• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

My Milksheik brings all the boys to the yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can “fair value” be conclusively calculated though? Isn’t “market price” whatever some club will pay, even if it’s just one club and they are making a stupid decision, like when United signed Pogba?
It's always going to be subjective, but there are plenty of ways to benchmark and get an acceptable range for valuation (and this is usually how it will be expressed, rather than a definitive number). In taxation, most countries have rules (transfer pricing) requiring transactions between connected entities to be at market value. You'd look at comparable transactions to get a view on value (either evidence that you sell to / buy from unconnected companies at similar values, or else you'd do industry wide research to get a market rate). So there's a whole industry based around doing this kind of work (usually accountancy firms), and their findings are usually expressed as a range.
For transfers, you'd look at other evidence where possible - i.e. before Saudi, did anyone else bid anything like the value the Saudis ended up paying, if so that's indicative of how sensible the valuation is. If you sold a player to the Saudi league for £50m and had previously had offers of £40m that you'd rejected, then you could probably argue £50m was OK - you rejected £40m because you thought the player was worth more. If the only other offers you'd had were £20m then the value looks off, unless there were other distinguishing factors between the offer and ultimate sale (e.g. contract length / age at each respective date).
You would probably also look at insurance valuation (usually split by player and notified to the insurer) / internal valuations for financial statements (prepared at each year end to assess whether write-downs are required), as these would give an indication of the value the club reasonably believed applied to each player and would be put together without being biased to justify an individual transfer. Insurance valuations would typically be re-done quite regularly (e.g. when a new player is acquired or another one sold).

At least Neville spoke up about it. Hopefully more will follow. Several clubs have adressed this to UEFA. Sadly Ceferin is hopeless and wont do anything.

No to O Keefe - anything of note to share?
Re Newcastle, the FFP rules require that transactions with affiliated entities are at fair value (that's what I'm saying Neville should be pushing) but we know UEFA / the FA shat it over City's sponsorship deals. In that case, they accepted City's assurances there was no connection, but I doubt Newcastle would be able to argue no connection with entities under control of the PIF, so the argument would be about value.
Basically O Keefe was the first European player brought into the Saudi League.
He became very good mates with one of the sons of the ruling family who wined and dined him before telling him that he wanted to be more than mates with O Keefe.
He then had to lie to say that his dad was seriously ill to get out of the country and escape with his life

There’s no reason why England or indeed Europe should be the future of football….

…there’s also no reason why it should be Saudi Arabia.

Not sure Carra makes the absolute strongest argument here (enticing "good" players to another league isn't the problem in itself, it's the sportwashing aspect and whatever corrupt thing that is going on with Chelsea that is the issue for me), but good for him to add his voice to this.

Oh, and good riddance to Bernardo.

Last edited:
Great piece of business today then Bernado and Gundo. Hope Saudis throw every oil dollar they have against KDB and Rodri next…

Crazy. What's the story in Saudi - is there much poverty? Could all this money be lifting people up instead?

I do think a lot of posts in this matter approaches this from a very eurocentric perspective. Where the honorable way to approach a career is strive to join one of the legendary teams in the top leagues located mainly in Europe. Even though, one of the main reasons players move to the PL is the salaries on offer.

For example, Neves has been accused of chasing money at the cost of his career. He has come to England paid his dues and performed to the best of his ability in the hope of being noticed by a club which has a chance of winning trophies. He has not hidden his ambitions of playing in the CL. He has not been able to do that. So what is wrong in chasing money? Also if you are super rich, the quality of life in middle east and other countries in Asia is amazing and potentially better than what you experience in the western world. It is not the case for middle class and lower but if you are in the elite class, you get access to world class schools, shopping, fashion, housing, restaurants, hospitals, etc.

Football is reaching a point where players at a select few clubs only can expect to win trophies. So what is wrong in players belonging to other clubs saying screw the system and join such leagues in Asia, whether it is Saudi or Qatar or maybe a new Chinese league. For example, in the french league, I can see these new money rich leagues being attractive to a horde of players who are not good enough to be at PSG, maybe not good enough to get a place in the French national team, but still good enough to play in Saudi league and make significantly more money. Now they are targeting the stars but once that rush is over, maybe they will target the middle level "working class" players from the big leagues to lift the overall level.

Another point not being discussed is that maybe they are not targeting the traditional fans based in Europe. When I was watching the IPL, there were tons of ads for Saudi tourism. So potentially their goal could be fanbase in India, China, and even other South East Asian bloc whose GDP is expected to be comparable to EU countries in a decade or so.

By the way, working in the middle east is seen very favorably among Indians, Sri Lankans (and potentially other South East Asian countries, maybe @Frogfish can chime in here?). Quite a few of my friend circle and distant relatives work in that area from blue collar to white collar to engineers, teachers, etc. Several folks in my circle have visited Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman etc. for honeymoon, vacation, etc. That might be the crowd they are aiming this league at outside of the locals.

Growing up in India in 1990s I became a LFC fan. Maybe in ten years, the young peekays of India will start supporting one of these clubs due to stars, connection due to fathers or uncles jobs, etc. I am not disagreeing with your or any of the points made in this thread. I am just presenting another point of view, which I feel is missing.
Sorry mate I'm hiking/camping/photographing my arse off in Iceland for a month and can hardly lift the phone each night before I fall asleep

I don't see the Chinese with any great desire to live/work in the Middle East. If they have money then it's mostly it's US, UK, Europe. Places they can invest in and buy an apartment for their child who will go to university there.

Sorry mate I'm hiking/camping/photographing my arse off in Iceland for a month and can hardly lift the phone each night before I fall asleep

I don't see the Chinese with any great desire to live/work in the Middle East. If they have money then it's mostly it's US, UK, Europe. Places they can invest in and buy an apartment for their child who will go to university there.

That makes sense. From personal experience and family, I know lot of Indians, Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's work there. I have noticed them in my limited visits. But my friends and cousins have said, there are a lot of people from Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc working there.

Hiking, camping in Iceland sounds wonderful. Not quite sure why you would travel to Iceland to photograph your arse but hey, we all have our quirks and it takes all kinds to add to the rich cultural tapestry of SCM.

Last edited:
That makes sense. From personal experience and family, I know lot of Indians, Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's work there. I have noticed them in my limited visits. But my friends and cousins have said, there are a lot of people from Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc working there.

Hiking, camping in Iceland sounds wonderful. Not quite sure why you would travel to Iceland to photograph your arse but hey, we all have our quirks and it takes all kinds to add to the rich cultural tapestry of SCM.
Haha :p

Yes from what I've seen / heard your first paragraph rings true. Lots of Africans work there (I don't think I've ever got a taxi in any of the middle eastern countries that wasn't driven by a Pakistani, Bangladeshi or African)!

Haha :p

Yes from what I've seen / heard your first paragraph rings true. Lots of Africans work there (I don't think I've ever got a taxi in any of the middle eastern countries that wasn't driven by a Pakistani, Bangladeshi or African)!

Definitely a lot of people from Africa working in the middle east.

Great discussion. I've little to contribute that hasn't already been covered. This is an excerpt from a broader discussion on sports washing:

"Of course, money has always counted; in the mid-1990s, Jack Walker effectively bought Blackburn Rovers the English league title. Yet there is a clear difference between a local businessman buying a club to which they have deep connections and a state acquiring one for their own purposes. Those purposes do not necessarily align those of fans, who through their justifications become participants in the sportswashing project itself.

The era of unlimited state wealth funding football isn’t even that fun. I would bet that almost everyone would have more fun at Isthmian League Dulwich Hamlet for £12 than watching Manchester City thump a Premier League makeweight for the umpteenth time on their way to yet another league title. My worry now is that we are on an upwards ratchet: as more and more people acquiesce to political ownership of the clubs they love, the more they will grow cynical and pessimistic about their potential to effect any change at all."

https://capx.co/the-cynicism-of-spo...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21/06/2023

Not sure where to put this, but suppose this is the best place. This may sound pessimistic as fuck, but...

I think what we're seeing here is one of the first overt plays for empirical expansion from the Middle East. This along with golf and boxing. The covert shit has been happening for decades with investment in property, sport, politics etc.

But this now, this seems like the Middle East have reached a point where they feel confident of a full blown assault on the West. And to me, it's going to be successful. This is the beginning of the end. In fact, we're probably some way past the beginning, truth be told.

Look at the absolute state of the West. All the shit with Covid, the political landscapes of here, France, America, rest of Europe etc. Look at the cost of living crisis across the continent. Look at how we're all bickering about pronouns and gender identity. Even the entertainment business is on its fucking arse. Practically every film that comes out now is horrendous. It all smacks of the end of a once-prospering civilisation, just like the Romans and the Ancient Greeks before. Our time is up.

One of the most cherished and valued aspects in the life of a lowly serf like most of us is sport/entertainment. They're coming to take it. It's one of the final pieces of the jigsaw. They have all the oil, they own all the property, they have all the politicians in their pockets, and they're about to take sport, too. They've expanded their territory and will soon encroach upon us even further. The brazenness of it is disconcerting to me, though. They know it's done. And they barely had to try or spill a drop of blood.

Meanwhile, we're prancing about in our grundies while the world burns down around us, playing the fiddle. The West is done. The Middle East will rise now to become the dominant power.

Not sure where to put this, but suppose this is the best place. This may sound pessimistic as fuck, but...

I think what we're seeing here is one of the first overt plays for empirical expansion from the Middle East. This along with golf and boxing. The covert shit has been happening for decades with investment in property, sport, politics etc.

But this now, this seems like the Middle East have reached a point where they feel confident of a full blown assault on the West. And to me, it's going to be successful. This is the beginning of the end. In fact, we're probably some way past the beginning, truth be told.

Look at the absolute state of the West. All the shit with Covid, the political landscapes of here, France, America, rest of Europe etc. Look at the cost of living crisis across the continent. Look at how we're all bickering about pronouns and gender identity. Even the entertainment business is on its fucking arse. Practically every film that comes out now is horrendous. It all smacks of the end of a once-prospering civilisation, just like the Romans and the Ancient Greeks before. Our time is up.

One of the most cherished and valued aspects in the life of a lowly serf like most of us is sport/entertainment. They're coming to take it. It's one of the final pieces of the jigsaw. They have all the oil, they own all the property, they have all the politicians in their pockets, and they're about to take sport, too. They've expanded their territory and will soon encroach upon us even further. The brazenness of it is disconcerting to me, though. They know it's done. And they barely had to try or spill a drop of blood.

Meanwhile, we're prancing about in our grundies while the world burns down around us, playing the fiddle. The West is done. The Middle East will rise now to become the dominant power.

I mean anyone who's looked into investments in US universities will know that this was a long staged battle plan.

However, China is the next super power. The middle east will be subservient to them.

Yep like I said in a separate thread this is the start of the super league

I mean anyone who's looked into investments in US universities will know that this was a long staged battle plan.

However, China is the next super power. The middle east will be subservient to them.

Oh for sure, and we're aware of it, but we're all slaves to the mighty dollar.

That's why it's disappointing to see everything just sold off and the players going over there. I can understand it, but morally I hoped for more. It's all about to collapse over here.

As for China, I wouldn't be surprised. They think in Milennia, not in hours like the tards governing us.

China is in the same boat as us population wise. They're fucked

The reality is that this is the bottom of the pyramid scheme. It worked for a few decades but now it's over. Kinda relied on continuous innovation and population growth. The only thing that boomed since 2000 was computer power, so now we're entering a whole new landscape with no map and no torch.

Parklife

Jesus christ. The Saudis grand imperial strategy is to covet western valued brands and sports and acquire them at a loss?

When the west did empire, it was a lot more profitable, and violent!

The middle east is a very well appointed gas station compared to the west. The Saudis have a GDP that is about the same as Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom