• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New fullbacks on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
With Klopp now finally taking first visible steps towards moving Trent to midfield, Robbo's attacking qualities gradually declining and current back-up options not strong enough to provide genuine competition for either, is it time to refresh that part of the team? Midfield is often called the “engine room” of a team, but arguably full-back/wing-back positions are even more crucial to a team’s energy and ability to transition from defence to attack and vice versa - so a true squad refresh will need to address this issue.

Now Trent is not a full-time midfielder just yet and Robbo can still be useful (particularly if we start moving towards quasi back-3 systems where he can play further back and use his experience), so I don’t think this is a position where we urgently need to buy first-team ready players next summer. One could say the full-back position now is roughly where our midfield was 2-3 years ago - a perfect time to invest in some younger players who will be understudies at first and later seamlessly replace the current senior players. But if you fail to make this investment in a timely fashion, you are risking a repeat of our midfield catastrophe.

A couple of 20 year old Dutch full-backs were linked with us today, right-back Devyne Rensch from Ajax and left-back Bjorn Meijer from Brugge.

I’m sure there will be other full-back targets surfacing soon and they won't all be necessarily alike. It’s generally complicated with fullbacks as nowadays managers love to move them around the pitch; some are part CMs like Raphael Guerreiro, some part CBs in a 3, sometimes a ball-playing CB can become a useful full-back like Ben White and there are all kinds of other permutations. So I don’t think managers at the top of the game are necessarily looking for the “standard package” of orthodox full-back qualities when evaluating potential buys in this position - rather they look for one world-class quality that truly stands out, be it crossing, pace or game intelligence, and then figure out how to best incorporate that quality into their team. What we need now is new energy and genuine talent.

Last edited:
haha, imagine robbo taking that shot there.
no, you cannot, as he is incapable of simple passes even with his right, which of course makes his play more predictable

No point selling Kostas, keep him as what he brought in to be....a capable back up, something which he can be for the next few seasons.

Robbo still has 9 assists this season which is more than respectable for someone who's attacking prowess is on the decline, 0 chance we replace him this summer but if we're looking to replace him next summer then I wouldn't mind that Estupinan lad at Brighton.

With Klopp now finally taking first visible steps towards moving Trent to midfield, Robbo's attacking qualities gradually declining and current back-up options not strong enough to provide genuine competition for either, is it time to refresh that part of the team? Midfield is often called the “engine room” of a team, but arguably full-back/wing-back positions are even more crucial to a team’s energy and ability to transition from defence to attack and vice versa - so a true squad refresh will need to address this issue.

Now Trent is not a full-time midfielder just yet and Robbo can still be useful (particularly if we start moving towards quasi back-3 systems where he can play further back and use his experience), so I don’t think this is a position where we urgently need to buy first-team ready players next summer. One could say the full-back position now is roughly where our midfield was 2-3 years ago - a perfect time to invest in some younger players who will be understudies at first and later seamlessly replace the current senior players. But if you fail to make this investment in a timely fashion, you are risking a repeat of our midfield catastrophe.

A couple of 20 year old Dutch full-backs were linked with us today, right-back Devyne Rensch from Ajax and left-back Bjorn Meijer from Brugge.

I’m sure there will be other full-back targets surfacing soon and they won't all be necessarily alike. It’s generally complicated with fullbacks as nowadays managers love to move them around the pitch; some are part CMs like Raphael Guerreiro, some part CBs in a 3, sometimes a ball-playing CB can become a useful full-back like Ben White and there are all kinds of other permutations. So I don’t think managers at the top of the game are necessarily looking for the “standard package” of orthodox full-back qualities when evaluating potential buys in this position - rather they look for one world-class quality that truly stands out, be it crossing, pace or game intelligence, and then figure out how to best incorporate that quality into their team. What we need now is new energy and genuine talent.

Look his highlights and tell me doesn't belong in MF as a CDM? The way the kids breaks-up play and tackles.. defensively this guy is excellent and if Trent is doing the creative work, the attacking side of this kid shouldn't matter

Full back seems a position the relegation risk teams have options in. Leicester would be top here for me with James Justin (looked great pre-injury) and Castagne, there are 'squad options' like Livramento and Walker-Peters at Saints.

I'm not touting any of these as first teamers, but we don't even have players we trust to deputise (Klopp seems to have gone off Kostas) and these would all be safe squad options.

I hold out hope that Ramsay or Bradley get a PL loan next season to help accelerate the RB gap.

No point selling Kostas, keep him as what he brought in to be....a capable back up, something which he can be for the next few seasons.

Robbo still has 9 assists this season which is more than respectable for someone who's attacking prowess is on the decline, 0 chance we replace him this summer but if we're looking to replace him next summer then I wouldn't mind that Estupinan lad at Brighton.

The point is selling a back up at a time were he can get us a decent fee (contracted to 2025). Sign a younger player that can be the new starting left back and see Robertson evolve into a back up with time.

The point is selling a back up at a time were he can get us a decent fee (contracted to 2025). Sign a younger player that can be the new starting left back and see Robertson evolve into a back up with time.

That works as well, not sure Robbo would accept a back up spot tbh and it’d be kinda sad to see him on the bench every week…I’d personally look to keep the younger of the 2 as back up as he’s happy enough doing so and just get Estupinan.

That works as well, not sure Robbo would accept a back up spot tbh and it’d be kinda sad to see him on the bench every week…I’d personally look to keep the younger of the 2 as back up as he’s happy enough doing so and just get Estupinan.

Robbo would probably keep his place as a starter for the next few seasons. But he's 29 and planning for the future is what a well run club would do.
Buying a younger, more modern type full back would be good business.
Kostas has played 24 games so far, so getting enough game time wouldnt be a problem for a new young left back.

Considering the number of personnel we need the status, I would leave alone the LB Personnel. its harsh to judge Tsimikas when he hasn't had the playing time. We need 3 MF, 1 CB and 1RB as priority then add more if need be. I'd even try to keep Irish Kev and offer him improved terms

I want to see what Ramsay and/or Bradley can do first. I've been really impressed with Bradley and I'm sure he's going to make the grade. Whether next season is a year too early or not I don't know.

I'd definitely be looking to give Ramsay a shot next season from the first game of the season if he's fit enough for pre-season, I was quite impressed with the very little we saw of him in the first team (sadly not watched any u21/u23 games for a number of years - purely because I've lost faith in our ability to produce acacemy players)

Bradley I don't remember as much of, but the Bolton fans seem to rave about him whenever he plays as do the Northern Irish....maybe they'll be a number of championship clubs looking to take him on loan next season? Could arrange a 6 month loan with a view to recall.

I think it’s almost a certainty that Ramsay will go out on loan next season - that’s usually the best course of action after a long-term injury. He will need to get back into the rhythm of playing every week and he won’t get it here.

Bradley on the other hand has been a great success at Bolton - next season might be his best chance to make it as Liverpool player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom