• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

MLB Off season 09/10 & Regular Season 2010

Re: MLB Off season 09/10

Johan got through six innings of a no hitter against the Phillies yesterday. There have been a lot since the steroid testing kicked in ....

The Jays are having a nice enough season, 58-52 records thus far but we're not even close to being in contention for a playoff spot. The new GM is doing a nice job, and the lineup is raking - top of the league in homers.

According to some Bill James stat, that Morrow performance was the 4th most dominating pitching performance since 1920.

And they took him out after 100 pitches with the no hitter still going. He can't be happy about that

Cubs manager Lou Piniella says he is retiring after Sunday's game against the Atlanta Braves.

Piniella, 66, had announced in mid-July he would retire at the end of the season after 18 years in the majors as a player and another 22 as a manager.

The Cubs quickly named third base coach Mike Quade manager for the remaining 38 games of the season, starting with Monday's game at Washington.

The rest of the coaching staff would stay for now, the team said.

The Cubs have gone 102 years without a World Series title. Losing seven of their last 10, they've dropped to 20½ games behind the division-leading Cincinnati Reds in the NL Central at 51-73 entering Sunday's game

Au Revoir Sweet Lou ... One of the great characters in the game.

The human body simply isn't built to do what he can do. That was always the risk with him and to be fair the Nationals took plenty of precautions.

He's having Tommy John surgery according to the articles I've just lokoed at, haven't some pitchers come back with more velocity after having the surgery ?

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=36978.msg1164073#msg1164073 date=1282933227]
True... I'd rather not have to take the chance though!
[/quote]

yeah ...

It's a terrible shame. I really enjoyed watching him pitch this season.

Confirmed it's Tommy John ...

All the protective bubble wrap in the baseball world couldn’t protect Stephen Strasburg(notes) from the devastating setback known as Tommy John surgery.

The Washington Nationals did all they could to slowly bring along their prized rookie and his invaluable right arm—limiting his pitch count and removing him from games at the merest sign of trouble—but that didn’t stop the 22-year-old from tearing a ligament in his right elbow, bringing an end to a sensational rookie season.

And the next Tommy John candidate pitched last night for the Reds, Aroldis Chapman with his 103mph fastball.

His arm will fall off

Anyone still watching ?

I think it's a fascinating season, the AL side of the playoffs is almost set and it's going to be brutal. Rays, Yankees, Twins and Rangers.

NL is still up in the air but each of the contenders look like teams that could do serious playoff damage - Phillies and Reds are just about there but the NL West is all to play for with the Rockies, Padres and Giants all in the mix.

There's going to be a managerial roundabout this summer too with around 10 jobs expected to be available. Joe Torre will be on the move, maybe La Russa too.

Yeah, watching a repeat of Yankees-Rays now. This should be a cracking series, 1 down 3 to go. Delicately poised with about 11 games to go and Yankees 1.5 games up on the Rays.

Does it really matter who wins the al east? They've both played at each others ballparks a billion times already this year so I doubt a wildcard or al east title will make much difference?

Playoff time ! I'm looking forward to kicking back and taking a look at whatever is on ESPN tonight.
NL
Braves v Giants
Reds v Phillies

AL
Yankees v Twins
Rangers v Rays

If pitching is what actually wins games then given the difficulties that the Yankees and Rays are currently having and the fact the the Twins don't have any great pitching and the Rangers only have Lee, you've got to think the Phillies are favourites don't you ? Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt .....

Only the Giants can come close to matching up with Lincecum, Cain, Bumgartner and Sanchez. That said the Braves trio of Hanson, Lowe and Hudson isn't bad at all.

I suppose what I'm sayign is I think an NL team should win it overall.

I'm rooting for Halladay this year, he deserves a World Series. He spent 12 years with the Jays showing everyone how good he is but with no chance of success, this year he's kept it up with another Cy Young on the way to him and a perfect game.

So I'm temporarily a Phillie, I may be part of the Nation next year though !

Lee is pitching really well, despite getting into a first inning bases loaded jam & allowing a lead off double in the 2nd.

So far, 4.0, 7 ks, 0 Rs allowed.

Rangers up 4-0 after 4.

I'd like a Reds vs Rangers/Twins World Series please.

To be fair, as long as it's not the Yankees I don't really care actually.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36978.msg1190419#msg1190419 date=1286391737]
Lee is pitching really well, despite getting into a first inning bases loaded jam & allowing a lead off double in the 2nd.

So far, 4.0, 7 ks, 0 Rs allowed.

Rangers up 4-0 after 4.
[/quote]

With James Shields up for the Rays in game two you've gotta fancy the Rangers to take advantage again.

Watching the Phillies now, bottom of the third inning they're 4-0 up. And Cincy have already taken out Volquez. Halladay will take this home.

Back
Top Bottom