owners following their decision to sack Mauricio Pochettino, and he also revealed that he had held “good talks” with his successor Arne Slot. Here’s the best of it.

On Manchester City….​

Klopp: “I got told what we are not talking about, it was on the list! TNT (Sports), no 12:30pm kick-offs discussion, we don’t talk about referees. We don’t talk about Man City or financial things, I don’t know why? VAR, we don’t talk about that.”
It was Bishop who raised the subject of Manchester City and the charges they are facing, referring to the fact that Pep Guardiola’s side beat Klopp’s Liverpool to the title by a solitary point in the 2018-19 and 2021-22 seasons. The comedian had asked fans on Instagram what they wanted him to ask the outgoing manager.
“It came up time and time again,” Bishop said. “You leave this club having won the Premier League once. There could be a court decision that means you’ve won the Premier League three times…”
GettyImages-2155084017-1024x681.jpg

Klopp speaking during the event (John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
Klopp: “If you organise a bus parade, I am in! How long it takes I don’t care!
“You might remember the game we played against Man City where the ball was pretty much in before John Stones cleared it (off the line in a 2-1 defeat at the Etihad in January 2019). Then City won at Burnley with the ball over the line by the same distance. Can you be more unlucky? It’s just a fact. It’s not that I wake up in the night and think, ‘Oh my god, 11 inches!’. Sorry! The handball of Rodri against Everton (when a penalty wasn’t awarded in February 2022), come on! But I’m still a happy man. If I came in here tonight and said goodbye would you be in a different mood if you won the league three times? The relationships we created are independent of trophies. It’s based on trust, togetherness, and the things we went through together.”

On FSG and whether he felt the owner had backed him sufficiently financially…..​

Klopp: “I don’t understand it. It’s just the world we are living in. Can anyone imagine Liverpool as the club with endless money? Kylian Mbappe comes here. Jude Bellingham comes here. Erling Haaland comes here. It is not us. People can judge me for the finals I lost, no problem. I couldn’t care less. We won what we won and we did it the Liverpool way. That’s how I see it. The owners are good people. We had hard conversations and other clubs didn’t do what we did in the same time. We built two new stands and a new state-of-the-art training ground. We bought Melwood back (for the women’s team) — the dumbest idea I ever heard was that we sold it in the first place.
go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Return to Melwood: What it means for Liverpool Women

“The owners do what owners do. Surprise! Owners want to earn money. Sorry to tell you that. It’s not like they earn money on a daily basis: they invest in something and that’s how the whole world goes. We should be really happy that we have these owners and not guys who bought London clubs. Imagine that! I wouldn’t have survived a year at Liverpool (with them). Sack him, a year later sack him. Finally, they (Chelsea) play football and everyone thinks, ‘Oh, they might be back’ — and then they sack the manager anyway.
“Somewhere else the grass is always greener. We have owners who feel responsible for the club. Are they the best in the world? I can’t say, I don’t know the others — but they worked really hard as well to ensure we were successful. I felt supported. If others make of it that if I’d been supported more we would have won more, I have no clue. We did it as well as we could and I’m fine with it.
“Much more often than not we picked the right transfers. I can’t remember a player where I thought, ‘Wow, if I’d known that I wouldn’t have signed him’. They are young and under pressure. Sometimes they cost a lot of money. If the whole world loses trust and faith in a player the manager has to be the one who is still behind the player because I cannot just buy into ‘he’s useless’ like other clubs did, by the way. Buying a player for £80million and then sending him out on loan! You have to be much more consistent in your thoughts than the rest of the world.”

On the contact he’s had with Arne Slot…​

Klopp: “I’ve spoken to him.”
Bishop: “How did it go?”
Klopp: “S***! No, he’s a good guy and it was a really good talk. I spoke to pretty much everybody of the new leadership team. He’s a really good manager.
“Arne or whoever, has my number and can always call me, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
“Now there will be changes. Different people responsible for different things is probably the right way. It’s not that I wanted to do it like that (have so much responsibility). It just developed in that direction with lots ending up on my desk.
GettyImages-2048271494-1024x683.jpg

Klopp said he had spoken to Arne Slot (Maurice Van Steen/ANP/AFP via Getty Images)
“We created a real good basis for the next manager so the club can go from there. It’s really important what you leave behind. The team is good. There will be a few changes and youth is coming up so nobody has to worry about the club. I want to look at Liverpool and think, ‘Wow, they won again, fantastic’.”

On his decision to stand down…..​

Klopp: “A lot of people don’t believe me when I say I’m running out of energy. It’s not that I can’t get up in the morning. Being manager of Liverpool, you can’t do it at 90 per cent. You have to be on top of your game and I’m not anymore. I cannot be here as a passenger.
“Announcing it early (in January) was important. Imagine we played against Wolves (on the final day), the families were walking around and then I said, ‘By the way, I f*** off’. That doesn’t work. The club would have problems. When you are responsible for a club like this you have to make sensible decisions and that’s what I did. Was it right? Absolutely and the timing we couldn’t change. It was a good season, not a perfect season. It’s a basis. We helped the new manager already by not winning everything so he can improve things.”

On his bond with Liverpool…..​

Klopp: “Usually a manager gets sacked at the end of his time, but if a manager leaves like I did then it’s different. What you did here tonight no other club in the world would have done. If another club had done this nine days after the last fella had left then it would have been empty. I heard I’m the third ‘Scouser’ to sell this place out. Paul McCartney, Jamie Webster and now me.
“I don’t think the human race is made for getting as much attention as I’ve had over the past few weeks. I wasn’t ready to receive this much love. It’s really difficult. I’ve known myself the longest, nearly 57 years, how can you imagine that something like this would happen? If my best friend was in the same situation I’d sit up there and think, ‘He’s probably a decent fella’. But unfortunately, you’re talking about me and I can’t get my head around that. It was nice but tricky. I got through it somehow.
“The decision to come to Liverpool, besides marrying Ulla, was the best decision of my life. It was unbelievable. I came here when I was nearly 50. I had enough friends, but I made friends for life. If it was easy to leave then what would that say about the time we had together? It’s really difficult to leave and that’s how it should be. Let’s not be sad that it’s ending, be happy that it happened.”

Biggest regret?​

Klopp: “Becoming Premier League champion and not having that a parade (due to the pandemic). Ridiculous. It somehow fits Liverpool a bit going through the s***.”

On the future…..​

Klopp: “I would say I won’t manage again but what do I know? I had a four-month break once and then the beautiful girl of Liverpool came along. I’m only 57 soon and I don’t just want to sit around and try to learn golf. I will be back here to watch games, no doubt about that.
GettyImages-2153786112-1024x683.jpg

Klopp said he would be back at Liverpool to watch games (Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
“I heard that Pep Guardiola might step down next year. Carlo Ancelotti won’t be doing it for the next 10 years. The next world-class managers are already out there so give them a chance.”

All proceeds from the event went to the Liverpool Foundation, the club’s charity. Klopp is going to continue as an ambassador. The night ended with his friend Campino, the lead singer of German rock band Die Toten Hosen, leading a final rendition of Klopp’s song on stage.
“Music, football and life. Thank you very much. I’ve got nothing else to say. If you want to sing a song just go for it,” he added.

He's such a sharp guy. So intelligent, not just in the way he uses words but in the way he manages people

Back
Top Bottom