• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Villareal Manager Dies of Heart Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
Manuel Preciado, who was due to be unveiled as the new coach of Villarreal tomorrow, has died of a heart attack, the Spanish club have confirmed.
Villarreal announced yesterday they had reached an agreement with Preciado to take charge of the club next season, with the 54-year-old set to be presented to the media tomorrow.
However, Villarreal said in a statement this morning "The coach Manuel Preciado died overnight in Valencia as a result of a heart attack.
"The Cantabrian, who had been chosen by Villarreal to lead next season's project, was 54 years old.
"Villarreal want to express their deepest sorrow at the sad loss and want to offer their condolences to his family and all his relatives."
Preciado parted company with former club Sporting Gijon in January following six years in charge of the Asturian outfit.
Preciado took over Sporting in the summer of 2006 and in his second season led them into the Primera Division for the first time in 10 years.
His record of 232 official matches in charge at El Molinon is second only to Jose Manuel Diaz Novoa, who sat in the Sporting hotseat for 282 games.
A statement on the Sporting website read: "With deepest regret, Sporting Gijon wish to express their sorrow at this sad loss, for someone who formed an integral part of this club's history, and send their deepest condolences to his family in this time of grief."
Prior to his time at Sporting, Preciado was coach of the likes of Racing Santander, Levante and Murcia, while as a player he represented Racing, Real Mallorca and Alaves among others.
Sporting were relegated from the Primera Division in the recently-completed season, as were Villarreal.

R.I.P.

The death of Manolo Preciado is the tragic last chapter of a life marked by misfortune. The energetic coach had many difficult moments in his personal life, especially in recent years.

"Life has dealt me several blows. It could have made me vulnerable and driven me to suicide, but I decided to look to the sky and believe." This was Preciado's approach to the harsh blows that life had dealt him, he was a fighter.

In less than a decade, the coach – who was going to be unveiled as manager of Villarreal on Friday – had to face three big setbacks, which show how cruel life can be. In 2002 he lost his wife after her battle with skin cancer, in 2004 his youngest son died in a car accident, and just over a year later his father died after being run over.

Adversity seemed to shadow Preciado. He was a coach with unyielding strength who was put to the test right until the end. A fighter has died. May he rest in peace.

1339052824_extras_noticia_foton_7_0.jpg

Casillas: "A great man leaves us. One of the best men in football. RIP Manolo Preciado,"

Ramos: "It's been the first I've heard when I woke up. Terrible news. What an unfair life. He was a great person."

Munian: "The first news this morning, the death of a noble man. RIP Preciado. All my admiration to him."

Iniesta: "It is a sad day with the loss of Manolo Preciado what a great guy I hope we can dedicate many victories to him in this tournament."

Bosque: "We're shocked. We were having breakfast and it made a deep impression on us. He was a football man who represented the values of this sport. He was a fighter who made his mark in this world."

Fabregas: "I can't believe the bad news I just woke up with. Hugs for the family of Manolo Preciado. RIP my friend."

Mourinho: "Manolo was always an honourable opponent, who I got to know well when he came to visit us in March. He had everything that I like in a person and in sportsmen: character, openness and the courage to fight against blows. We have been left by a football figure and above all by a very special person. My memory of him will be heartfelt and permanent."

RIP

Michael Owen is insisting that he signed a contract yesterday afternoon with Villareal, Preciado signed the contract himself.

As the wonderfully potty-mouthed Manolo Preciado himself would have said, “f**k”.

At around the same time as football fans were reading in Thursday’s morning papers that Preciado had been named as the new Villarreal coach and was to be presented on Friday, the news began filtering through that the 54-year-old had passed away overnight having suffered a heart attack.

Instantly, the front pages of the four main sports sites in Spain lead with the news of the loss, firmly relegating the European Championships into second place. This may not have been the case for any other manager with CV such as his. Preciado was a Cantabrian coach who had roots at Racing Santander - where he had spent time as a player in the late 70s and early 80s, but who found most success at Sporting, a side whom he lead into la Primera in 2008 and staying there against the odds until this summer. In an unhappy end to his time at El Molinón, Preciado was sacked mid-season after nearly six years at the helm.

However, it would not be an exaggeration to say that Manolo Preciado was one of the most loved and respected figures in the Spanish game, which is why tributes poured in so rapidly when the news broke of such a tragic loss to the sport.

In his first season at Real Madrid, José Mourinho found out to his cost, when he made the terrible mistake of suggesting that Preciado’s Sporting side had no desire to beat Barcelona in fixture at Camp Nou. The newcomer to la Liga quickly discovered that to doubt the integrity of figure who was so utterly passionate about the game was the gravest of insults. Later in the season, Sporting won 1-0 at the Bernabeu.

Although the start of their relationship was spiky - Preciado even suggesting Mourinho watch the Sporting vs Real Madrid with his team’s Ultras to by way of punishment - a capacity for forgiveness and a kind soul saw the pair becoming friends. Indeed, one of the Real Madrid manager's first acts after his side won the Copa del Rey in 2011 was to call Preciado to offer his condolences after hearing that his father had died in a traffic accident that day.

Sadly, heart-wrenching, personal tragedy was almost constant in Preciado’s life, with his wife passing away in 2002 and then the youngest of his two sons dying in a car crash two years later. “Life has hit me hard,” said Preciado, “it could have made me vulnerable and it could have ended with me shooting myself, or I could have looked to the heavens and carried on. I prefer the second option.”

Although he was by no means an angel, and could be as prickly and gruff as they come, it was this incredible ability to battle through despite such awful circumstances that made Manolo a figure to be both respected and loved. Preciado took his football very seriously indeed, despite the jokes and swear-fests after the game, delivered in a low, gruff grumbling voice shaped by a big love of a cigarette or two.

Sporting’s struggles last season deeply affected Preciado, who could do little to prevent the slide into la Segunda of a team that had been punching above its weight for some time. He lead the scrap from the front, with the full support of the fans and players who adored him. But as with other challenges in his life, Manolo was determined to bounce back after January’s sacking.

“I’m taking advantage of unemployment that I hope that won’t be too long to learn, improve methods, see colleagues and enjoy myself,” he explained earlier this year.

That period on the sidelines spent traveling the country watching other teams train didn’t last long at all. Preciado was set for another football battle, the one to put a broken Villarreal back together again and return the team to la Primera.

Sadly, we’ll never know whether the manager would have succeeded, as Spanish football and this blog mourns one of its dearest, most cherished figures.

Rest in Peace Manolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom