• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mohamed Salah

Status
Not open for further replies.
do henry and werner get involved much with the red sox or is it the same there ? they let others run it then turn up when they feel like .

We valued him at £8 and Chelsea, because people know they have the cash, have blown us out of the water with a bid for double our valuation. Weeks ago there was talk that Basle wouldn't agree to letting him go until a replacement was lined up, holding out until now is good business by them because they're getting the best deal available to them and can now go out and spend. People can bang on about us being amateurs, we lost out in the Summer to two (currently) better positioned clubs who can offer European Football and both of whom are in the capital. We've lost out on this guy because we've been priced out of a move by one of the richest clubs in World football. Shit happens, like I said, most people have barely seen him play, but like the Summer people are getting all up in arms because we haven't blown a wad on some youtube great.

We paid £18m for Sakho, I don't remember many people congratulating Ayre, or the owners or Rodgers on that.

do henry and werner get involved much with the red sox or is it the same there ? they let others run it then turn up when they feel like .

The way people like you act, you wouldn't think we were in the top few high spending clubs over the last few years, "oh the owners are this that and the other already", whatever.

Weren't you repeatedly crying throughout the Summer and marvelling at how brilliant Spurs were going to be?

We valued him at £8 and Chelsea, because people know they have the cash, have blown us out of the water with a bid for double our valuation. Weeks ago there was talk that Basle wouldn't agree to letting him go until a replacement was lined up, holding out until now is good business by them because they're getting the best deal available to them and can now go out and spend. People can bang on about us being amateurs, we lost out in the Summer to two (currently) better positioned clubs who can offer European Football and both of whom are in the capital. We've lost out on this guy because we've been priced out of a move by one of the richest clubs in World football. Shit happens, like I said, most people have barely seen him play, but like the Summer people are getting all up in arms because we haven't blown a wad on some youtube great.

We paid £18m for Sakho, I don't remember many people congratulating Ayre, or the owners or Rodgers on that.

I've got no problem with us not signing Salah; my problem would be if we weren't willing to pay the valuation, why have we spent so long in discussions with them? Why not just go, fine, and switch to the alternative target any decently-run club should have? I know very little about Salah, I didn't even watch the youtube videos, so I will be shedding no tears if we don't sign him; but I'll be royally pissed off if we don't strengthen during this transfer window because we need to if we're serious about getting in the top 4.

Every window it's the same though, all clubs start to do business at the end of the window, it's not something that's limited to us, Chelsea are only signing him now. When people questioned weeks ago why it wasn't hotting up, there were reports all over that Basle weren't prepared to talk until they had someone lined up to replace him. I'm guessing either they have someone lined up, or the fact that Chelsea have doubled our valuation, has swung it.

I think we've got more pressing concerns with midfield and full backs anyway. But we're not exactly pulling up trees there either. Lets hope we get our act together now.

I was listening to talksport in the car: "Unofficially they've heard Salah has agreed to go to Chelsea"

If true annoying but meh.

Every window it's the same though, all clubs start to do business at the end of the window, it's not something that's limited to us, Chelsea are only signing him now. When people questioned weeks ago why it wasn't hotting up, there were reports all over that Basle weren't prepared to talk until they had someone lined up to replace him. I'm guessing either they have someone lined up, or the fact that Chelsea have doubled our valuation, has swung it.

True, and there is a hefty caveat in that we're not at the end of the window, so I can definitively say we haven't done this or that. I'm just worried we will have a repeat of the summer when we went for Miki, Costa and then Willian only to be outbid or turned down each time. Then we ended up with Victor Moses, nowhere near the sort of quality we needed. I'm glad we're looking at quality players such as those I've mentioned above (bar Moses) but the fact is, if we're going to sign these people without getting into a bidding war which we will almost certainly lose, we need to move ridiculously quickly, and we haven't with Salah, his name has been mentioned for over a month now. It should have been clear a while ago it was a no go, and we should have immediately switched to the next target.

The way people like you act, you wouldn't think we were in the top few high spending clubs over the last few years, "oh the owners are this that and the other already", whatever.

Weren't you repeatedly crying throughout the Summer and marvelling at how brilliant Spurs were going to be?

Haha "the way people like you act " , that hurts .

but anyway , no i never made any predictions on how Spurs were going to do . What i did say was it was disgraceful how we seemed to have fallen behind them when it came to player pulling power . And i think i gave them credit for being aggressive in the market and spending big to make another jump , even if the money was coming from the bale sale . Thankfully it blew up for them for a while but considering they're on the same points as us now we'll have to see what happens.

and i'm well aware of how much we spend , that's not my issue , it's how badly we spend it that drives me mad. If you read this thread you'll see how i don't really give a shit whether we sign Salah or not . And yes i am aware it's not so easy to go out and get a big name player but surely we can still do more than collecting bang average players .

and i was asking a serious question , how much time do the owners spend with the Red Sox ? If they are the same with them as they are with us then fair enough.

Chelskie under Maureen have a habit of gazumping our targets and letting them rot in the reserves, Maureen done it with Rafa targets too, I seem to recall.

Is there any valuation we are prepared to meet these days?

EDIT: I know because we're not owned by some Russian Oligarch or Sheik, we can't throw our money around in the same way as Chelsea or Man City or PSG, but I'm yet to be convinced that we have an alternative plan. It's all very well having these principles but unfortunately even with FFP, the landscape is such that we need to be operating in a much more smart way.

If we didn't value Salah as much as the figure Basle were putting on him, why have we been in negotiations with them for so long? I would hope that whilst this has been going on we're working on alternatives in case the Salah deal fell through.

I always find it a little annoying when simpletons who have absolutely no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, assume by default that we must be drooling numpties with the business acumen of a potato.

If we're in protracted negotiations, it's probably because:
a) they're asking for more than we want to pay and
b) both parties feel that the other may be more wiling to compromise as the transfer window draws to a close.

I much prefer a more measured approach to transfers, one based on value, rather than the approach that saw us waste £55 million on Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing. If that means we miss out on a couple of players because we've not allowed ourselves to be bullied my selling clubs, I can live with that.

And I think it's probably safe to say that we have other targets if this one doesn't work out. Whether they're available this window is another question, but, as I'm sure you'll agree, we certainly shouldn't be spending money for the sake of it.

And I think it's probably safe to say that we have other targets if this one doesn't work out. Whether they're available this window is another question, but, as I'm sure you'll agree, we certainly shouldn't be spending money for the sake of it.

That's the bit that bothers me when we lose out on someone, I don't think there are that many options available to us this window. We missed out on that guy with the impossible name to Dortmund and didn't seem to have anything else up our sleeves.

I agree with not wasting money but it's tough to get anyone without throwing money at it these days.

I always find it a little annoying when simpletons who have absolutely no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, assume by default that we must be drooling numpties with the business acumen of a potato.

If we're in protracted negotiations, it's probably because:
a) they're asking for more than we want to pay and
b) both parties feel that the other may be more wiling to compromise as the transfer window draws to a close.

I much prefer a more measured approach to transfers, one based on value, rather than the approach that saw us waste £55 million on Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing. If that means we miss out on a couple of players because we've not allowed ourselves to be bullied my selling clubs, I can live with that.

I always find it a little annoying when posts get distilled into ridiculously simplified versions of what they were actually saying and the poster called a simpleton in addition.

You realise that I'm not actually advocating a return to spunking tonnes of cash on sub-par players, right? I mean, as far as I can recall I wasn't advocating that in anything I've ever written.

What is disturbing me, and I think not unreasonably so, is the lack of an obvious strategy with regards to transfers. We don't want to overspend on players - fine, so what are we going to do instead? Because all the teams we are competing with for players can offer more money in both transfers and wages, so how do we intend on still signing top quality players?

That's what bothers me - the lack of an alternative plan - based on what I've seen so far, incidentally, rather than my assuming anything by default. Why is it safe to say we have alternative targets? What are you basing this on?

"Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with FC Basel for the transfer of their 21-year-old attacking midfielder Mohamed Salah.

"The move is subject to the Egyptian international agreeing personal terms and completing a medical examination."

calma guys, we are still finishing top 4. Mata will add some good mood on the dreesing room and pitch but they are still far form getting thisngs right. The best way to get them on track is, sacking that negative minded manager called Moysey

Yep. He'll shake hands with the devil if he pays his salary.
I've always been in favour of Israel handing over the entire West Bank for the formation of a Palestinian state but this Salah transfer fiasco has left a sour taste in my mouth..................don't give it back Jimmy, ya hear me?

What is disturbing me, and I think not unreasonably so, is the lack of an obvious strategy with regards to transfers. We don't want to overspend on players - fine, so what are we going to do instead? Because all the teams we are competing with for players can offer more money in both transfers and wages, so how do we intend on still signing top quality players?

That's what bothers me - the lack of an alternative plan - based on what I've seen so far, incidentally, rather than my assuming anything by default. Why is it safe to say we have alternative targets? What are you basing this on?

There is not a lack of an obvious strategy, in fact I think it's quite and obviously to the contrary ! I think Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho show exactly what can be achieved. One may be one stroke of luck, two a very happy co-incidence but three is a plan in action that demonstrably works. We will lose out to those clubs with more money who can pay more for some targets, but this model seems to be working, and working well so far.

There is not a lack of an obvious strategy, in fact I think it's quite and obviously to the contrary ! I think Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho show exactly what can be achieved. One may be one stroke of luck, two a very happy co-incidence but three is a plan in action that demonstrably works. We will lose out to those clubs with more money who can pay more for some targets, but this model seems to be working, and working well so far.

Not sure Suarez can be counted, as we signed him at the same time as we spent £35 on Andy Carroll. Sturridge and Coutinho were great value for money signings, but who have we had since that fits in that category? That was a year ago, remember. Did we get value in the summer?

Not sure Suarez can be counted, as we signed him at the same time as we spent £35 on Andy Carroll. Sturridge and Coutinho were great value for money signings, but who have we had since that fits in that category? That was a year ago, remember. Did we get value in the summer?

I'd say Sakho, Toure and Ming. Suarez was in the January. I think there is a very clear strategy.

I think we've got more pressing concerns with midfield and full backs anyway. But we're not exactly pulling up trees there either. Lets hope we get our act together now.

Coutinho's been shit this season, and Sterling's still a kid - a very talented one, but we can't place all our hopes on him. We need another option on the wing.

Regardless of whether it's a priority position that needs strengthening or not, we're once again failing miserably in finalising a signing. It's a fucking comedy show. People can dress it up whatever way they want, but it is.

Chelskie under Maureen have a habit of gazumping our targets and letting them rot in the reserves, Maureen done it with Rafa targets too, I seem to recall.

We used to do it in the 80s. It's simple. We wanted him. Maureen thought he might improve us. We're 4th, they're 3rd. They are minted, we're not. They thought fuck it, let's buy him so they can't have him.

I've always been in favour of Israel handing over the entire West Bank for the formation of a Palestinian state but this Salah transfer fiasco has left a sour taste in my mouth..................don't give it back Jimmy, ya hear me?

I always knew that once we get to the core issues of the Israeli - Palestinian conflict, people like you will see the light! ... ;)

He's a fucking little provocator - he came to Tel Aviv (after having said he'd not play against an Israeli team), refused to shake hands with the Israeli players, and made gestures to the crowd. I'm glad we've missed on him, and I hope he rotes on the Chelsea bench, and even better - I hope Abramovic make him eat Matza in Passover...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom